1911 or Glock

The Last Cowboy

I have professionally carried on a daily basis the 1911 (Singer made, deployed to Desert Storm with), Beretta 92F, Glock 22 and now a SW M&P.

For my hand a 1911 is a perfect fit and I now own a Kimber. For daily carry my go to is my Glock 23 in OD green. Didn't plan it that way, but I love that damn pistol. A near perfect compromise of size, capacity and stupid simple operation.

I love the way the Kimber feels and shoots. It's a standard size pistol though which is more of a nostalgia and home defense piece. If open carry should ever come to pass here, it will see a lot more use.

The M&P is what I'm issued now. My feeling about it is that it's okay, not great in any way, not truly bad in anyway. The ergos aren't for me.

As for the 92F? I would never buy one and if someone gave me one I would trade it for something else, quickly.

If you're still looking, try a few out, buy what you like the best.

I am a little late to the party but have carried both the 1911 and currently a Glock daily for work for many years. If price was no object and it was for protection my personal choice would be a 1911. The biggest limiting factor for a 1911 is the price and limit of rounds. With the Glock you could by a full size, compact and subcompact (all the same caliber and the bigger mags fit the smaller pistols) for the price of a quallity 1911. Both are reliable and I have trusted my life to both and would again. As for which one to carry. My thought is what ever gun in whatever caliber you can hit a target in a stress situation. Doesn't mater what you have in your hand if the rounds are not on target. 3 rounds of 9MM center mass will do more damage than 10 of .45 that misses and the object taking rounds won't know what type of gun you have.

jpachard

Adventurer
I am a little late to the party but have carried both the 1911 and currently a Glock daily for work for many years. If price was no object and it was for protection my personal choice would be a 1911. The biggest limiting factor for a 1911 is the price and limit of rounds. With the Glock you could by a full size, compact and subcompact (all the same caliber and the bigger mags fit the smaller pistols) for the price of a quallity 1911. Both are reliable and I have trusted my life to both and would again. As for which one to carry. My thought is what ever gun in whatever caliber you can hit a target in a stress situation. Doesn't mater what you have in your hand if the rounds are not on target. 3 rounds of 9MM center mass will do more damage than 10 of .45 that misses and the object taking rounds won't know what type of gun you have.

This. Go try both and see which one you feel more comfortable with and are more accurate. I find Glocks uncomfortable to shoot due to their grip angle but that is a personal thing. We are all different but are lucky to have all these great choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Brady

Founder
I carry a 1911 for daily use. A PARA Executive Carry with a 3" barrel and 8+1 capacity of .45 ACP. I also have a Remington R1 1911 full size and an original US&S 1911 Government. Nothing wrong with a Glock- they are a quality, reliable firearm.
IMG_7696.jpeg

mjmcdowell

Explorer
1911, 45 ACP, fullsized Colt, built by Mike LaRoccas gun works carried almost daily for the past 25 years or so. 7+1 chambered, condition 1 carry, IWB Milt Sparks summer special, 1 extra magazine, Sparks pouch also.... old school, still works, my preferred combination of several 1911's I could carry. I just can't get used to Glocks tho it is a fine handgun. mjmcdowell

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
Apples to oranges in my opinion. The 1911 is the classic fighting pistol that most all others are based off in one way or another. The Glock is a modern polymer-framed masterpiece in it's own right. I have both- several original USGI pieces from WWI/WWII and a Nighthawk Custom GRP fill my 1911 niche. My Glock is a G20. Personally I prefer the 1911 better for it's history, legacy, looks, and ergonomics. The Glock, which I think is ugly and not so great in the ergonomics department for my hands, is ultra-dependable and chambered in the 10mm auto; which I carry in the field for wildlife encounters. You won't go wrong with either, so pick the one you like the best!

tacoma_AL

Adventurer
My thoughts are as follows, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE ME SOME 1911. That being said I carry a G19 or 26 daily for these reasons
1. I have a high action job with a lot of scraping, bending, falling, rough elements and etc etc.
2. I will not subject my precious 1911s to that even though they are a tool and meant to be used as such and they are, just not while I'm at work or running an errand.
3. I pray to God I will never have to draw my CC in self defense, however, If I do, when they confiscate my gun for the investigation and what not I will not cry about losing my 330$ pistol compared to my 800$ + 1911s.

Also on 1911, while I do have a few of varying sizes, when I do carry one I always go full size, government model. I've had fewer issues with them. I've also taken several classes with my 1911s and glocks and feel proficient with both in conjunction with prior training.

Plus when I dress up to take my wife out on a fancy date, the 1911 looks so much better paired with my suit opposed to my glocks that're all scratched and worn :sombrero:

I also say shoot both before you buy to get a better feel for what you want, also 1911 should only be purchased in 45 :ylsmoke:

MT6bt

Rock hound
I guess it depends on where your travels take you. Personally, I spend more time in bear country than anywhere else, so I carry a glock 20, chambered in 10mm. It has a much higher ballistic coefficient, allowing for much deeper penetration. That is crucial when defending yourself from a bear. A .45 doesn't have enough energy to lob that manstopping slug into the vital organs of a grizzly. That being said, kimber makes a 10mm in a 1911 frame. If I had that kind of money, I'd love to acquire It. I am a much more proficient shooter with a 1911.

RBishop

I have owned a lot of pistols. Colts, Kimber, Les Baer, Springfield, S&W, Para, Beretta & Glock. I have a G19 and G17 that have 1,000s of rounds thru them. Neither one has ever failed to fire or failed to eject a round. Considering that and their magazine capacity, as well as their accuracy, Glock for me.

gm13

Adventurer
I guess it depends on where your travels take you. Personally, I spend more time in bear country than anywhere else, so I carry a glock 20, chambered in 10mm. It has a much higher ballistic coefficient, allowing for much deeper penetration. That is crucial when defending yourself from a bear. A .45 doesn't have enough energy to lob that manstopping slug into the vital organs of a grizzly. That being said, kimber makes a 10mm in a 1911 frame. If I had that kind of money, I'd love to acquire It. I am a much more proficient shooter with a 1911.

460 Rowland drop-in conversion for 1911 that trumps the 10mm, works well, though ammo is pricey relative to .45acp.
http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/rowland.htm

255gr hard cast flat nose-1300fps/ 957ft/lbs
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=69

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles