Cheapest way to reliably seat 4 and have sleeping room: truck or suv

cyclist

Observer
After returning to the states post 1 year of overlanding in South America, my girlfriend and I bought a subaru forster, this so far is a great little car for trips and around town. I am looking at adding a second vehicle in the next few months to be the camping and dirty sports rig to drive to the trails. I would like to be able to seat 4 comfortably and I am 6'3" so an extended cab truck likely won't cut it, but a crew cab would. I would also like to be able to sleep comfortably after i build some sort of platform. Most trips will involve mountain bikes or skis so easy carrying of these is important.
Roads will be around town, and forest service road with some longer trips mixed in occastionally and no real wheeling. 4wd is required for snow. The truck should be new enough to be comfortable and driver well, I also prefer manual transmissions when available.

I would like to spend $5000 or less, but want something I can drive into the mountains without worrying about getting home. I am considering crew cab trucks with 6.5' beds and caps or suburbans, and am also interested in other ideas. In order to get a crew cab with a long bed for cheap I would be buying an old HD truck, these are cool but are overkill for my needs right now and possibly more upkeep. Suburbans are less cool but can be had for cheap and it would be easy to have enough room to sleep with folded rear seats, they are also smaller for around town. An old land cruiser might work but not sure about sleeping space, and the domestic trucks are either way cheaper or way newer. Smaller suvs like a 4 runner or similar isn't enough space to sleep in, and I don't think any other big utes are in my price range.

On the truck front how do the big 3 fair in terms of reliability in a 15 year old 150,000 mile truck? A suburban is mechanically the same as a GM truck and if a ford will be a better buy I will lean that way.
Thanks

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
So you want room for 4 to sleep in the back or just room for 4 when driving and 2 for sleeping? And Suburbans are built on a truck frame, so I wouldn't consider them "smaller" for around town, but not sure if they came with a manual transmission in a long while. If you can find a 97-99 Suburban with the 6.5 TD engine it would be a good platform to start from.

cyclist

Observer
Seat 4 and sleep 2, not necessarily at the same time. Suburbans are 2' shorter than a crew cab short bed and 4 ft shorter than a long bed, not sure that matters much here in montana.
Is the 6.5 much more reliable and or efficient than the 350 gas motor? Diesel burbans are hard to find 1/2 ton gassers are everywhere, 3/4 ton 454s also pop up.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
To seat 5 and sleep 5 is my goal. I have narrowed it down to two choices.

Crew cab pickup

Montero/FJ80 sized suv with camp trailer

I don't like big SUV's for many reasons.

dblosch

Adventurer
To seat 5 and sleep 5 is my goal. I have narrowed it down to two choices.

Crew cab pickup

I have often though two Autohome tents set up this way was a great idea...

With a full-size-crew-cab-long-bed, a camper shell, and a proper storage set up/sleeping platform, theoretically you could sleep six. That would require a bench seat up front though, among lots of other stuff. Plus, I don't think Autohome sells that design anymore.

Dan

dblosch

Adventurer
To the OP- Don't discount the Chevy Avalanche. The folding midgate allows me to sleep in mine, even with a 5' bed. With a shell on the back, gear can be stored above the tonneau covers, under the shell... Then you could sleep 2 in the bed, and two in an RTT. We have an RTT on ours and it has worked out fine for the two of us with our two big dogs in the cab. When I get a shell for it, I know it will be a lot more versatile.

If you're interested in more info on the Avalanche, let me know. I can send pictures, etc. Also, check out CAFCNA

Dan

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Any CC LWB truck and 2 or 3 Mountain Hardware tents. Throw in a couple EZ ups and a tarp for good measure.

Too many Expo'rs discount tents too early on this website. Most of my travel trailer days, I spent nights in the tent or bivvy'd under the sky.

Any of the big 3 can be reliable if you do your part. Pull the starter and alternator off of any used truck you buy and have them rebuilt ASAP. Replace the battery, Fan clutch, belt, fluids, headlights etc etc. Ford's 1999+ Superduties are my favorite, but they aren't allways as easy to work on as lesser trucks.

Last edited:

p nut

butter
Just a thought, but instead of buying a new rig, what about a RTT or ground tent? You get the superb MPG of the Forester (which I guess would take a hit with the RTT), plenty of room with 4 people, hitch rack to carry bikes/skis, and you don't get to spend countless hours fixing up a $5k SUV/Truck. You're not going to be wheeling, so a truck or SUV would be unnecessary.

(Not mine)
tent3.jpg

cyclist

Observer
p-nut
the whole point is to buy a second rig, because sharing with the lady causes the occasional conflict. I also want a vehicle that can get beat on and dirty without worrying about keeping it pretty. I don't see putting more money into the truck than maintenance and a sleeping platform I build myself.
I am staying away from RTT as they don't seem to offer a lot of advantage over a big ground tent unless there is something I don't know.

Erik N

Adventurer
Suburban 3/4 ton.

I own 2, an '88 and a '96. They are a sleeper billy-goat. Tight turning radius. Reliable. Parts exist everywhere, and anyone can work on them. The back folds down flush for sleeping.

Attachments

• DSCN0185.jpg
    DSCN0185.jpg
    512.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4068.JPG
    IMG_4068.JPG
    446.8 KB · Views: 21

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
It's a HUGE truck BUT, it would be in keeping with you $5000 budget for the whole build- What about an 87-91 (or earlier but, earlier will be carb rather than TBI) square body Chevy/GMC crew cab? Look around enough and you'll find one with a manual trans. Th drivetrain is completely brute strong and easy to work on: TBI 350 or 454/SM465/NP205/dana 60/corporate 14bolt!!! You should be able to find one for about $5k. (sometimes below $5k (for a good one!!! (I've seen a real nice example pop up at $3k before but, not real often) and insurance would likely be dirt cheap) The bench seats will let you seat up to 6 in the cab (and sleep 2 in the cab), the eight foot bed will give you plenty of room for whatever else you want to carry! Just be prepared for fuel economy that will barely touch double digits!

You could save up some money to cut down the frame and swap on a shortbed later on down the road too! (they look HOT as short beds!) The ease of working on and the after market support for the 73-87 (nee 91 (for Blazer/Jimmy, Suburban, crew cab, and purportedly some no crew chassis cabs)) square body GMs is GREAT!!!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
How about a 1st gen Ford Expedition? Lots of them around for <$5k. Don't think they were ever available with a manual, but neither was the LC, Suburban or Tahoe of this era.

For that matter, how about an Explorer? 1st or 2nd gen with a 5 speed - plenty of them out there, pretty cheap, too.

Last edited:

Erik N

Adventurer
How about a 1st gen Ford Expedition? Lots of them around for <$5k. Don't think they were ever available with a manual, but neither was the LC, Suburban or Tahoe of this era.

For that matter, how about an Explorer? 1st or 2nd gen with a 5 speed - plenty of them out there, pretty cheap, too.

Don't know about an Expedition, the rear IRS is great in my book.

BUT, I owned a 1st generation Xploder that I used as a beach truck. Absolutely, positively, the WORST handling vehicle I have ever owned. They are really suitable for just the junkyard. Reliable though, but won't even sleep one adult in back.

Attachments

• DSCN0018.jpg
    DSCN0018.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3997.jpg
    IMG_3997.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 12

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior