2014 Dodge ProMaster is announced

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Based on the Fiat Ducato, that would be at 3rd option here beside the Sprinter and the Transit. FWD only but apparently diesel is available!

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/02/first-look-2014-ram-promaster-work-van.html

6a00d83451b3c669e2017d40d411cf970c-800wi

there seems to be a lot to like in this new model, especially to use as a camper platform.

Last edited:

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I like the gas option...3.6 V6...is that the pentastar?
FWD???
I would like to hold out to see this and the Ford transit before making a decision on a van purchase but I don't think I can wait until next year...

d67u57

Adventurer
interesting , though with gear and people and dogs and what not in the back?

that traction wont be the bestest.

regardless, it's a step in the right direction. i.e. bring european cars and trucks over here and rebadge the heck out of them.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
anyone seen them yet? they should be out quickly.

We saw them all over the place in Europe this summer. The front wheel drive does not seem to be an issue at all.

Last edited:

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Saw one so far on a car carrier here in WA a couple of weeks ago - none on the road or at the dealer.

I have a friend who plans on getting one to use as a camper / motorcyle hauler - he likes the lower floor height (as he's getting older) and since he rides a Ducati he plans on swapping the badging on it back to the the Ducato ones ;-)

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
+$4000 for the option of the I-4 diesel and 6 speed automated manual tranny.

Nice that the 3500 model uses single rear tires instead of the duals used on the Sprinter 3500 models - although with this being front wheel drive and not really "off roadable" perhaps it doesn't really matter much.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
With a 8900 lb gvw, and a curb weight of 4800, the 2500 version leaves a lot of room for camper builds. Not sure why you would want to spec a vehicle with almost 9000 lb capacity and 5100 lbs tow capacity with load range C P-metric tires though!

Flys Lo

Adventurer
Disappointing that the diesel isn't available with a manual (or even a proper automatic). I don't ever want an automated manual.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Disappointing that the diesel isn't available with a manual (or even a proper automatic). I don't ever want an automated manual.

Manual are in extinction across all vehicles in the USA. I am not surprised at all.

I must admit that although I personally prefer to drive manual, a good automatic transmission probably makes more sense in a delivery/work truck.

What I am curious about is the fuel mileage that the gas version will return. I have a feeling it may be over 20, which may makes it a better choice than diesel for those of us who are considering driving in countries where Low Sulfur diesel is not available.

Flys Lo

Adventurer
Manual are in extinction across all vehicles in the USA. I am not surprised at all.
Despite my personal preference, I am not surprised either.

But having an automated manual as the only transmission option with an engine, to me... makes it not an option. I have worked on the first versions of these types of transmissions (Ford Transit ASM - the most horrific transmission ever fitted to a vehicle), through to the current Dual clutch variants.

They have gotten better, but they still lag behind conventional autos in drivability, and particularly maintenance/reliability.

As for your other question, I would expect very high teens/low 20's from the gas engine. And yes, I would choose it over the diesel for both milage and reliability reasons, unless you plan on deleting DPF's/EGR's on the diesel.

Last edited:

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
While I can't comment on the parts of the country where snow is an occasional event rather than a usual occurrence, everywhere I've lived or traveled in the snow belt it seems that 4x4 pickups are about 70% of the market, yet 4x4 vans are few and far between. It seems to me that there is a market for 4x4 vans in the US.

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior