1994 Land Rover Defender 90

chris snell

Adventurer

Asking Price: $41,900 OBO.

Posted on eBay here: http://r.ebay.com/mWvfYc

More photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/defender90/sets/72157632769770740/

For brevity's sake, the auction does not mention any of the accessories or recently-replaced items. Since these may be of interest to ExPo folks, here's a list:

Aftermarket parts:

Badger Coachworks top with gutter kit and door seals
BFG Mud Terrain KM2 285/75 R16 (~4,000 miles ago)
Superwinch Husky 10
Expeditionware Synthetic Winch Line
RN heavy duty front bumper
Brownchurch Camel Trophy-style brush guard
Dixon-Bate 3.5-ton tow jaws (x2)
Expeditionware backing plates for tow jaws
Ancor marine-grade 2ga wire to winch
Hella H4 headlamps
ARB heavy-duty wiring loom for headlamps
Mantec raised air intake
New air vent seals
Rock Ware sliders
RoverTracks HD steering link and drag link
Rock Ware diff guards (front and rear)
Detroit Locker TrueTrac (front)
GBR 4.11 gears (front and rear)
RoverTracks HD axles (front and rear)
RoverTracks HD CVs
Disc Brake Australia vented, slotted, and drilled rotors (front)
Disc Brake Australia solid slotted and drilled rotors (rear)
ANR4583 "Wolf" wheels, powder coated satin black
JSQ-style battery box with Blue Sea Systems fused power distribution panels
DieHard Platinum PM-1 battery
All wiring uses Ancor marine-grade wire and heat-shrinked marine-grade terminals
Garrison Outfitters window seals
Gulf Coast Rovers stainless steel door top posts
Brand new seats (original 94 NAS style) for driver and passenger
MUD-UK seat rails on driver's side
Tuffy lock box
Custom-built rear storage box, stainless steel (powdercoated), locking, keyed to match Tuffy box.
Custom-built stainless Y-pipe and catalytic converters, stainless muffler, factory Genuine Parts tailpipe
Rock Ware HD trailing arms
Detroit Locker (rear)
Tom Woods double cardan driveshafts, freshly rebuilt (front and rear)
Old Man Emu LTR shocks
Old Man Emu springs (2" lift)
Expeditionware Spring Retainers
JSQ rear receiver hitch
Dixon-Bate 5-ton tow jaw (rear)
Expeditionware backing plate for DB tow jaw
Expeditionware Convex Mirrors (L & R)
Freshly rebuilt rear tire carrier, media blasted and powder coated

Recent Maintenance

LT230 replaced with freshly-rebuilt Suffix G unit by Rob Dassler of Southwest Rovers (2012)
New chassis wiring harness, built to original style and spec by British Wiring (2013)
LR Genuine Parts fuel pump (2013)
Cylinder heads planed, ported, and polished; new head gasket installed (2012)
LR Genuine Parts water pump (2012)
LR Genuine Parts hoses (2012)
LR Genuine Parts thermostat (2012)
Tom Woods dual-cardan driveshafts (front and rear) rebuilt with fresh U-joints (2012)
Rebuilt rear hubs with fresh bearings (2012)

Last edited:

jrose609

Explorer
This truck is immaculate. I have seen it first-hand, and I can vouch for how beautiful this truck is. Chris has spared no expense equipping his rig with the best parts and off-road equipment. I know how much money Chris has spent building this truck, and although the truck may seem like it costs a lot of money, I assure you Chris' asking price is a bargain. You'd be hard pressed to find a nicer truck.

GLWS.

Last edited:

chris snell

Adventurer
Wow Chris - big move. What are your plans for replacement? Use the cash to drive around the world in a Samurai?

Definitely not getting out of Defenders. The plan is to import an ex-MOD 110, move it onto a galvanized frame and bulkhead and build up a really nice diesel truck. Like the 90, I want something rock-solid reliable and minimalistic. The ultimate setup for two-week lightweight desert trips is what I want.

chris snell

Adventurer
Details from the auction:

There are a few things that make this particular truck stand out amongst the rest:

• This truck has spent nearly it's entire life in my family. I'm not a used car salesman flipping an unknown truck. My uncle bought it from the original owner in 1995 with less than 1,000 miles on the odometer. The Defender spent its first ten years in his garage as a weekend ride until I bought it from him in 2004.
  • This truck is nearly rust-free. See pictures.
  • Mechanically, this truck is in outstanding condition. It's ready for you to hop in and drive it across the country. For the right sale price, I could even drive it to you. It needs no repairs whatsoever. I have done nearly all of the maintenance and repair on this truck myself. If a system ever showed any sign of malfunction or aging, I replaced the entire thing with Land Rover Genuine Parts. No Autozone junk on this truck and half-*** repairs by some hack down at Firestone. The engine runs as well as it did when I bought the truck at 55,000 miles. I've done all required maintenance and replaced nearly the entire driveline with fresh, new components as the truck has aged. You'll be very pleased when you take it for a test drive.
  • The dash is pristine. Unlike so many NAS Defender owners, I never drilled my dash to install a CB radio, car alarm, or some auxiliary lighting switch. The dashboards on these trucks are no longer manufactured and extremely rare to find on the used parts market. An unmolested dash becomes more rare every year.
  • The roll cage is nearly perfect. This is another item that is simply no longer available on the used parts market. Many NAS cages are cracked and dry-rotted from being left in the sun or being kept near the ocean. My cage has been kept out of the sun and treated regularly with 303 Aerospace Protectant.
  • My truck has a Badger Coachworks top, not a cheap Chinese knock-off. Chris Laws makes the finest Defender tops available. They cost several thousand dollars and I waited nearly six months for mine but they're worth it.

Why am I selling?

I've had the truck for almost nine years and I've recently decided to start a ground-up restoration on an ex-British Army Defender 110. I'm selling my Defender 90 to make room for this new project.

About the Accessories

My truck has been outfitted with a number of Land Rover aftermarket accessories. Most of these are items that were spec'ed by Land Rover for their Camel Trophy vehicles during the 80s and 90s. I built this truck to suit my tastes but I realize that my tastes may not be yours. If you are looking for a Defender 90 that is closer to the way they rolled off the showroom floor, I'm happy to work with you. With the exception of the front brush guard (bent by movers after I pulled it off), I have almost every original part that came on the truck, including the side steps, NAS-spec wheels, front bumper, and rear NAS step bumper. These original parts are included with this sale! There is also a custom cargo area storage box designed for carrying Pelican cases; this storage box can easily be removed in five minutes if desired. If you are not interested in the aftermarket items like the CT-style bumper, winch, brush guard, Dixon-Bate jaws, etc., let's talk. I'm open to removing these parts (to be used on my new truck) and working with you on the price.

Questions?

Feel free to call me at 210-859-3107, any time between 9AM and 10PM, Mountain Standard Time. My name is Chris and I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about the truck.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Chris, how long has the D90 been in the Springs area? I ask because I lived there for 7 years and it looks very familiar.

chris snell

Adventurer
I'm suspending the sale for a few days. I've decided to take the truck back to near-stock and keep most of my accessories for my next truck. I'll update the thread as soon as I get everything pulled and the original parts put back on and a new price posted.

chris snell

Adventurer
The truck has been brought back to near-stock and is now up for sale at a reduced price.

eBay Listing: http://r.ebay.com/nixiZP

$33,500

For more information, call Chris at 210-859-3107.

What's changed:

• Taken back to stock gearing and open diffs
  • Stock sills (no sliders)
  • Removed hitch and tow jaw
  • Reinstalled stock bumper; removed winch, HD bumper, tow jaws, and all wiring
  • Removed cargo box
  • Removed custom locking storage box in rear
  • Reinstalled stock jump seats and replaced rear carpeting
  • Removed Mantec raised air intake

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior