Propane tank conversion

tonkaman

Adventurer
My truck has a propane injection system that I no longer plan to use. I'd like to leave the propane tank hard mounted inside the frame rails and use it for camping trips if its possible. Has anyone ever tried using that kind of tank? If so is there any reason I wouldn't want to?

frgtwn

Adventurer
Likely the tank has much more capacity than you would need for camping. Heavy empty, heavier filled. Also, it is much more difficult to find a place to fill an onboard tank. Of course, you would not need it filled very often. And, if your local propane dealer can fill it, you may not need to fill it elsewhere.

How will you get the propane to the needed locations/appliances? Long lines on an off-road truck may not be your friend.

I do understand the desire to "run whatcha brung", however.

Dale

tonkaman

Adventurer
The tank is 8 or 9 gallon and it already has a fill hose ran to my back bumper. I was thinking I could use a female/female adaptor and hook up any accessories at the rear bumper

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I would totally do it.... if it is already there all you need is a outlet to plug your stove to and make sure the purge system (fill up) is up to code...

tonkaman

Adventurer
You will want to make sure that the output is vapor and not liquid because otherwise it will quickly freeze up your stove and lamp.

I know that my truck uses a vaporizer just before the propane is injected. Dies that mean its liquid to that point or is it just redundancy? How can I tell?

Roaming Gnome

I know old thread but yes that will be a liquid supply for that system. Your tank might still be usable tho. If you climb under your truck and check to see if the tank has multiple openings for different purposes. The one your using will usually have a " liquid" labels on it and you might be lucky enough to have a "vapor" opening aswell. If it exists then you can use that with a service valve put into it to run regular camping appliances. any questions feel free to msg me. I've done quite afew under mount lp tank installs various off road rigs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94