My extremely slow 2001 Tundra build thread

BrianTN

Adventurer
I'm ever so slowly working on my truck. The goal is somewhat of an expedition/overland build, but nothing too outrageous. It's a 2001 Toyota Tundra Ivan Stewart edition. I've actually owned the truck for about 6 years without doing anything except floor mats and upgrading the headlight bulbs, but recently the modding has begun.

First were Bilstein 5100 shocks on the highest setting up front and 5100s on the rear. In addition I added Wheeler's add a leaf rear springs and raised the brake proportion valve to match the new height (~2"). This gave me enough room for BFG MT 255/85r16, except for mild rubbing in the front when off road. I also raised the rear diff breather.
IMG_2372.JPG

To fix the rubbing issue, I went with a new bumper from Addicted Offroad. This has yet to arrive, but I plan on painting it flat black with a matte clear. I considered powder coating, but it sounded like a big pain to touch up, and I've heard Line-x can trap water inside, promoting rust. I'm considering welding on an antenna mount before painting as I haven't decided on the 2m/70cm and HF antenna locations yet.

For the radio, I have a Yaesu 897d waiting to be installed. I'm not sure of the exact location yet, but I'm thinking of removing the stock console and getting a Ram console. This will also let me use their swing arm to hold my iPad in the LifeProof case. I'm using this for GPS right now.

Other mods currently in the works are a gun rack for the ceiling and a net in between the front seats and rear cargo area (I removed the rear seat) to prevent anything from flying forward during a sudden stop.

Possible future mods include front and rear ARB locker, ExtremeAire compressor, dual battery, sliders, Softopper/Can-Back, and a toolbox in the bed. The more expedition type of equipment like a fridge or tent may end up in my CDN M101.

Pics to follow...

Last edited:

seanpistol

Explorer
Nice truck. I am a fan of the addicted offroad bumper, be sure to weld caps on the frame rails and not to hit a deer, ha!

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Welcome to the ExPo Tundrabird nation! Make sure you post up your travels here along with your mods as time passes along. We like to see where the Tundras have been roaming. :elkgrin:

Petrolburner

Explorer
Looks good sir, post a picture of the rear seat area when you can. Do you gain much by removing the seats and is it pretty quick to remove and reinstall?

BrianTN

Adventurer
Looks good sir, post a picture of the rear seat area when you can. Do you gain much by removing the seats and is it pretty quick to remove and reinstall?
It's pretty easy to remove the rear seat. If I remember correctly, it's four bolts along the bottom edge after you fold up the seat. Then simply lift the entire piece upwards as it kind of hangs on there. It would help with one other person, but I did it by myself.

IMG_2300.jpg

Derek24

Explorer
I've always loved those wheels! Nice Tundra, always good to see another build! You have a nice start so far and your future looks bright as well!

Falkon

Adventurer
Looking good Brian, I love my Tundra. I have the same set up - 5100's F&R with the Wheeler AAL. I never did the Brake Proportioning Valve, though I think I need to. What was involved in that install, if you dont mind me asking?

BrianTN

Adventurer
Moving the BPV was very easy. I ended up buying the kit from Wheelers with the other parts, but that's not needed. All you need to do is move the mechanism up the same amount you lifted the truck, so roughly two inches. Use a short piece of metal that you mount the BPV to, and then mount the metal to the original location of the BPV just right of the rear diff. I can get a pic later and show it.

Petrolburner

Explorer
I bought the relocation bracket from Toytec and it fatigued and broke. I bolted it back together back in the stock configuration and noticed no difference.

Falkon

Adventurer
It seemed that my braking was softer and the pedal required more force, though the overall braking time did not increase. I have adjusted my peddling and I don't really notice it anymore, but it does not feel proper.

Brian - pics are always good...

MobTuff

Observer
Great truck. Just bought an 05 AC TRD. Looking to do Bilsteins front and back with AAL. Are you seeing any issues having the Bilsteins at top notch with alignment or uneven tire wear? Did you drop your differential or modify the cv boots? Do you know the specs on those wheels? Backspacing and so on? Any more pictures would be great!

seanpistol

Explorer
Great truck. Just bought an 05 AC TRD. Looking to do Bilsteins front and back with AAL. Are you seeing any issues having the Bilsteins at top notch with alignment or uneven tire wear? Did you drop your differential or modify the cv boots? Do you know the specs on those wheels? Backspacing and so on? Any more pictures would be great!

I'll chime in. Search Tundrasolutions.com for DJs alignment specs. Take them in with you and get your truck aligned to those specs.

Drop the differential to keep your CV axles from wearing out. It's $30 for some spacers and larger bolts, easy to install. I am running Kartek Bates 930 CV boots after having shredded the small stock boots. The Karteks are about twice as big as stock. No issues, very happy. These are a PITA to put on, took me a few hours of my time.

I am running wheels with 4.5" backspacing. I never rub, anywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne