My extremely slow 2001 Tundra build thread

Derek24

Explorer
Great attention to detail on the wiring! Looks great! I like the idea for all the relays on that tray, I will be doing that for now on! Keep up the good work!

trailscape

Explorer
I like where you installed those relays and selenoid. I wanted to do that today, but was thinking that location might interfere with the hood.

BrianTN

Adventurer
I like where you installed those relays and selenoid. I wanted to do that today, but was thinking that location might interfere with the hood.

As I was installing these I setup a light and my phone in the engine bay to record a short clip of me closing the hood. Nothing fancy, just point the light and camera at the mount/relays then close and open the hood. On my video I did not see any movement of the relays so it should be good. I think just a little higher and the plugs that connect to the relays may touch.

BrianTN

Adventurer
I just about finished the compressor install. I'm just waiting on parts to connect the compressor to the tank. I didn't take any pictures except this, the hose going to the front bumper:
IMG_4264.JPG

I did make a 90* bend in some 1.75" 0.120 DOM tube though, just testing:
IMG_4262.jpg

IMG_4263.JPG

BrianTN

Adventurer
What grill do you have? and how did you install the ammo box?

The grill came with the truck, I think it's part of the Ivan Stewart package. As far as the ammo box, I drilled 4 holes through the ammo box and bed, then used 2 rectangular u bolts with the nuts ending inside of the ammo box. It worked well, but I ended up removing the ammo box and welding up the holes in the bed. Everything fits inside of the UWS.

I've done some small things here and there. Finished the air compressor install, but would like to fab up a water/mud shield. The digital gauge works well, but it doesn't dim so it's a little obnoxious when driving at night. I'm in the middle of using a scrap piece of 1.75" tube for a fire extinguisher mount. This will bolt to the console and securely hold a 5 lb extinguisher. Added the udnerhood LED lights also. Certainly not needed, but helps when the sun starts to set and I'm still doing something under the hood. I haven't been happy with the location of the fuse box, so I will be making a platform of sorts and mounting it horizontally. My girlfriend isn't a fan of the sliders, so I welded a piece of metal over one of the openings to step onto. I made the first bend for the bed rack, just a test bend. Lots to go, and unfortunately I'm stuck working in the ICU so I have very little free time.

IMG_4273.JPG

IMG_4451.JPG

IMG_4445.JPG

IMG_4448.JPG

775tundra

Explorer
The grill came with the truck, I think it's part of the Ivan Stewart package. As far as the ammo box, I drilled 4 holes through the ammo box and bed, then used 2 rectangular u bolts with the nuts ending inside of the ammo box. It worked well, but I ended up removing the ammo box and welding up the holes in the bed. Everything fits inside of the UWS.

I've done some small things here and there. Finished the air compressor install, but would like to fab up a water/mud shield. The digital gauge works well, but it doesn't dim so it's a little obnoxious when driving at night. I'm in the middle of using a scrap piece of 1.75" tube for a fire extinguisher mount. This will bolt to the console and securely hold a 5 lb extinguisher. Added the udnerhood LED lights also. Certainly not needed, but helps when the sun starts to set and I'm still doing something under the hood. I haven't been happy with the location of the fuse box, so I will be making a platform of sorts and mounting it horizontally. My girlfriend isn't a fan of the sliders, so I welded a piece of metal over one of the openings to step onto. I made the first bend for the bed rack, just a test bend. Lots to go, and unfortunately I'm stuck working in the ICU so I have very little free time.

IMG_4273.JPG

IMG_4451.JPG

IMG_4445.JPG

IMG_4448.JPG

Do you know if that grill will fit on a 2004 tundra?

Do you know if that grill will fit on a 2004 tundra?
The top portion of the grill would fit in your hood but then you would have to buy the lower filler piece just under the head lights and grill plus all the brackets to convert it to an early model setup. In 04 the grill goes right to the bumper with no filler under the grill.. I believe.

BrianTN

Adventurer
Finally had some time off from work. Managed to finish the slider mods:
IMG_4485.JPG

Changed around the relay mount a little:
IMG_4461.JPG

Changed the Blue Sea fuse box to make it easier to wire and change fuses:
IMG_4462.JPG

IMG_4463.JPG

Put on new shoes, wheel cylinders and adjusted the parking brake:
IMG_4481.JPG

Added a splash guard of sorts to the air compressor and tank:
IMG_4489.JPG

Welded on light tabs for Hella driving lights and fog lights:
IMG_4519.JPG

IMG_4503.jpg

Finished the frame to the "canback"/bed rack:
IMG_4507.JPG

IMG_4508.JPG

IMG_4524.JPG

Still need to make the brackets that will be bolted to the side of the rack, which will allow me to use Yakima raingutter towers and to sew a top. I have some LED light strips that I will 2x tape to the top also.

BrianTN

Adventurer
Came into a big issue. About three years ago the transmission went so I had it rebuilt. Kind of annoying at around 120k? miles, but that's life. The previous owner did tow a lot, including Bobcats. I figured my transmission problems would be absent for a pretty long time until about 3 weeks ago, maybe a month after changing the fluid. The CEL light came on, showing P0770 on my scan gauge for shift solenoid E. The truck drove fine except it wouldn't shift into OD. I double checked the fluid and it looked ok and was at the correct level. So I took the truck to a mechanic who changed the solenoid and changed the fluid. Once I picked it up everything seemed ok, but the CEL returned the same day with the same code. I then took it back to the same mechanic who says I need a new transmission at about $3000. What a bummer I just paid $300 for him to fix the CEL, which lasted all of a few hours.

So, do I have the 2nd transmission rebuilt? Get a second opinion? Sell the truck with the CEL on? I like the truck and it's solid other wise, but part of me wants an 80 or 100 series land cruiser.

CrewServed

"That" guy
Wow, that's a tough one. You've got so much work and TLC put into the truck that it'd be a shame to let it go and start over now. I've heard several times that the transmissions in our trucks are problematic and are the weak link an otherwise solid vehicle, and it sucks that you've got that problem twice in the same truck.

I don't think you'd be wrong to go either direction; that is, sell it and start over or fix it and keep going. That said, there's less wrenching to be done on the Tundra if you decide to have it repaired, so that counts for something.

TittySprinkles

Just find an 03-04 Tundra/Sequoia A340. They're more robust than earlier 2UZ A340s.

You can also use an A341 from a xUZ-equipped Lexus, with some slight modifications depending on year and whether you have 4WD or no. The gearing is slightly different, and the clutch pack count is identical to 2UZ A340s, compared to 5VZ A340s.

The Lexus transmissions are easier to find, usually cheaper, often were maintained better, can have lower mileage and likely never had significant load on them.

I used a '95 LS400 A341E in my 1997 4Runner V6 4WD. Worked perfect for me after I swapped some parts around (output shaft, valve body, kick down cable, etc.; everything bolts in because all the casings are identical no matter what engine they were paired with).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior