Land Rover Discovery - Purchasing Guide

Mack73

Adventurer
Doesn't this really depend on the year? I've heard of quite a few diff failures in earlier models. Also, the long term durability of these is still to be seen, since most of them are just hitting 100K which should be easy for any newer car. The Jag engines are a good design. The 4.0L AJ-V8 in my 2001 XJ8 has 170K on it and going strong. Parts are also a lot more expensive than the earlier Land Rovers.

Oh no, they have been proven. 'Character' over in the UK reported he passed 551,000 miles on his LR3 just this last weekend: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post1054291.html#1054291

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Oh no, they have been proven. 'Character' over in the UK reported he passed 551,000 miles on his LR3 just this last weekend: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post1054291.html#1054291

I checked that out. The guy has replaced nearly everything in the car, many things more than once and spent the cost of the vehicle over doing it. . . And it's a diesel. . . It is miles, not kilometers, and he's been towing cars 300 miles a day with it. Still reading through what he's done to it. See so far a new engine, transmission, all of the ancillaries on the engine. Suspension compressors, entire loom for the air suspension. All steering gear. Driveshafts. New steering wheel, seats. . . Still very impressive. It's also a commercial model. Don't know the difference there with the consumer ones.

Last edited:

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I checked that out. The guy has replaced nearly everything in the car, many things more than once and spent the cost of the vehicle over doing it. . . And it's a diesel. . . It is miles, not kilometers, and he's been towing cars 300 miles a day with it. Still reading through what he's done to it. See so far a new engine, transmission, all of the ancillaries on the engine. Suspension compressors, entire loom for the air suspension. All steering gear. Driveshafts. New steering wheel, seats. . . Still very impressive. It's also a commercial model. Don't know the difference there with the consumer ones.

I noticed that when the owner of this LR3 had the engine replaced they had to lift the entire body off the chassis to do it. It took 22 hours of labor at dealership rates to complete the job!!!!!

brushogger

Explorer
The short answer is that there are adapters for GM V6's/V8's available from Mark's adapters in Australia. As far as the electronics go, you just have to run two ecu's, the original one which is fed some inputs from the new engine to keep the BCU and security system happy, and the new one to run the engine. It has been done before and just requires some tinkering to get it to work. The same can be done with just about any diesel you want, depending on how much you are willing to swap transmissions. The original transmission can be used with the GM 6.2L or 6.5L diesel if you use a stand alone electronic controller for the transmission.

David

Does the OBD II port work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Harris

Expedition Leader
That could work, since the original ECU thinks the original engine is still there. It would take more work though. I believe Marks is developing a wiring harness that integrates a GM LS V8 into the existing systems on the D2. Plug n play. . .

Last edited:

Wideheavyload

FWIW, I have a 2004 DII with 120k miles on the clock. I have Luke at The Shop do my regular maintenance (it doesn't hurt that he's two blocks from my house) the ONLY problem I've had with the truck has been a cracked coolant reservoir which cost me 60 bucks to replace. Also, the coin tray is stuck shut.

It was my first LR purchase. I'm the second owner, but the previous owner bought it locally and dealer serviced it with just regular maintenance. Surely I'm not the only one out there with a good experience with their 04 DII?

I have two LRs in the garage. My Discovery and my wife's Range Rover. Her spot is covered in leaks. Coolant and oil spots. Mine is clean as a whistle. Nary a drop.

Maybe I'm jinxing myself? :)

BirchHill

goat farmer
I have also never had a major problem with mine, but I am proactive with maintenance. At 100k miles I went on and replaced headgaskets even though there was nothing wrong with them, that way I could do it on my terms and not the cars. At 110K I replaced the oil pump gears and water pump even though they worked fine. At 115k I rebuilt u-joints on both shafts with grease-able joints and replaced all coolant hoses and went to a 180 thermostat, I also replaced radiator as it had a slow seep. Everything else has just been usual wear items like brakes, tires, fluids and light bulbs. Its never left me stranded, yet my super reliable toyota truck has left me stranded 3 times. Im at 125k miles now I have several leaks that will need attention at some point, power steering pump and input seal on the TC, this aside I fully expect it to last to 200k but, if it doesnt its just a machine, Ill scrap it and start over.

bdp1978

Adventurer
Saturday I went to look at the 2 DII's I mentioned earlier on this thread. Got to the first one, a Zambezi Silver SE with only 71,200 miles on it. The exterior and interior were clean other than some flaking on the spare wheel. Then I climbed under it............leaking oil from above the pan.....leaking from the front diff seal....and thats just what I saw initially.

I didnt dig any deeper and decided that was enough. Didnt even bother to test drive or go look at the 2nd one, my Discovery interest is over with. I'll wait a couple years and then maybe revisit the LR3's or LR4's.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
bdp1978:
You most likely will not find a DI or DII that doesn't leak some type of fluid. That is a common joke in the Land Rover world ... "if it isn't leaking, it's out of oil!"

That trait was over when the LR3 was introduced.
I wouldn't have let a little oil leak be the determining factor in walking away. Head Gasket and slipped liners is what would make me think twice.

D

bdp1978

Adventurer
bdp1978:
You most likely will not find a DI or DII that doesn't leak some type of fluid. That is a common joke in the Land Rover world ... "if it isn't leaking, it's out of oil!"

That trait was over when the LR3 was introduced.
I wouldn't have let a little oil leak be the determining factor in walking away. Head Gasket and slipped liners is what would make me think twice.

D

In my world thats enough to walk away, especially at only 71k miles. People make fun of American cars, but Ive ran 2 GM's well over 200,000 miles and neither had a severe oil leak. Im not against replacing hubs, u joints etc.....rotational or 4 wheel drive wear items at 71k is fine. But profuse leaks below 100k -----not too quality in my opinion.

justfred

Adventurer
I have an 02. It's my second Discovery, and about my sixth Land Rover (the rest were old Series trucks).

I like driving it - the driving position, visibility, and "roadfeel" are great on- and off-road. The cabin is a little small, especially driver's legs, the driver's seat doesn't go back far enough. And the rear cargo area isn't quite long enough to sleep in.

It's louder than I'd like on the freeway, partly due to the roof rack, but it's got a lot less sway than the D1 did - not as afraid it's going to roll over in an avoidance. Offroad, no complaints at all, especially since getting the CDL. Sand and rocks - no problem. In the snow - perfect. Loaded with gear for Burning Man - great. Stack of plywood on the roof - no problem. Dirty dogs to and from the beach - no problem.

I average around 10mpg, which sucks, especially for using it for a daily driver. In 7 years, I've put on 90k miles, $4/gallon premium = $36,000 in gasoline.

Maintenance has been expensive. Aside from installing the CDL - which was voluntary - regular maintenance of brakes is expensive, and oil seal fixes. If you're at all surprised by oil leaks on a Rover, you should stay far away from them. Early on, I had the "3 amigos" but they seem to have sorted themselves out. But all in all it ends up being several thousand a year for maintenance, including tires.

It's tentatively for sale, in the less-than-$5000 range with a few cosmetic problems, and the CD changer is now dead, so even my mp3 jack hack doesn't work. I'm sure it's worth more in parts than it is as a whole, especially for the CDL. I'd consider turning it into a "sandrail" if I had a welder and a tube bender.

Not sure what to replace it with, yet, since I still need to tow a 3000lb trailer. Probably a daily driver plus a road-trip rig.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
In my world thats enough to walk away, especially at only 71k miles. People make fun of American cars, but Ive ran 2 GM's well over 200,000 miles and neither had a severe oil leak. Im not against replacing hubs, u joints etc.....rotational or 4 wheel drive wear items at 71k is fine. But profuse leaks below 100k -----not too quality in my opinion.

If the oil leaks scare you, then walk away. . . A lot of people just aren't the Rover sort. . .

michog

We have dealt a lot with Discovery II's and a little with Discovery I's. How about anything pre-2000. And by the way thanks to everyone so far!

Daryl

Adventurer
We have dealt a lot with Discovery II's and a little with Discovery I's. How about anything pre-2000. And by the way thanks to everyone so far!

D1's (last produced in the beginning of model year 1999) are by far electronically simpler. No trans computer, no becm controlling everything from the alarm system to the fog lights, etc. But they still have their electrical issues.

In my experience the motors tend to be more reliable. You also have a real radiator (it's got to be twice the size of a D2, but it also has the trans and oil coolers integrated) and no ridiculous external thermostat that operates partially on water pressure. All of them have CDL. The ABS is worse than useless.....it's actively hazardous but salvation is just a fuse away.

Given the choice of roughly equal condition trucks I'd take the D1 any day. I own one of both, but only because my wife won't give up the D2 (doesn't like the look of the LR3/4s and wants a 7 seater so the Range Rovers are out). It pains me to keep that thing running sometimes, especially at a level where it's wife-proof. And, yes....I do have a spare motor on a pallet sitting in my barn for the D2.

There is no doubt the D2s are nicer inside. They are quieter, and they are longer in the cargo area. They ride better on the road. The traction control (on a properly working system) is actually pretty impressive. And ACE is one of the most amazing (and reliable!) options you can get. But it all comes at a price.

bdp1978

Adventurer
If the oil leaks scare you, then walk away. . . A lot of people just aren't the Rover sort. . .

HA, thats exactly what I did - walked away. However I do, and have owned many Harley Davidsons over the years, so oil leaks only scare me to a point :bike_rider: but having 2 vehicles in my garage that live by "If its not leaking oil its probably empty" - may be too much for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz