Anyone ever crossed the border from Costa Rica to Panama by way of Rio Serrano?

Stuart Kent

Observer
I am living temporarily in Costa Rica, and preparing for my first border crossing into Panama. I shipped my truck down from the states, and would like to take the more scenic route through the mountains and cross the border at Rio Serrano. My concern is that the small border stations on both sides may not be equipped to deal with the tourist vehicle red tape. I know that people driving the Pan American Highway cross at Paso Canoas all the time, but I would prefer the mountain route if I can take it. I appreciate any insight here.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Yes it can be done but I believe you can't renew the car permit there, only the tourist visa. i need to check my notes - I remember there was a catch.

I drove there and it's very scenic indeed - and VERY foggy at night.

I was driving the 80 coming from Panama and it took me longer than expected, and the border was closed when I got there (it was after 6pm if i recall). I had to be in San Jose that night so I decided to turn around and drive down to Paso Canoas - one of the scariest drives of my live. You are pretty up high in the mountain, when the fogs close you can't even see the edge of the road.

But it's extremely scenic and I would go back if I had the opportunity.

Stuart Kent

Observer
I would sincerely appreciate it if you can consult your notes, as I will need to renew the tourist permit for the truck. If it cannot be renewed there, perhaps I can travel into Panama through that route and come back up through Canoas. I am working in the southern highlands of Costa Rica and would really prefer to skip Canoas altogether if possible. Thanks for the warning about the night driving conditions, I will make sure to plan everything to travel in the a.m.

Stuart Kent

Observer
for anyone interested in an easier Costa Rica/Panama border crossing, I have researched it and know a few people that have done it successfully. I am going to try it, will post the results on this thread and I will post more in depth information on my blog, http://stuartkent.com

bumper, lights, winch, suspension, tires and wheels.jpg

akmtgirl

We are trying to find information about temporary vehicle permits in Costa Rica as we are traveling south. Do you know if it is possible to exit Costa Rica with your vehicle , canceling the temporary vehicle import permit, and then return at any time period? I have found one source that stated once the vehicle is taken out of Costa Rica there is a 90 day required waiting period before being able to re-enter.

Stuart Kent

Observer
Sorry for the late reply, I am working in the rainforest and internet is not always reliable here. My advice to you is to contact a broker here in Costa Rica, inform them of your plans and pay the fee they ask. The red tape here is a nightmare and you cannot go on the word of people - only because the rules and laws change all the time. My truck is currently living in a bonded warehouse until I get some of these problems worked out. Good luck to you, have a safe trip.

P.S. you can cross out of Costa Rica into Panama through the border at Rio Serrano, but not back in. I recommend that route, it is much prettier, not as hot, and a much easier border crossing. Do it between the hours of 9:00 am and 3:00 pm to make sure there is somebody there (it is a really small easy border crossing). Locals told us it was open 7 days a week but I would do it M-F to be safe.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles