Surge hitch question

dumprat

Adventurer
I am starting another trailer. A small tent top with built in kitchen etc. I am looking for a small surge hitch that will work with disc brakes. I am pulling it with my jeep LJ and the brakes are not up to the task once everything is loaded to the gills with family and gear. All of the hitches I have found are for large car trailers and heavy stuff. Mine will be fairly light and I want it to work correctly not just lock up. Any suggestions?

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
Curious why you want surge brakes? On all the trailers I've had and others that I've towed, the surge brake trailers were the wonkiest.

Woods

Explorer
Are you saying that the LJ brakes are not up to the task, or the current trailer brakes?

I wouldn't consider a surge hitch. High cost and can be a serious hassle on the trail. I don't even know how well they would work with a light trailer.

dumprat

Adventurer
The Lj's brakes with a 35" tire a loaded trailer without brakes is not fun. There is not enough stopping power. I am not a fan of electric brakes, the trailer will be used a lot around beaches and salt water as well as off road.

And I already have the disc brake set up.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
The system on my boat trailer (4000lbs) isn't that bulky and works relatively well... They lare shown on the Etrailer link above. I do, however, still like my electric brakes on my other trailers better. Don't let the wiring thing be daunting if that's the reason. The hook-up is very straight forward and reliable. It's even pretty cheap to have an RV place do it for you.

Also, getting something that is rated for more than your trailer weight won't lock up the brakes. It only brakes as much as it needs to in order to reduce the "push" of the trailer. If the hydraulics are build for more braking, they just won't work as hard.

Don

-

dumprat

Adventurer
The wiring is easy. I have done it before. But I have a tendency to smash it and tear it off(I also rock crawl the jeep) Surge brakes are a great deal more fool proof in my opinion. Salt water,sand, dirt, and abuse don't do good things to electric components.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior