Quicksilver expedition trailer.

hesterj

Adventurer
I am wondering what the trailers center of gravity will be when the tent is opened up? Could it be possible that the trailer will flip on its side with all that weight off center? Or, will the added tire width help offset the people crawling in to sleep?

Vantage

Adventurer
The trailer uses a drop down bar under the bed to offset any extra weight hanging over the side.

The OP's trailer is known as a 5.0, an earlier design by Livin Lite, which has the bed over the tongue. They changed the design to the 6.0 (seen below) which opens over the side so people could put items on the tongue and still have access to them when the bedroom is open.

Notice the support under the head of the bed.

quicksilver-6.0-tent-camper-exterior-open.jpg

FJWillis

Observer
It will be on the passenger side. I have to be careful where I place the tires. I can't be to far forward or I will be in the way of the door, and I can't be to far back or the tires will be in the way of the support on the other side. If I measured right then there should just fit at the correct distance for safe traveling. Thanks

FJWillis

Observer
Good point. Right now there are stabilizer jacks on that side. I was planing on still using the jacks with extensions. I'm hoping this will help with the stabilization.

FJWillis

Observer
Good point. I always wondered why they switched the support system. I'm hoping the larger frame and tires might help? I'll have to do some testing and let you know. Worse case I switch my trailer to the new support. I bet my frame fabricator can make something quick for me.

daveh

Adventurer
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. This is my jeep version when we first purchased it last spring. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361201203.800615.jpg

STREGA

Explorer
Way cool that you are doing this to keep your dad comfortable when you are out camping. We did the same kind of things to keep my mom camping into here early 80's, keeping them comfortable is important.

In your opening post you ask why they put the axle so far back on the trailer. The reason why is to make the trailer more stable at higher speeds, short trailers tend to sway when the axle are closer to the middle of the trailer.

FJWillis

Observer
So cool! I love how your tires match. Do you carry a spare for the trailer or rely on one spare for all? I'm after looking at some trucks try an offroad with the heavier trailers the light weight aluminum is the way to go.

FJWillis

Observer
Anything we can do to keep the older generation outdoors helps them hang around longer. The day my grandpa decided to stop camping he passed away.

daveh

Adventurer
The idea when jeep sold them was to use the jeep spare if needed. I like to keep a spare just for the jeep so I carry an ARB tire repair kit and air compressor as my first option for the trailer tires if the need ever arises.

FJWillis

Observer
I finally received the Timbren suspension in the mail. I ordered it from etrailer.com and they made a mistake and sent the wrong hubs. They sent 3500 lbs hubs and I needed the 2000 lbs hubs. Etrailer contacted Timbren and they shipped out the correct hubs right away. Timbren makes a great product. All the parts are powder coated and very precise. Here are some pics of one of the springs, 2000 lbs hub and spindle. I'm going to spend the rest of the day putting together the spindles and hubs. Look for pics to come. Timbren Spring.jpgTimbren Spindle.jpgTimbren Hub.jpg

Last edited:

FJWillis

Observer
I spent the day putting together the hubs and spindles. I cleaned up the spindles and then ran some grease into the spindle to clean out any debri that may have lodged into the grease hole. I used a bearing packer I found at a local auto parts store. It is very slick and packed the bearings in nothing flat. I've done this by hand but always wonder if I got grease into all the nooks and crannies but with the packer it is very clear the bearing is fully packed.

Spindle Greese.jpgBearing Greese.jpgGreese Gun.jpg

FJWillis

Observer
Here are some more pics of the finished job. I love how the nut has a locking tab behind the nut that is not a cotter pin. This is way easier to install. I don't know if you can see the bend over tab behind the nut but I tried to take a picture. The other pics are of the completed hub spindle assembly and finally the adapter installed so I can use stock toyota wheels on the trailer to match my FJ. I'm just waiting on the trailer frame to be completed so I can merge the camper to the frame. I've been playing around with different ideas for a cooking box to install in front of the trailer. Stay tuned, I will take some pictures when I finally get the frame back.

Spindle and Hub.jpgHub Nut.jpgSpindle Hub Adapter.jpg

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Are the hubs/spindle/axle 2000 pounds or both total 2000 pounds.

These were not designed to have wheel spacers, so be sure you put a cross member between them is my recomendation. The wheels will develop a lot of torque on the placement spot. Have your fab guy look at bracket and see what he thinks. Be sure you are not setting up for 4000 pounds, 2000 thousand looks to be a lot for that size trailer. If you get it together and it is bouncy let air out of the tires. You should be able to run very low air preasure with the weight of the trailer.

Some great ideas!!!!

FJWillis

Observer
Good point about the air in tires. I can play with the pressure to keep the trailer from bouncing around. I went with the 2000 lbs system as a little over kill. I think each side is rated at 1000 lbs. This is why I feel ok about the adapters. My first trip will be about 520 miles and I was planning on taking the hubs off to see if there is any excessive bearing wear. The camper is 520 lbs and the box, water, and other essentials I'm thinking will add another 300 lbs. I had the guy building my trailer put a cross piece right where the suspension will line up. I will be able to bolt the springs to this cross frame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior