lockers front and rear needed?

r3run33

Adventurer
hello I have a 2006 LX470; going to have a front ARB locker installed but a question came up do I need to spend the money on a rear locker?? Does this just create a stronger product?? I do understand re gearing and all but I am not really going to real large tires. The vehicle will be pretty loaded up with gear fuel etc. Has anyone done both front and rear or have not and have opinions? thanks

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I got a rear ARB locker on mine... really haven't had the need for a front locker..given that my rig is mainly for overland travels....
I have only used the rear locker a couple of times and it was great having it there...
I would imagine given the right situation/conditions having front and rear lockers would be great...but you have to ask what will you be using your rig for........

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
Both have there key areas.. If your climbing rock.. I would want both..
If its a money issue I would go rear first.. And then if your still in need move up front.

Grip is king on the trails

temple

Adventurer
Whs. I never needed it till I had them. I drive on trails that I did not use to also. They are really incredible what they can do.

KC Cruiser

Adventurer
Unless you are hard core crawling, I would go just rear. I have had 2 rigs with both front & rear lockers and wheeled with people with just rear and they did everything I did. Front helps on certain obstacles.

CAP650

Observer
What type of wheeling do you do? Rear lockers seem to be used most often. For general offroading and added traction, I'd start w/ a rear. A rear locker alone will get you out of trouble most the time. Plus, lockers are hard on diffs. The rear diff is generally stronger then the front diff and can take more abuse (locked).

Klierslc

Explorer
Also curious on what you plan on doing. The A-TRAC on the LX should get you almost anywhere you need/want to go.

Expedition Leader
You will use a rear locker a lot more often than a front, but for those times that you need a front locker it is really nice to have! Climbing steep rock ledges is one example. If you only had the money for one, the rear will be more practical and generally useful.

r3run33

Adventurer
sorry I should have explained a little bit more for the question; currently its a 2006 LX470 with a locking differential. A-Trac and all. For my current stuff it works great. I work in the healthcare industry so I have to go out in all sorts of weather because I live in the northeast part of the country. I currently do some beach stuff which the vehicle has never let me down but that I think was me being conservative on where I go. Planing a trip this summer which will include Utah, death valley, and some other nation parks where I will HAVE to take a certain route. So the vehicle has to get thru. I know many other have broken the front diff when hard use; so going with an ARB front locker is a preventive prep for the trip.
Now with regard to the vehicle locking the diff now gives me a one wheel drive system ( meaning all four wheels are moving); going with the front locker I will get a 2 wheel system now. Front and rear correct?? My question to all is; the factory rear locker is ok and does not need upgrading??? Or am I all messed up which this idea and don't need to touch anything?

r3run33

Adventurer
Now I am working real hard to get a friend of mine to go on the trip also but he can not swing a whole summer trip away from work. so I may be a lone vehicle at times so self recovery and not getting stuck in the first place will be important.

CAP650

Observer
sorry I should have explained a little bit more for the question; currently its a 2006 LX470 with a locking differential. A-Trac and all. For my current stuff it works great. I work in the healthcare industry so I have to go out in all sorts of weather because I live in the northeast part of the country. I currently do some beach stuff which the vehicle has never let me down but that I think was me being conservative on where I go. Planing a trip this summer which will include Utah, death valley, and some other nation parks where I will HAVE to take a certain route. So the vehicle has to get thru. I know many other have broken the front diff when hard use; so going with an ARB front locker is a preventive prep for the trip.
Now with regard to the vehicle locking the diff now gives me a one wheel drive system ( meaning all four wheels are moving); going with the front locker I will get a 2 wheel system now. Front and rear correct?? My question to all is; the factory rear locker is ok and does not need upgrading??? Or am I all messed up which this idea and don't need to touch anything?

I'm not sure you fully understand the mechanics of the 4wd system. Let's clear a few basic things up:

I believe when you are referring to the factory locking differential, you are referring to the CENTER diff lock (4x4) button. This puts the vehicle in true 4wd. Locking the CENTER diff does not affect the rear or front diffs, they are still open / open. Locking the center diff equally splits the power to the front and rear drive shafts. Power will be transferred to the all 4 wheels, with a strong preference to the wheel with less traction on each axle. This is why you see one wheel spinning in low / loose traction situations, or the wheel that is in the air spinning in crossed up positions. Power is being directed through the diff (front or rear) to the wheel with the least resistance. Obviously this is not what we want when off road. (Side Note: A-trac mimics a Limited Slip Diff or locker by sensing wheel spin. By applying break pressure to the spinning wheel, it will push power to the wheel on the axle with weight = traction. Because of the way it works, it takes some time and wheel spin for the system to kick in. ) A FRONT or REAR locker, when engaged, will always put equal power to both wheels on the axle, regardless of weight distribution or traction. This is a huge help when one wheel is in the hanging in the air or on loose surfaces.

A front locker will not prevent damage to the front diff. It is more likely to cause damage, especially if you are not sure when and how to use it correctly.

If you actually have a factory rear locker, you will be fine. I've done quite a few trips to Death Valley and driven many of the trails there. I only used my rear locker a handful of times. Many times I could have done it without the locker, but with a little more work, but the locker is like an Easy Button. You will most likely be able to pass most trails in DV with 4lo and A-Trac.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

trump

Adventurist
A front locker will not prevent damage to the front diff. It is more likely to cause damage, especially if you are not sure when and how to use it correctly.

I think your assessment is right on, but I believe he was installing the ARB as a preventative in the front to eliminate the troublesome spider gears.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I'm still a fan of the answers you got the last time you asked:

Depends entirely on if and how you wheel your truck.

My experience has been that when the time comes for lockers you'll know it. Basically if you need to ask, you probably don't need them.

x2 on both accounts :D

It is all relative and it is impossible to say you "need" lockers without first knowing what you plan to do with your Cruiser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online