Explorer tire choices.

KLAKEBRONCO

Adventurer
I'm kind of looking at tires right now, and would appreciate any feedback or suggestions.
The stock size on our 2001 Explorer is 235/75/15, but am looking at my options.

My priorities include
  1. Price
  2. Longevity (highway mileage treadwear)
  3. Effects on MPG
  4. Traction (especially wet rock/cement)
  5. Smoothness on road (Note not noise as I can tolerate some noise)
  6. Winter traction on snow/ice
  7. And to top it all off mud traction since any offroading will be muddy most likely

I would like to look at a very moderate height increase. At 70-75mph on the highway I'm at 2500RPM, and I really think the power to weight ratio of this truck would allow me to run at 2000rpm at that speed easily.

So far as I can tell I'm looking at stock replacements of the 235's with a more aggressive A/T tread pattern
A 30x9.5x15 or 31x10.5x15
And if I make a wheel swap (which I would rather not do simply because of cost-I want to stick with aluminum for weight savings) a 245/75/16 or a 235/85/16.

I would think that I would get great tire wear out of the 235/85/16's simply because they are a higher load range tire which I've always equated to longer wearing when used on a lighter truck. (I don't like the idea of increasing harshness though)

245/75/16's seem to be really common, and this might be the best size but I would need new wheels. Maybe some factory 16" wheels can be sourced for a good price.

31x10.5's seem to be the most common, but I'm concerned about the extra width hurting MPG more than my other options. These seem to run a little cheaper than others.

duckhunter71

Adventurer
I'm about to put a set of Cooper Discoverer A/T3s on my Frontier. I had a set on my 99 4Runner before I sold it and absolutely loved them. They rode good, looked good, and had good traction. I believe mine had 10-12k on them when I sold the 4Runner and they still looked absolutely brand new. They've got a 55k mile warranty one them, so I expect to get quite a few miles out of them, as well.

71f82ac2.jpg

5b824db1.jpg

Those were 265/75-16s.

dddonkey

Adventurer
I would look at the Goodyear Duratracs, I had them on my wife's Jeep Commander and that thing went everywhere I wanted it to. I am looking to put them on my truck when the current tires are worn out.

4x4junkie

Explorer
I would think that I would get great tire wear out of the 235/85/16's simply because they are a higher load range tire which I've always equated to longer wearing when used on a lighter truck. (I don't like the idea of increasing harshness though)

I would also be afraid of the tire not gripping as well, especially on wet rocks (stiffer carcass not conforming to the terrain as well, and probably a harder rubber compound to help support it's higher load rating).

I also have heard a lot of good word on the Duratracs, I'd 2nd those maybe in a 30x9.50 for a slight height increase, or the 31x10.50s for something a little more substantial. Running about 30-35 PSI, your MPG (and treadwear) should be pretty decent.

Revco

Adventurer
I had 70k on a set of 235/85/16 Cooper Discoverer ATR's and they still passed state inspection. I loved those tires.

Last edited:

legendaryandrew

Adventurer
I'm partial to Toyo M/T's. They're a bit heavy, but they wear slow, and they're great in mud. Plus they seem to grip pretty damn good in snow/ice if you have them siped. I did on my '97 FZJ, and the thing was amazing in the winter. Maybe even better than my Evo's Blizzaks.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I ran 31x10.50s on my stock 97 Explorer 4x4. That particular truck had 3.73 gears, the OHV made decent low end power. If you have taller gearing (3.55) I'd think about a smaller size. The 31s weren't much worse than stock (generally terrible) for mileage.
15" tires are generally cheaper and the proper load range (C).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne