Plywood for roof rack flooring?

stewwalker

Observer
I am going to put a floor on my Surco Safari Roofrack. I know most overland guys prefer perforated plastic (chicken coop or dog kennel flooring) but I'm leaning more towards plywood. It's way easier for me to get. I have not seen many like this, so I'm wondering if there is a reason no one uses plywood. Yes it will be heavier than plastic, but is there any other reason no one does it?

I'll probably use a hole saw to lighten it up a bit and paint it with marine topside deck coating. Hopefully this will help protect it from the elements better than regular paint.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Ever driven with a sail on top? It feels a tiny bit like that, the sheet of plywood "floats" with wind current and will make a lot of noise when empty, been there and done that.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I say try it out. If you put some holes in it to allow air to move around/through it, it may not be noisy. Otherwise, no reason not to do it in your climate. I would try it before painting. That way if it does make a bunch of noise, you are only out a few bucks, and not the time and money for paint too.

Smksignals

Explorer
I had a plywood floor in my Conn Ferr rack. Size was 5x4 '. I covered it with roll on bed liner. Never had a problem with it.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I vote varnished vintage Oak strips.
Lets the air flow but is stable to walk on.

Attachments

• imagesCA2D280K.jpg
    imagesCA2D280K.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 344
  • imagesCAT12KW1.jpg
    imagesCAT12KW1.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 339
  • imagesCAS09E9O.jpg
    imagesCAS09E9O.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 339
  • imagesCAEN6XRM.jpg
    imagesCAEN6XRM.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 340

xjaugie

Adventurer
I had a plywood floor in my Conn Ferr rack on XJ for several years. I had it sprayed with Rino Liner and never had a problem, wish I had thought of cutting a few holes in it, I like that idea.

gun45boat

Adventurer
I did the 4 x 8 sheet of plywood thing. I got the Marine plywood and painted it with Black rustoleum. I beeat the sh&t out of it for years!!!! I lasted about 5 years in the weather before it started to deteriorate. I say go for it.

GREENI

Adventurer
I use something in the uk called Wisa board, it's plywood with a grippy surface, they use it on truck decks and trailer flooring.
To stop rattle.. Which it did, I use steel conduit saddles, screwed from underneath...
fgs27000_stainless_steel_full_saddle_copy13389610454fceec951fbcb.jpg

eggman918

Adventurer
Marine plywood coated with polyester resin thinned with 1 part acetone to 2 parts resin will last forever coat it after you have cut it to fit and put the holes it it then paint,I have used that system
in boat repair with very good results.

Montereyman

My first choice would be what is called extruded metal sheeting with metal braces. For something that you buy at a local building supply store any oriented strand board like Advantec is going to do a much better job of not absorbing water and warping than even marine grade plywood. For smaller projects I love HDPE which is easy to cut and drill and very strong and stiff and never rots.

Erik N

Adventurer
Marine plywood coated with polyester resin thinned with 1 part acetone to 2 parts resin will last forever coat it after you have cut it to fit and put the holes it it then paint,I have used that system
in boat repair with very good results.

+1

Also, you can add concentrated paint pigment to the batch to tint it, if you want.

Use 2 coats, let the first cure for a day to seal it, use the second to coat it.

And for god sakes do it outside, in the shade to avoid the fumes.

stewwalker

Observer
Finally finished my spring break project.
IMG_0901.jpg

If I had to do it over again I would NOT put the holes in the top. Yes they are easy tie down points but it makes a humming noise around 65 MPH...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online