My Dormobile

seriessearcher

Adventurer
Well my Land Rover addiction has reached a new height, or is it a low :oops:

1967 Left hand drive Dormobile out of NJ shipped to Denver CO for a new lease on life.

I have been visiting the forum for a little while and am going to attempt to build something similar to Mercedes Jim's 109 rig. That is I am going to learn a lot and try to mimic his work :)

I will post more details as I am able to tear into the truck, but my Dormobile arrived yesterday. A local friend was a God send in getting her unloaded as we were in a bind to get to both of our families thanksgiving dinners. We only had maybe 30 minutes to look at her as we were moving her around.

So far what I know is the following:
Bulkhead would need some serious work as it has the "Cancer."
The frame has sections which resemble swiss cheese. See above :(
The T Pieces have rotted away for the most part, or flew off at 70 miles an hour in transport. See above:(
The roof vent cover in off the top and in very bad shape. If can not be repaired, will be replaced.
The 6 cylinder has not run for a while but seems very complete.
It does not have the salibury rear end.

The seats seem to be in decent shape.
The roof seems to be in decent shape, canpoy has some small tears, nothing major.
The bunks are present, material needs to be replaced.
The stove is there and in pretty good shape.
The over kitchen unit is present.
There seems to be an empty spot on the passenger side opposite the stove where something went.

More updates as well as pictures to follow. I started a new page on my website to save everyone from needing to download tons of rusted bulkhead and frame pictures

milehighrovers.com/47260.html

I tore into her more today and I am currently debating looking at buying a donor 109 SW and swap over the dormobile parts, or do I do the ground up as I have a line on some really cheap 109 frames?

The ultimate goal is a vehicle I can run around the Mts of Colorado with my wife, two girls and gear without needing to worry about camp set up. A self contained unit that when the girls are older I can maybe drive to baja for a surf week or two. Diesel conversion more than likely due to the altitude and the very very off chance I get a wild hair and go somewhere out of the US. It will mainly be an overland vehicle for the states.

revor

Explorer
Hey Sean!

If you need anything give me a call! Us "nuts" should hang together and I have a little knowledge about how to spend all your resources on such vehicles!:arabia:

We thought about picking up a 109 Dormi but got a 110 that we are going to convert. Consider a coil replacement chassis. They can be built for any motor and will make the backside happy..

KingSlug

Observer
Sean,

I dont know if it helps but I have a line on a 6 cyl frame, bulhead and T pieces that were sand blasted and powder coated, but its in California. I think the price was 1.5K but you could probably get it for 1k.

Jared

KingSlug

Observer
Sean...

Sean,

The guys name is Nathan. He held a Sals axle for about 2 months, I got it last weekend. Here is his ad. Good luck. I asked him and he said offer 1.5k, which is a deal, but if you get the frame, bulkhead, fuel tank, t pieces, and engine its worth it. Might solve your engine issue.

http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread.php?t=4540

Jared

seriessearcher

Adventurer
Thanks Jared

I just posted a reply trying to make email or phone contact. That would be worth a drive to CA with a trailer for the lot.

I'll buy you dinner and a beer if it all works out. Many thanks for the heads up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles