Quadcopter + Go Pro anybody using one?

Airmonger

Adventurer
I've recently been trying to find a rugged, yet affordable, quadcopter to use while in the backcountry. Has anybody built or bought one? Some of the images I've been seeing are very stunning and I would love to be able to hike to the top of a ridge and get some images if my friends snowboarding or get Images of camps and trails.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Anything capable of lifting a GoPro and able to maintain control in even mild winds will be anything but affordable. Unless by affordable you mean in the thousand dollar+ range. A $500 coaxial helicopter would even be a handful in even the slightest breeze, plus the video would look shakey at best.

This would probably be the minimum: http://www.rctoys.com/rc-toys-and-parts/DF-VTI/RC-HELICOPTERS.html I guarantee you, I'd turn that thing into a $900 pile of rubble within the first week.

Last edited:

dblosch

Adventurer
Those XPro Heli's are so sweet! That opens up so many options for the video enthusiast. The only problem with them is that they take a GoPro, which are great for passive footage capture, and now someone has to man it. Like being the dedicated photog on a trip... you can't fly it and drive at the same time.

1SAR39

I'm flying a quadcopter using the DJI NAZA flight controller with gps. It's been a great setup. I recently built up this custom folding quad to test and review. Everything you need to take into the backcountry and it fits in a pelican 1500 case. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361861463.200006.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1361861480.116515.jpg

Bullsnake

Adventurer
Currently flying an AD-8 HL and a Cinestar 8 from Quadrocopter - way fun but a little over the top for a hobby grade multirotor. I did just pick up a couple of DJ Phantom quads that are awesome for just buzzing around with a Go Pro! Great results and can be had RTF right out of the box for ~$650.00...

Holger

Observer
I have build several.
Have a look at RCforums/ mutirotors and you will find heaps of information.
MK is fantastic and our choice for professional machines at work, but not exactly easy for a newby.
PM me of you have special questions.

1SAR39

Yudda

I've heard of microkopter, and they have top notch stuff. It was way out of my budget too.
I started with the dji f450 flame wheel to get a feel for the multi rotor thing. The arf kit came with the frame, naza flight controller, motors, propellers, and esc's. I've changed frames but still running all the electronics that came with the original kit. It's really a great system for new guys, and guys that've been flying for a while. Affordable too. You can put one together, ready to fly for about $1k with the gps/ compass. The Naza with gps has a some nice features. Here's a link to their site http://www.dji-innovations.com/products/naza-multi-rotor/overview/
As far as the folding frame and case. The frame was sent to me by a member in multirotorforums.com (great site btw!), and I already had the case. He will be selling the frame and a slightly larger protective case (one that has enough room to keep the props on) real soon. The folding frame is great. It all packs up real small, is perfectly balanced with the gopro and flight battery, and can take a hit. I crashed it the first time it went up because I had wires crossed. Came down from about 20' and busted a couple props. The frame came out undamaged.
Anyway, I'll try to answer whatever ?'s you have. Right now I'm very happy with the dji electronics with the folding frame, and gopro2.

1SAR39

I get around 12min using a 3s 4400mah pack just hovering. 8-10min if flying around.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke