Sleeping pads?

Honu

lost on the mainland
Exped Megamat 10 or whatever its called most comfy pad but kinda big ?
Nemo cosmo pillowtop next most comfy and packs down nicely :)

I think after trying out almost everymat its a bit of a personal choice and trying a fewout is the best way to decide then balance pack size of them :)

will

Adventurer
I have my sights set on the new Thermarest Neo Air Dream. I hope it gets reviewed as part if the lineup.

BillTex

Adventurer
Just got my new q-core sl yesterday.
Put it on the den floor, feels pretty comfy.
Took < 2 minutes to inflate using a 2lung pump...and it's got synthetic insulation which means no extra pump to carry.
I'll be bike packing soon and will report back after first real use...first impression is it's the real deal for an ultra light inflatable.
B

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I have a Nemo Astro, Thermarest Basecamp XL, and a bunch of others depending on use...

The Nemo is a great ultra light and small pad and I find I use the small ones most often. It doesn't need to have foam in it. I'm also big 6'5 / 240 and with 3" of air it's great. Only complaint is the horizonal air passages. My previous ultralight pad had vertical air chambers and this is the way to go. This is where the big agnes has the nemo beat. These all compact to less than the size of a football, why carry the extra crap if needed.

The thermarest Basecamp is good but in a year I had a hole. Thermarests seem to pop a lot in my opinion. It's only 1.5"

The best best "car camping" sleeping pad I have is a Wilderness Technologies pad that is 3" and super cheap. One has a hole and its so thick you don't notice it. Hard part is finding the 3". These are massive though, pretty much unneeded and very seldom used.

Only advantage to lots of foam is easy / very quite teardown times, and generally self inflating if you have poor lungs.

You do not want to breathe into a sleeping pad it you intend to use it over winter. The moisture freezes in the pad and gets really cold. Just FYI...

hoser

Explorer
I've been using Exped Megamat 10 for about a year now. I liked it so much I bought 3 of them for the family. Overall, I'm very happy with them. My initial gripe was the deflation time but after mhiscox suggested removing the little one-way flap on the deflation valve, deflation time is much faster. Thanks Mike!

The only problem I've had is one of the "coupler" tabs on the corner came off. It didn't cause any other problems though. I have two toddlers that like to jump on these things. The supplied air pump is not so great but works.

This is the most comfortable self-inflatable mattress I've used. I prefer the comfort of a memory foam mattress over the Megamat but there is a storage issue and sometimes temperature issue with those.

Quite noticeable with the Megamat is it's high R-value. The pad insulates well from a cold ground. I have not had any leaks or punctures but this pad but it's probably not the most rugged pad around. The material is supple and that seems raise the comfort level. I think it is best used in vehicles and in tents... not just on a tarp exposed to twigs, pebbles and flying embers.

Honu

lost on the mainland
not saying you dont find it nicer with the tube design :) but whats funny is I like the shorter side to side pad design way better than the long type pad designs
you dont feel them as much :) just shows pads are so personal :)

the one pad that seems cool is the big agnes quilted looking one !

I found I just had to try out a ton to find what I like :)

I have a Nemo Astro, Thermarest Basecamp XL, and a bunch of others depending on use...

The Nemo is a great ultra light and small pad and I find I use the small ones most often. It doesn't need to have foam in it. I'm also big 6'5 / 240 and with 3" of air it's great. Only complaint is the horizonal air passages. My previous ultralight pad had vertical air chambers and this is the way to go. This is where the big agnes has the nemo beat. These all compact to less than the size of a football, why carry the extra crap if needed.

The thermarest Basecamp is good but in a year I had a hole. Thermarests seem to pop a lot in my opinion. It's only 1.5"

The best best "car camping" sleeping pad I have is a Wilderness Technologies pad that is 3" and super cheap. One has a hole and its so thick you don't notice it. Hard part is finding the 3". These are massive though, pretty much unneeded and very seldom used.

Only advantage to lots of foam is easy / very quite teardown times, and generally self inflating if you have poor lungs.

You do not want to breathe into a sleeping pad it you intend to use it over winter. The moisture freezes in the pad and gets really cold. Just FYI...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94