Sleeping pads?

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I spent several weeks compiling the data and test feedback for the pad review in this month's Overland Journal. I found one of the best ways to get accurate feedback from testers was to get their very first impressions of a pad the minute they sprawled out on it. It was pretty telling. Some testers would get on a particular pad and wiggle and fuss until they settled in. On pads like the Mega Mat, almost every single tester got on it and with seconds melted into a blissful pile of relaxed goo.

The new Thermarest MondoKing XXL came pretty close to the Mega Mat 10, but not close enough to win the Editor's Choice award.

BillTex

Adventurer
I tried out my new set-up a couple of weeks ago (qcore sl and the camp-tek/T-A-R pump) and am very pleased. Super simple, fairly light, very comfy...more comfy than I EVER remember being in a tent...
Heading out again this weekend with the Scouts so I'll be using this setup again.
Probably will be getting another qcore for our Son...

B

Ramjet

Explorer
I just picked up the Nemo Cosmo Air Insulated and Pillowtop Cover and I added the Nemo Pillow as well. Will post full review soon.

THATSALEXUS?

Adventurer
One more vote for the REI 3.5. In my opinion, it's probably one of the best pads for the money, especially when you find them on the REI outlet (my last one was only $52). I also have a Thermarest Trail Pro, an Exped UL7 and a couple of Coleman air mattresses for comparison...

will

Adventurer
I changed direction and went for the Nemo Cosmo Air with Pillowtop. Super happy with the choice.

KellyM

Adventurer
My wife and I have been using Megamats for two plus years (since they were released) and love them. Just the other day we were discussing how we each might prefer the pads to our Tempurpedic mattress at home. By far the most comfortable pad either of us have ever used, and we've been camping for more than 40 years.

VATACO

Adventurer
Smashed my Thermarest Basecamp fill valve in the tail gate yesterday. Good thing they are replaceable.

Basecamp is by far my favorite pad I've tried so far.

matt s

Explorer
If you are in a cold climate avoid the air mattress. Not talking about a thermarest but the regular kind. It's like a heat pump the wrong way transferring heat to the ground or the truck bed in my case. Been there done that. -15f bag on a 30degree night and cold as heck. I though I was so cool bringing the single bed sized inflatable that fit between the wheel wells. Couldn't understand why i froze until the next night I swapped to a foam pad. Nice and warm like normal.

So bottom line for me is warmth over comfort. What pad provides the best insulation? That's the test I want to see. Then again I live in alaska, that reverse heat pump thing might be just the ticket in Arizona

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
My wife and I have been using Megamats for two plus years (since they were released) and love them. Just the other day we were discussing how we each might prefer the pads to our Tempurpedic mattress at home. By far the most comfortable pad either of us have ever used, and we've been camping for more than 40 years.
Truly a fantastic pad. The vertical side walls are in my opinion the prime differentiator and make it feel like a mattress not a pad. The lateral coring of the foam also gives it a unique mattress feel. Simply brilliant. I wish they were a tad smaller when packed, but you can't have everything.

I just spent last weekend on the MondoKing XL and while nothing can compare to the Megamat, it's darn close. I'm so amazed with the pads available today.

VATACO

Adventurer
If you are in a cold climate avoid the air mattress. Not talking about a thermarest but the regular kind. It's like a heat pump the wrong way transferring heat to the ground or the truck bed in my case. Been there done that. -15f bag on a 30degree night and cold as heck. I though I was so cool bringing the single bed sized inflatable that fit between the wheel wells. Couldn't understand why i froze until the next night I swapped to a foam pad. Nice and warm like normal.

So bottom line for me is warmth over comfort. What pad provides the best insulation? That's the test I want to see. Then again I live in alaska, that reverse heat pump thing might be just the ticket in Arizona

For me the deciding factor has always been dust. Sleeping on a bed platform under a softopper, the idea of all the dust I'd collect in a foam pad just was not appealing.

matt s

Explorer
For me the deciding factor has always been dust. Sleeping on a bed platform under a softopper, the idea of all the dust I'd collect in a foam pad just was not appealing.

Yeah it's gotta be closed cell foam or covered like some of the ones above. otherwise its a sponge like you said.

RangeBrover

Explorer

You can mitigate this by putting a wool blanket or pad of some under the air mattress, it's what I used to do when I had a truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier