GPS Tablet Mount

98OzarksRunner

Adventurer
I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 a while back and downloaded Back Country Navigator ($10). It caches the maps so you don't need internet in the field, just the tablet's GPS (if you want to know where you are).

I bought the RAM mounting hardware and installed it. It goes in when I need it and the only permanent piece is the floor mount for the pipe. I bought the 1.5" ball components, which is probably overkill but I wanted it solid.

It would be a little less crowded with a 7" tablet, but old guys need big screens to see the details .

Components:
RAM-232-45U 45 deg pipe mount
RAM-201U-D 7.88" dual socket arm
RAM-218-1U 1.5" ball with 1/2" NPT threads
RAM-238U Diamond plate mount with 1.5" ball
RAM-HOL-TAB-LGU Tablet Cradle
8" piece of 1/2" NPT pipe from Lowes

DSC_7720.jpg

DSC_7712.jpg

DSC_7715.jpg

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
At least your tablet will be nice and cool from the AC vents behind it! :)

Thanks, I will be looking at ways to mount my Tab 2 7" in my Trooper this spring. But I have my ham radio mounted right about where your mount is. I have been looking at the RAM-B-316-1-202U "RAM POD I Universal No-Drill™ Vehicle Mount with 18" Rigid Aluminum Rod & Round Adapter Base" that might achieve a similar result to your mount while going around the ham. Or maybe I'll just use a suction cup mount, I dunno yet.

98OzarksRunner

Adventurer
I considered the no-drill mount with the rigid rod but it looked like it might vibrate a lot with the weight of my tablet and I didn't want to have to put another brace at the top. I think a suction mount might work well with a 7" tablet but the 10" is pretty heavy and I didn't want it crashing down on my shifter nob, breaking the screen. The tablet is in the middle of everything but I can still get to the radio and ham radio controls (just not the heat and A/C easily). A 7" would be more than sufficient but I bought the tablet for general use and for that the 10" beats the 7". I just wish the RAM stuff wasn't so expensive! I've got almost half the price of the tablet in the mounting hardware.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Yeah I do wonder how stiff the no-drill would be. I'm hoping to find some feedback from actual users, there aren't any on the Ram website.

Ramjet

Explorer
PadHoldr

I have the PadHoldr mount in my FJ. It works well, but does move a bit when off road. They sent me some foam inserts for the back of it which seems to help with vibrations. I will try to post a pic later.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Those Padholdr dash mounts look pretty interesting as they are short enough to minimize movement, but at $130-140...sheesh, I only paid $160 for the tablet!

86tuning

Adventurer
I'm more interested in the tab and nav software itself. How do you like it? I'm currently using a garmin nüvi with a little 4.3" screen. Garmin topo maps are nice too, all loaded into a microSD. It works well but I'd love a 7" screen.

98OzarksRunner

Adventurer
I'm more interested in the tab and nav software itself. How do you like it? I'm currently using a garmin nüvi with a little 4.3" screen. Garmin topo maps are nice too, all loaded into a microSD. It works well but I'd love a 7" screen.

The tab is great (10"). I think the 7" would do fine for nav use. It's nice to have full control over the display (pan or zoom) and then press 'center' to get oriented again. I like BCN and am using the USGS free topo maps. For my location they are pretty complete, showing most all the forest service roads. I don't think the tab uses differential gps (or the maps/software are not 100% accurate) since my tracks were about 50'-100' off the road when off-road, but that is accurate enough for me. The detail and topo is good and easy to read. I downloaded about 1200 sq miles to local cache and it's about 500 mb of data. At $10, BCN is a bargain.

The only thing I don't like is that you can't change the cursor (triangle) and it seems to always point north. But maybe I just haven't figured that out yet.

BCN doesn't have Garmin goodies like upcoming street names or directions (or the nearest McD's) so I also use the Garmin when on-road.

jCubed

Adventurer
Yeah I do wonder how stiff the no-drill would be. I'm hoping to find some feedback from actual users, there aren't any on the Ram website.

I use the no-drill setup from Panavise. Bounces a small amount but doesn't effect usage on road or off road.

timber

Adventurer
I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 a while back and downloaded Back Country Navigator ($10). It caches the maps so you don't need internet in the field, just the tablet's GPS (if you want to know where you are).

I bought the RAM mounting hardware and installed it. It goes in when I need it and the only permanent piece is the floor mount for the pipe. I bought the 1.5" ball components, which is probably overkill but I wanted it solid.

It would be a little less crowded with a 7" tablet, but old guys need big screens to see the details .

Components:
RAM-232-45U 45 deg pipe mount
RAM-201U-D 7.88" dual socket arm
RAM-218-1U 1.5" ball with 1/2" NPT threads
RAM-238U Diamond plate mount with 1.5" ball
RAM-HOL-TAB-LGU Tablet Cradle
8" piece of 1/2" NPT pipe from Lowes

View attachment 145782

View attachment 145783

View attachment 145784

I have been looking for ram mounts for my Tacoma for a while and recently found this setup on Craigslist

P1070283_zpsee10489d.jpg

It uses the seat base mount and even that was shaking around until I made a brace going to the front which stopped virtually all the shaking. I have been using my girlfriends Asus tf 300 and its great but I don't want to clunk up her tab with all the topos and stuff I would want. I really need to make up my mind what tablet to buy. I hope the Samsung tab 3 is a solid product when it comes out in a few months. I really don't want to buy an I pad and throw I tunes on my pc. Aside from limited storage Last time I did that it pretty much took over my laptop and I'm not going there again! The whole Ram laptop mount is kind of intrusive looking but really is mostly out of the way in my truck even for the passenger, but it has a great range of adjustment! I really like it so far. On the other hand the stuff is expensive! if I couldn't find it on craigslist or E bay for under $100 there is no way I would pay the going price!

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
This is mine, suction mount to the screen, resting On dash so it is a good mount.

That's a simple point worth noting - resting the weight of the tab on the dash would make it a lot less likely that the suction cup would let go...

Ramjet

Explorer
Those Padholdr dash mounts look pretty interesting as they are short enough to minimize movement, but at $130-140...sheesh, I only paid $160 for the tablet!

Oh, I know. It wasn't cheap, but I wanted something that I didn't have to drill holes in my FJ. It is nice to have when we take trips. My son can watch movies and hear through the audio system. It's like having surround sound.

coronan

Ok so everyone loves RAM mounts.
But how do you protect your tablet otherwise???

Silicone skin or folio?

Do you take it out of the case to put it in the mount????

jCubed

Adventurer
Ok so everyone loves RAM mounts.
But how do you protect your tablet otherwise???

Silicone skin or folio?

Do you take it out of the case to put it in the mount????

My Ram Tab-Tite fits my OtterBox case. So it's always in the bullet proof case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz