Building Camper for Small Pickups

mr_ed

Toolbag
56c11f9bf2156e93d75c088933ed01b4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bugeyetex

Observer
Or... buy a f350 with a 4000lb payload rating and put anything you want in the back and tow a zuki behind it for the trails.

Seriously though, nice build! I really wish I had the time and patience to build something that cool. Maybe someday after the kids are a little more self reliant. For now I will stick with repairing the Bigfoot in the driveway as it sees fit.

windtraveler

Observer
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Bundutec Riptide: 950lbs wet weight. 17 gal water, 20lbs propane, Furnace, hot/cold water, outside shower, battery, solar panel, 2" insulation, full sitting headroom, 4' x 6' bed, rear floods, roof racks, Fiama awning.

Last edited:

windtraveler

Observer
I thinking about replacing the Tacoma rear springs with one of these and possibly adding air bags too. Can't decide which to use.
http://www.northwestoffroad.com/parts/2stage.php
http://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/90-297hd.htm

I decided to try SuperSprings. They are progressive and not supposed to affect the unloaded ride. They wound up raising the rear end about 2", just enough to notice. My camper weighs 950lbs wet and the springs are advertised as a 2000lb capacity. They are spectacular. The truck rides better with the camper and the springs than stock without the springs. I went with the SuperSprings because they are "progressive" and super easy to install I had air bags and took them off because they are a pain to maintain and I'm just too darn lazy.

windtraveler

Observer
What type of hoops if any did you have to go through registering your camper?

I am in Washington state USA and nearing completion of our camper. I called the state patrol office to see about getting a VIN (for getting a tag and getting insurance) and they mentioned needing labor and industries signoffs. This seems like BS though since the labor and industries website says you need a VIN before you get labor and industries inspection and also says you only need labor and industries inspection if you plant to sell or lease in WA state.

If they give me too much BS I am just going to move to another state :ylsmoke:
I too am in Washington. My understanding is you only need to register if you are manufacturing for sale. Mine is very similar and I have never registered it. I treat it as a shell.

DHegdahl

Thanks for your inspiration. I have a standard Tacoma that I'm working on plans for. I want something that I can get away on a Friday night for a weekend fly fishing trip and slide back into home Sunday night. This helps keep my focus.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I too am in Washington. My understanding is you only need to register if you are manufacturing for sale. Mine is very similar and I have never registered it. I treat it as a shell.

Might want to check the fine print again.

Pretty sure you need to register home-built units even if you never sell em'

Even here in Idaho we are supposed to.

Its super easy though. AT least here in Idaho :)

southpier

Expedition Leader
....A midget or wheelchair guy can travel & live in a well equipped camper tax free.

yeah, but life may have levied other taxes which we would probably not want to pay.

would you want to be 32" tall and get stuck in the back of the elevator?

or not self propelled and run out of battery because it rained three days and the solar didn't kick in?

as envious as some of these conditions may be to the casual observer, there are most always hidden clauses.

downhill

Adventurer
I've home built a few camper bodies and never registered any of them. I'm not saying others shouldn't, just saying that in 25+ years of driving these things all over the country, even California, I have never been questioned about them once. It's not like they never got noticed either. I really doubt most LEOs know or even care about it. I don't worry about insuring it, because I will have to rebuild it myself anyway if it is damaged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles