WTB: Autohome Columbus Variant SM

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I ordered my Variant sans pad...having experienced the paltry pad with my former Maggiolina...so its just the MegaMat. My pooch stays in the LC...he'd keep me up otherwise :)

To protect my knees when climbing in/out I bought one of those mechanic/gardener kneeling pads made from closed cell foam...and its worked perfectly. You could probably carry a couple of them for your dog...many good alternatives that would work too. But the MegaMat is serious comfort! And something that can be aired up easily/quickly with an OBA compressor/tank if need be. I am able to leave mine inflated and along with a down standard size pillow and my Western Mountaineering Sequoia...to just get the top latched down without stressing anything. Since your bag is much colder duty and hence bulkier I would think airing the MegaMat down would give you adequate space for pillow and your -25F bag.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I did some research on the Megamat and agree it might be the answer for me too. REI customer reviews nearly all gave it a 5 out of 5. Sure would be nice if they made a 48 x 78 model. I think I'll just fill in the gap with a piece of the original mattress. Hate to buy another mat as I already have three older Thermorests and many foam pads. But as one reviewer said "a good night's sleep is priceless". Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Got a Megamat 10 ordered with a 20% off coupon from REI, cost was about $175. Will report how it works ASAP.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Installed the new pad along with 15" sliced off the original mattress to fill in the width. Felt very comfortable with it inflated about 2/3. The extra thick Wiggys bag meant I had to let a lot of air out of the pad to close the lid. I'm heading to Southern Utah for 2+ weeks so will have lots of time to fine tune this combo.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Installed the new pad along with 15" sliced off the original mattress to fill in the width. Felt very comfortable with it inflated about 2/3. The extra thick Wiggys bag meant I had to let a lot of air out of the pad to close the lid. I'm heading to Southern Utah for 2+ weeks so will have lots of time to fine tune this combo.

Just got back from my GSE trip and very happy with the comfort level and having to add air each use was no big deal. I'd get to camp and pop the lid right off. Did other chores while waiting for mattress to self-inflate, then topped it off with 10 pumps with the supplied pump. In the morning I'd pull open the deflate valve and let my weight push the air out. All in all pretty simple and very comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior