Lightweight Homebuilt Camper for my Tacoma

pods8

Explorer
Looking back as some of my FWC pictures, yeah it looks outside on both:
DSC_3363_zps20a32653.jpg

DSC_3355_zpse70fe21b.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
Been lurking in your thread. Great work! Ive been wanting to build a camper and am soaking up ideas.

freeskier125

Observer
riveroceanandmountain,

I know how you feel about the lack of feedback, I always thought out of the 1000's of people viewing my build thread there would be more... feedback, conversation, ideas/suggestions, critiquing, nay saying... I guess I'm not sure what I was looking for or expecting.... but I'm finding myself turning into the forum lurker with ideas / experiences (like one I wish would comment on my own build progress) and not caring enough to share. I agree the "great job!" comments don't provoke much, but at least they keep the tread moving till the next update where someone might have an idea or constructive comment. I'm still trying to figure out what my thread is suppose to be, It's 1/2 build tech, 1/2 trip reports, a little venting about life, just trying to get a little fulfillment, but again, I'm not sure of what. If all it turns out to be is a reference for other Sunlite owners, at least I was able to help a couple people out and spark a few ideas. Also, once you're out exploring and able to post trip reports, more people can relate to the issues/experiences while traveling then building a one off custom camper.

On another note, here is how the canvas is attached on my Sunlite. Not sure if it is of any help...

Canvasbase_zpsef343912.jpg Canvasattatch_zpsaf545749.jpg

The green is where the roof sits on the walls. Red is where the canvas attaches (on the roof, the interior paneling usually hides everything above the big torsion bracket, pic is from the tear down) The canvas folds inwards on top and bottom. I am surprised at the amount of time I've spent in the camper and still have yet to see any real amount of rain, so I can't say much about how it does, if it puddles along the bottom edge, or creates puddles when you lower the canvas when wet.

I am in the process of rebuilding my roof and am about to reskin/insulate it. How did you like the FoamLok spray? How many bottles did it take to do the roof? I'm using XPS and bought tubes of Loctite foam board glue but am reconsidering using the often cursed at GorillaGlue. Rather then just doing squiggly lines everywhere, I could use a spatchula and spread a thin film over every inch and hoping it will expand filling the gaps along the edges. Could be a great idea or might be another project ruined by GorillaGlue.

Anyway, keep up the good work! :ylsmoke:

pods8

Explorer
This is this system I am planing on using on my pop up. I haven't gotten to that stage yet so I don't know if it works or not but I have the materials and they look like they will work well

I was planning the same for mine. Did you find a suggestible source? I was poking around a little the other day to start competitively shopping those parts to add to my parts pile.

I was planning the same for mine. Did you find a suggestible source? I was poking around a little the other day to start competitively shopping those parts to add to my parts pile.

I got mine from http://www.sailrite.com/ they shipped fast and had a lot of helpful videos and info on their site. I did not shop around on price very much because this place had all the sewing supplies I needed in one place. So I went for convenience.

roninjiro

Explorer
I plan on using the kedder system as well, and have been looking around. Here are some of the places I will be using.

For the Aluminum rail

For the Keder welt (bought this and the WRONG size... get the keder welt from sail rite!)

I was looking at sailrite.com, convenient but I am on a strict budget and have to shop around.

Last edited:

craig333

Expedition Leader
Another "wow thats nice reply" :) Nothing to add really. Watching these build threads just make me glad I never attempted one. Way beyond my skill set. Just have to be happy with my FWC. I lurk for two reasons. One, its interesting see the work progress. Two, I always hope to see some I can steal and use in my own.

bphang10, pods8, freeskier125.... thank you all for the pics on the canvas attachment... it looks like I am on the right track... my plan was always to overlap everything like one does when building any roof.... water flows down . The detail I was unclear of was simply using a flat attachment piece on the top outside edge of the wall... or a corner piece which pushes the fabric in a little bit from the edge. The fabric is still attached to the outside of wall.... just a minor detail really... but probably significant when folding it down.

Thanks everyone else for the comments... yes... I sometimes think I am crazy for creating this monster.... but still having fun...just nice to know others are appreciating the effort of posting the whole process.

Monkeyshowpictures.... I like the bolt rope source thanks... I will need one of those when I get to my awning which will be awhile I think.

Here is one crazy idea I spent a small amount of time entertaining.... some way to do a cool hidden LED light... my funky oval idea drops down 2 inches and is centered around the roof fan.....but I vetoed the idea at this stage... didn't like the idea of taking up any headroom.... especially when I remembered I designed the closed height so I could sit inside at the table for a quick lunch break in the rain if need be... without popping up the roof.... the drop ceiling would not have worked with that idea.

Still pondering the hidden LED light thing in the ceiling.... any ideas are welcomed

IMG_2122.jpg

and a shot of the roof skinned... and leaning up against the wall waiting for glue.... as I move on with other things
IMG_2124.jpg

pods8

Explorer
If you really want lower visibility LED mood lighting do it along the perimeter where you won't be banging your head.

draganof

Observer
I have a question for you on the Aluminum Skin you are using. What series is it? 5000, 6000 and if I read correctly it is .035. How difficult was it to work with being so thin. I just purchased 7 sheets of .035 5000 series 48" x 144" for my Expedition Trailer build and now I'm thinking I should have ordered .065. By the way beautiful Craftsmanship on your build. Oh and I want to thank you for convincing me to go the 3M tape route instead of Rivets. Fantastic.

John

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Man, you are killing it! Great write up and keep on going, after building my trailer I can tell you using it at the end of all the fab is SOOOO worth it! Great build man, lightweight is the way to go and the sum of 1,000 little decisions! Keep it light!

Kohburn

Adventurer
how about embedding strips of led lighting down the ceiling and then covering them with something like this to help diffuse the light

could even router a notch in the acrylic trim to fit the led strip into then surface mount it - and it would only take up 3/8" of headroom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne