1985 chevy g-20 mileage question

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
now before i get started im in the process of buying this van(no picts) but is a 85 chevy g20 pathfinder van with a 305 motor auto trans not sure what kind yet.

not having purchased the van yet and im already thinking about how i wanna do this of that. but i was thinking of replacing the gutless 305 with 350. is there a way to to get it set up for maximum mileage, say like 20 or above on the daily driver aspect of the vehicle and have a planetary bow to drop the gear ratios for offroading. is something like than doable or am i just an idiot

Last edited:

rockbender

Adventurer
Why are half of the lugnuts gone?!

You're not going to see 20 mpg ever on a lifted 4x4 van. Sorry. You might come close with a Cummins swap and a manual tranny, but that is about it.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
these vans bring so many memories....we had a short wheel base version of that, 2WD, all black, with a 6 cylinder and a 3 speed manual transmission. Very rare combo - we used it to go snowboarding with all the friends...

So much fun in the winter. I wish I had a picture somewhere.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
i went and looked at it and it has all the lug nuts. they had a album of picts on the restoration. this van body was their second choice.was going to be the donor vehicle but ended up not having as much rust as the one they started with. its got new rubber now,

a diesel swap is too expensive so ill just have to deal with it.

thanks for the replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online