Starting a Ujointclothing 4x4 conversion

Clark

Observer
Starting a Ujoint Offroad 4x4 conversion

Hi everybody - I'm just starting a conversion using the Chris' brackets (ujointclothing). I figured that I would document what the conversion entails so that others could convert their vans (even though I'm planning to take 3-4 months to get it done. A lot of the problems I encounter will probably be considered very basic since I'm a newb when it comes to car work, but I've done loads of other projects so I'm feeling okay. Last week I got my Dana 60 axle. It cost $700 plus $250 shipping from Utah to California. I'm waiting on my nvg271 transfer case that I got for $250 plus $100 shipping from Rhode Island. So far I've been really impressed with Chris' kit. There's some really weird bends in the vans frame and from a quick look it seems the brackets take this into account. I started stripping the axle today. I've got the easy stuff off (rotors, calipers and steering) taken off today.

A few things that I still need to solve so I thought that I would post them:
1) Where would you connect the Track Bar on a van. On the trucks I've seen they are connected to the engine, but I don't see where they can attach on the van.

2) Any ideas on how to attach the sway bar. I know that I won't be able to use the holes that the van's sway bar attaches since the bracket will cover half of the holes. Do I need to go custom?

3) Are there any prefabbed shock loops that will work on a van? I read about Eric Badgers (I believe thats his name) problems with the Sportsmobile shock mount and I would like to avoid this.

Last edited:

jgolden

Adventurer
Congrats on the new purchase!!!! What year and model van is it? Diesel?

www.camburg.com - These guys can fab up anything your want for shock hoops. A little spendy but they do great work.

James

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Yo!! Don't worry about the trac bar, you won't be able to use it for this conversion. Just cut the trac bar mount off the ubolt plate flush on the SD axle. Did the axle come with the sway bar? If it did, some links can come straight up to the frame. Some slight mods may have to be made, but it's do able. As far as the hoops, nothing off the shelf will work, even with small mods. Some custom hoops will have to be fabbed up like mine, or something similar. Looking forward to the posts on the build!!!!

Clark

Observer
I couldn't see how the track bar was going to fit on. My axle did come with a sway bar, but as I've been reading more I'm thinking that I would like to have a sway bar that could be taken on and off easily. Do you have any motivation to make a sway bar/shock loop package that goes with your kit? I know you could sell at least 2 ;)

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I don't think you're going to have enough suspension travel to need a disconnecting sway bar, or taking the van many places that would need it. Atleast for now, just run the superduty bar, you can always upgrade it later after you spend some time offroad with the van.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I am eager to see your build, I've used ford f250 shock mounts on several jeeps. They are cheap and very heavy duty. I just weld them onto the frame. This is the part #E5TZ-18183-A. HTH

photo coutesy of classic broncos
f250shocktowers001.jpg

Last edited:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Those may work, but they look too tall. They'd have to be cut down for sure. A superduty mount (99-04) will work better, and also allow the shock to pivot the same direction as the axle under flex.....

Last edited:

FROADER

Adventurer
Awesome! I can't wait to see this build. I'm hoping to get the kit after the new year. Lots-o-pics please when the time comes. :)

I used those F250 towers on my SAS'd Explorer...very sturdy.

Clark

Observer
I can't wait to see this build
Me either! I'm new to this type of work so this is a bit of a stretch for me. I've got a lot of help so things are starting to come together. I must admit that I really like those brackets - I've heard they're only $12 a shot.

FROADER

Adventurer
What city are you in? I'd be interested in checking out some of the progress sometime, if you wouldn't mind.

Clark

Observer
I'm up in the Mission Viejo area, and you're more than welcome (but you better watch out or I might put you to work ;) ) The project will be moving slowly at this point, but should speed up as I get more things figured out.

FROADER

Adventurer
That's cool with me. It will (hopefully) make mine smoother. :)

So are the brackets and shackles in already, and you're just waiting to rebuild the axle to install?

Clark

Observer
Right now everything is stock. I plan on getting the front bracket in over the holidays. You cant get the shackles in until you're ready to put the axle in since the sleeve goes right in the middle of the 3 holes for the control arm.

FROADER

Adventurer
Gotcha. I wasn't sure if you had it on jackstands or what. I have the whole week after Christmas off, so I'll PM you my # later and we'll go from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier