What is the best GPS/Mapping system for Canada?

skupetz

I am accustomed to using the older Garmin based GPS systems but time marches on. Seems a popular choice to get a iPad and hook it up with a GPS antenna, more sat views etc etc. but I have no idea.

So my question is what is the best setup as far as hardware and more likely software. I am looking for something beyond just a roads & rec software, I plan to be pretty far out.

Thanks,

-Gustaf

if its already been discussed (surprise) just point me in the right direction pls

86tuning

Adventurer
I'm looking into this as well. iPad mini w/3G runs a lot of money still. But easily has the best touch interface of all the tablets I've tried. And if you don't buy a 3G one and get a GPS puck instead, it ends up costing about the same amount.

reece146

Automotive Artist
All the main gps apps have access to Canadian topos - at least all the ones I've tried. I have Motion X and can load whatever I want so far. Also, Avenza PDF-Maps is pretty cool as it displays the NRCan maps as if they were the paper maps. Coverage is kind of hit or miss though as not all maps have been transfered to digital (I think).

Just get the device, you can pick the app later. Old embedded GPS devices are going the way of the dinosaur - tablets are the new hawtness.

Advice: buy the cell enabled version of the iPad. Getting an external GPS antenna gets you nothing and effectively costs more the last time I compared prices. The GPS antenna built into the cell enabled iPad is excellent.

Meettaco

@reece146 , the ipad does not have a gps chip in it. Now while you are within cell range you can get a somewhat good location based on cell towers, it is not gps. You need a standalone bluetooth gps puck or receiver to get a solid lock. If you go out of range from cell towers(which a lot of overlanders do) the stand alone ipad will be worthless.

reece146

Automotive Artist
@reece146 , the ipad does not have a gps chip in it. Now while you are within cell range you can get a somewhat good location based on cell towers, it is not gps. You need a standalone bluetooth gps puck or receiver to get a solid lock. If you go out of range from cell towers(which a lot of overlanders do) the stand alone ipad will be worthless.

No, you are wrong.

If you have an iPad with cellular it has a GPS chip in it as well.

http://www.apple.com/ca/ipad/compare/

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader

Man talk about misinformation.... I can understand if we were still in the early days of the iPad, but dude, the ipad 3G has had a GPS since day one & we're now on the 4th generation, essentially 4 years since they were introduced!!!

Dang... (Shaking head in disbelief)

To the OP, Gustaf... Not sure if your looking for a hardware solution for Canada, or mapping software. If its software, then you should probably post this on the Navigation Software forum...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94