Okinawa

SOFME

Observer
Some new updates.
Went to Okuma resort for a spur of the moment camping trip. We left at 7 from home, and arrived at our campsite by 9. Set-up shop within 30 minutes. After that grilled short ribs, and drank lots of red stripe, maple crown/coke, and the ladies enjoyed red berry vodka. We were definitely the last in the camp to bed. The next day we spent riding jet skis, stand up paddle boards, and playing volley ball. More pictures next time, in the mean time this is it:

IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0887.jpg

IMG_0888.jpg

IMG_0889.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

Found a place south of Onna City called Forest Adventure Park. The park consists of 8 Zip Lines varying in length and speed. There are also several obstacle bridges and ladders. The cost was 7000Yen (roughly $72 dollars).
We started out with a safety briefing, explaining how to rig up the harness. What to touch, what not to touch, etc. Hiro, our instructor always highlighted important point with “do this and you won't die.” After the demonstration, he had us do a quick demonstration and approved us to continue mission. With that he stated with a huge smile, “have fun, try not to die.”
The course is very well thought out. Every obstacle increases with difficulty, and is great for inexperienced /advanced people. Danielle absolutely loved it, and never felt in over her head. If the course is not busy the staff will allow you to go as around as many times as you want..We will be returning earlier in the morning, to try and do time trials. According to our instructor he has the fastest time with 16 minutes start to finish. To give you an idea, Danielle and I strolled through the course spending about 90 minutes to get through.
Some photos and a video (need gopro) to our adventures.

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

ExpoScout

Explorer
Very cool. I never made it there but my SDI, who's now a MSgt. is there, and Ive stayed in touch with him over the years. He always has some cool pics. Take care, stay safe, and SF.

Frank

Explorer
The best tip I ever got to finding the good food on Oki...if there is a Y plate out front, don't go. lol. ...joking of course. I ate at many 'gaijin' restaurants and the food was always awesome.

Have you hit up the lobster stand at the awase market?

SOFME

Observer
Very cool. I never made it there but my SDI, who's now a MSgt. is there, and Ive stayed in touch with him over the years. He always has some cool pics. Take care, stay safe, and SF.

Roger and Tango. Likewise, stay safe brother.

The best tip I ever got to finding the good food on Oki...if there is a Y plate out front, don't go. lol. ...joking of course. I ate at many 'gaijin' restaurants and the food was always awesome.

Have you hit up the lobster stand at the awase market?

Agree 100%. My wife and i are always excited to find places without english menus. simply bust out the google translate for, "please surprise us with something delicious."

We have been to the awase fish market. Sadly we didn't see a lobster stand, but i try to get there every 4 or 5 weeks to buy ox tail for pho (good vietnamese food is non existant here) I will make sure i find the lobster for sure. Thank you for the intel!

ikExpedition

Subscribed!! I'll be in the same situation as you did since I am a die-hard off-road fan that just've been relocated here!!! ...thanks for sharing these useful stuff~~

JOnesbilt24

We just left Oki last April and we had a great time, Im an avid 4wheeler and lucked out and bought an $800 Hilux with brand new 31 BFG AT's and remarkably a winch bumper, luckily I brought My winch. Sad thing was I hydrolocked the truck over by Onna. Anyway next came a 95 Suzuki Jimny with the "big" 1.3l motor. That little truck was unstopable. The Wife had a nice Pajero swb with a Monstrous 3.5 V6 nice truck that hauled ***. Anyway I would het on google earth and search for hidden beaches and we would drive there in the truck. Most of them were easy to get to and well known to the locals but there were rarely any service people. There is a pretty cool off road area called the Golf Course up north just past Nago, this was the furthest I made it but there was also a spoy near camp Gonzalves which was pretty extreme im told. Youll have to ask a local for directions if you want to go. There used to be a 4x4 club and I went on a run once but they kinda petered out and were flaky. Anyway here is a link to my U tube channel it has most of my Oki 4 wheeling Vids further down the line. Take It easy Evan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUmG295CTp4&list=UUAcbH2h625wkVfiL4K-z_aQ&index=31

Area52

Adventurer
SOFME,

Great pics.

I think about my tours in Okinawa often, even though the first two were at Camp Schwab.

My last was at Camp Foster and it was the only time I had a car and could get out and explore in any great detail.

Here's a video I shot during my last tour in 1994 along the Sunabe Seawall.

Jim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScTxUXyn4z0

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
I other post I too was an AirForce Brat from 68 to 71. We lived off base in Chibana Houseing. Between the rock Quarry and the driving school. We had the walk to school at Kadena through the side gate that was only there for us kids to go to school. For fun my dad would take us to the K9 training area and watch the dogs work. We got a black german shepard from there because they were going to put it down. Everyone in our hopusing area had guard dog to keep the Stealie boys away. It cost .10 cents for us to ride a taxi to the main gate of Kadena. From there we could get on the bus and go all around the base.

SOFME

Observer
Sorry for the lack of updates... Been super busy with work.... But, my wife finally got her dive cert so when I'm not working we are diving... So far we've got 12 (including her cert dives)... Been to the more popular places. Now that she is much more comfortable in the water we will start looking at more adventurous dives... Furthermore the truck build has taken a slight backseat to buying dive equipment. Here is a quick video taken at Onna point : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_h3Vga1Luc

goodwaves

Adventurer
THE ROCK!! went to high school at Kubasaki and spent a year after grad there as well. Loved the place, didn't wanna come back!!! That was over 30 years ago. I imagine it has changed quite abit. Keep the pics coming, so many memories! What's the exchange rate these days?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne