Roof top tent - DIY - Scratch build

JamesDowning

Explorer
How do you plan to make your seams waterproof? I folded my seams twice in hopes of preventing water ingress, but it didn't seem to prove 100% effective when I was out during a very heavy overnight rainstorm. I've since sealed my seams from the outside. We'll see if that worked.

My method of attaching the tent using velcro has proven to be very successful so far. It has the hook portion stuck to the wood, and then stapled into place with a liberal amount of staples. The loop section is then sewn into the fabric of the tent. The tent is then stretched down, and fastened to the hook portion. It's very strong, easily removable/adjustable, and it wraps the fabric under the wood without any grommets or holes, so there's no possibility of water ingress at the joint. I'd suggest doing with that method if you can.

You can see below how my tent fabric just wraps under, with no visible attachment.

36.jpg

balu4k

Adventurer
How do you plan to make your seams waterproof? I folded my seams twice in hopes of preventing water ingress, but it didn't seem to prove 100% effective when I was out during a very heavy overnight rainstorm. I've since sealed my seams from the outside. We'll see if that worked.

My method of attaching the tent using velcro has proven to be very successful so far. It has the hook portion stuck to the wood, and then stapled into place with a liberal amount of staples. The loop section is then sewn into the fabric of the tent. The tent is then stretched down, and fastened to the hook portion. It's very strong, easily removable/adjustable, and it wraps the fabric under the wood without any grommets or holes, so there's no possibility of water ingress at the joint. I'd suggest doing with that method if you can.

You can see below how my tent fabric just wraps under, with no visible attachment.

I am planning to use the seam sealant tape and spray that is specific for Vinyl fabric. also i will having the Rain fly on top of the tent extending on the sides which would prevent the rain directly hitting the tent and hence i think that should solve issue.

Staples seams to be a good idea too. i definitely want the tent to be removable so that i can stich any thing extra later if needed.

thanks for the input james.

madmax718

Explorer
Its cheap, and if kept dry will last a long time. There is marine grade ply which is better suited, and is heavily used for RV floors.

It does provide something like r2 insulation (or r3 depending on thickness). You can use aluminum tongue and grove which would save some weight and be firmer and easier to attach perhaps. but that will suck heat out of your body like crazy without a good topper.

balu4k

Adventurer
I was wondering...Is plywood the best choise for the base of an RTT?

not sure if plywood is the best. but i used some treated plywood which is made for outdoor use and then treated with some water repellents. eventually i might end up painting it some water proof paints.

i used 3/4" thickness.

Are you planning to do a DIY RTT ?

JamesDowning

Explorer
Define best.

Cheapest, probably.

Lightest, doubtful.

If I recall, I used standard 5/8" sheathing, then sanded and treated it. It seems to work very well, but it is still quite heavy.

ex m38a1er

Adventurer
not sure if plywood is the best. but i used some treated plywood which is made for outdoor use and then treated with some water repellents. eventually i might end up painting it some water proof paints.

i used 3/4" thickness.

Are you planning to do a DIY RTT ?

Ι started a few years ago building the trailer that it is in my sign.
In the mean time and just before i finish it,the law here changed and there are no homebuilt trailers allowed in public
streets and trails.Only factory built ones.
So I'm stuck with the tent that i've built for the top of my trailer and thinking off converting it into RTT.
It's ready, so it should be no problem,but my rig is a Wrangler Tj so High mounted heavy stuff is something I'd like
to avoid...

Last edited:

Emerica

Thanks

I wanted to say thanks.
You set me in my ways to start on my own, and I basically copied your hinge idea, but welded instead. I made a full frame out of recycled bed frames.
I've currently made the tent out of tarp. This was to be really cheap but still be very functional. When I get to a happy place I'll move to a better fabric and use the tarp shell I have now for templates.
IMAG0417.jpg

BoxingIn.jpg

IMG_0337.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

IMG_0367.JPG

IMG_20130525_182223.jpg

IMG_20130605_081659.jpg

IMG_20130530_204249.jpg

IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0585.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

It's sure time consuming, but it's comfy! Thanks again

balu4k

Adventurer
I wanted to say thanks.
You set me in my ways to start on my own, and I basically copied your hinge idea, but welded instead. I made a full frame out of recycled bed frames.
I've currently made the tent out of tarp. This was to be really cheap but still be very functional. When I get to a happy place I'll move to a better fabric and use the tarp shell I have now for templates.

It's sure time consuming, but it's comfy! Thanks again

super cool. mine is in last stage of sewing... but i have put a hold on it until i finish my trailer so that i can finalize few finishes based on how it fits my trailer..
did you recycle that ladder from some where ?

AlexSmith

I registered here just to see this entire thread and it really worth! Thanks for sharing this stuff, guys!

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Very cool build. My canvas guys uses marine sealent in the seams and doubles them over and then sews up.

balu4k

Adventurer
Any updates to your build? I"m liking what I'm seeing so far.

Not yet. new baby at home slowed down everything and I just started the work back on my trailer for a week now. hoping to finish up the trailer in a month or two and then jump back to the tent...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles