Project L322 ???? Yay or Nay ?

frank84

Observer
I always like following build ups, especially of something different, so i'd follow along. But I don't own one and never will.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I'm interested in the build-up because I've always liked the Range Rover style and concept most of any Rover. I've been playing with the idea of getting a newer Rover this year and am leaning towards the L322. Similar prices to the LR3 too. I know the LR3 has some advantages, but to my knowledge, they don't seem to be that great over the L322. I have read on some the the UK and Aussie forums that the earlier L322's, 03-05 are better off road than the later ones, which have moved even further towards street use. . .

jdholder

Explorer
The rear air suspension failure occurred on bags that had 80k miles. I think it was exacerbated by using a computer only lift. In other words, I had reprogrammed the bags for a 1.5 inch lift using air only.

I don't do that anymore. I had customer airbag spacers for the rear and strut spacers for the from fabricated to drop the suspension pick up points and achieved the lift mechanically. Then I had to also space the height sensors in order to fool them into believing they were in the same relative stock position.

I believe this is the "correct" way to lift a MKIII - but that's just my educated opinion.

brushogger

Explorer
Do it Justin! If you can build a P38 that will stay running this should be cake for you. These types of Rovers will be the future of your business. Stay on the bleeding edge. In a few more years, all the discos will have been modded or dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
Hi Jon,
As long as you are not going out of the physical range of travel of the height sensors you could have left them where they were. The 2002-05 L322 has no internal limits in the EAS ECU (in contrast to 2006> where you have a max. calibration range of around 100mm before the ECU throws a plausibility error). As far as airbags failures go, it is usually more an age issue than mileage - dry rot. I def agree on your having accelerated the demise of your airbags with the lift: the area that was normally rolled over for years on end is suddenly straight and stressed completely differently.
I'd be very interested in seeing your spacers. I've thought about spacing the front and rear sub-frames/springs down. Not very hard, though... :p
(thought about it because I'd love to run a L322 in the Breslau Rallye if I could find time and money).

Justin: Yay!

jdholder

Explorer
Hi Jon,
As long as you are not going out of the physical range of travel of the height sensors you could have left them where they were. The 2002-05 L322 has no internal limits in the EAS ECU (in contrast to 2006> where you have a max. calibration range of around 100mm before the ECU throws a plausibility error). As far as airbags failures go, it is usually more an age issue than mileage - dry rot. I def agree on your having accelerated the demise of your airbags with the lift: the area that was normally rolled over for years on end is suddenly straight and stressed completely differently.
I'd be very interested in seeing your spacers. I've thought about spacing the front and rear sub-frames/springs down. Not very hard, though... :p
(thought about it because I'd love to run a L322 in the Breslau Rallye if I could find time and money).

Even with your excellent device, I couldn't get enough adjustment in the computer to just leave the height sensors alone - so I extended the rods and all was right with the world again.

I use your device to level out the vehicle and also to make Access Height even lower than stock.

Thanks,

Jon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior