Cabover Thoughts - Lance 7.6 / 2005 Tacoma

slosquirrel

My buddy recently got rid of his truck and is willing to give me a VERY good deal ($200) on a used 1987 Lance Squire LS1000 7.6 Cabover camper.

It could use a good cleaning but everything is there, it's water tight, and it's in decent shape. It's got a sink, oven, stove, and fridge (currently missing). No shower or toilet.

Problem is I can't find ANY info on the camper. I think it weighs 1000-1200 lbs and was originally designed for use in the smaller pickups of the 80's.

It'll be going in the back of my 2005 Tacoma TRD Off Road, Access Cab, V6, 4x4, 6-Speed. When my buddy picked it up he drove it home on the back of a stock and abused base model 1990 toyota truck (2wd, 4cyl, 4speed), so I know my truck can "handle it".

I'll use it for weekend get-aways with the girlfriend and dogs. My buddy liked it more than pop-ups because you can get away with "urban camping".

However, some buddies and I are going to Baja in June for a week long surfing, dirt biking, and beer drinking trip. I'm thinking of bringing the new addition but it's to soon to tell.

Any input, thoughts, opinions? Tips, Tricks, Ideas?

Lance Squire LS1000 7.6 Back Left.jpgLance Squire LS1000 7.6 Back Right.jpg

uriedog

metal melter
Check the centre of gravity. Should be within a couple inches of you axle, even better if its ahead. I have a 7'6" 1983 Valley Camper on my 1992 Toyota pick up. Scaled at 900lbs loaded. I have medium duty OME Dakar leaf springs and I modified a set of Timbrens that I put in when the camper is on.

Last edited:

FishPOET

Adventurer
It'll be going in the back of my 2005 Tacoma TRD Off Road, Access Cab, V6, 4x4, 6-Speed. When my buddy picked it up he drove it home on the back of a stock and abused base model 1990 toyota truck (2wd, 4cyl, 4speed), so I know my truck can "handle it".

It weighs more than you think. Mine weighs as much as 3000 lbs loaded. You should really reconsider the I know my truck can "handle it"

slosquirrel

• Check the centre of gravity. Should be within a couple inches of you axle, even better if its ahead. I have a 7'6" 1983 Valley Camper on my 1992 Toyota pick up. Scaled at 900lbs loaded. I have medium duty OME Dakar leaf springs and I modified a set of Timbrens that I put in when the camper is on.

I just looked at your bill and am IMPRESSED! I've had 3 Pre-Tacoma Toyota trucks in my day and LOVE them. I'm suprised how well your truck handles that camper.

My camper looks a bit bigger than yours, but shouldn't weigh to much more. I'm trying to decide on what suspension is needed.

It weighs more than you think. Mine weighs as much as 3000 lbs loaded. You should really reconsider the I know my truck can "handle it"

I have no doubt it weighs more than I think, especially once loaded. That being said this thing was made in 1987 for mini trucks of that vintage (Pre-Tacoms, Ranger, S-10, Hardbody, etc.) My truck has over 2x the HP and Torque those had.

I know suspension will be the weak link, but that's what I'm soliciting input on.

I don't want to lift my truck (at this time). Once the stock TRD suspension is shot then I might be going towards something aftermarket with minimal lift (~1.5"-2").

I don't have the TSB leafs but don't mind them under normal conditions and want to maintain as close to a stock ride as possible when not loaded down.

That being said what would be the most efficient route to go (cost and effectiveness?
    Firestone Ride-Right Airbags in the Rear
    Timbrens in the Rear?
    AAL / Overload leaf:
    Wheelers Super Bumps? (I think I want the front super bumps regardless, but am unsure of the rear).

Any input is welcome. First hand experience is even more appreciated. And Pics are a plus.

Thanks for all the input!!!

Goober

Adventurer
Why don't you test load it to see how it sits. If it takes the axle down to the frame....well you decide. I've heard of bent bed mounts from heavy campers.

FishPOET

Adventurer
That being said what would be the most efficient route to go (cost and effectiveness?) and maintain as close to a stock ride as possible when not loaded down

Urie's camper weighs 900 lbs loaded. Yours weighs at least 1500 lbs empty.

Stop guessing at the weight. Weigh the truck with the camper on fully loaded for trip. (people, gear, fluids, everything) How many thousands of pounds will you be over the manufactures recommendations?

The Tacoma is a fantastic platform but the suspension mods are all band aids for hauling a load that your truck was never designed to carry. You seem to be caught up in the fact that you think your Tacoma has the horsepower and torque move the load. Hauling a heavy load safely needs a lot more than HP and torque. The Tacoma brakes were never designed to stop the amount of weight you are planning on hauling. Unless you are on "E" rated tires, the tires will be overloaded. As urie pointed out the center of gravity on the camper is extremely important. If there is too much weight behind your rear wheels your handling will be affected. You need to consider porpoising when carrying a tall heavy load on a truck with soft suspension. We get a lot of wind in California and your Tacoma will have a huge sail in the bed pushing you around.

Finlay

Triarius
I saw this over at TW, too. We can speculate until the cows come home - You need to find out how much weight we are talking here.

I believe you that your truck can handle it - and at that price, it's definitely worth a shot. With more information we can give better advice.

Airbags + AAL are probably your best short term option. But you really need to consider upgraded springs - I had the 4leaf on my taco, and the truck would squat pretty good with 800lbs of gear and crap on.

uriedog

metal melter
Great for levelling your truck when loaded(still have to stay within gvwr), loss of articulation, can get pretty expensive

Timbrens in the Rear? You can feel them impact when the truck is empty (unless you mod them like me for easy removal) great ride loaded. Loose less articulation then air bags. Still ride well offroad.

AAL / Overload leaf:
Pretty good all round, a little stiffer ride over stock. Truck will sag less with air bags, or timbrens.

Wheelers Super Bumps? don't have any experience with these. But it does not look like that they are intended for load control

slosquirrel

Why don't you test load it to see how it sits. If it takes the axle down to the frame....well you decide. I've heard of bent bed mounts from heavy campers.

I'm def going to load it first and see the results. Then take it from there.

Urie's camper weighs 900 lbs loaded. Yours weighs at least 1500 lbs empty.

Stop guessing at the weight. Weigh the truck with the camper on fully loaded for trip. (people, gear, fluids, everything) How many thousands of pounds will you be over the manufactures recommendations?

The Tacoma is a fantastic platform but the suspension mods are all band aids for hauling a load that your truck was never designed to carry. You seem to be caught up in the fact that you think your Tacoma has the horsepower and torque move the load. Hauling a heavy load safely needs a lot more than HP and torque. The Tacoma brakes were never designed to stop the amount of weight you are planning on hauling. Unless you are on "E" rated tires, the tires will be overloaded. As urie pointed out the center of gravity on the camper is extremely important. If there is too much weight behind your rear wheels your handling will be affected. You need to consider porpoising when carrying a tall heavy load on a truck with soft suspension. We get a lot of wind in California and your Tacoma will have a huge sail in the bed pushing you around.

Urie also has his on the back of a pre-tacoma with Timbrens. His truck has a slightly better payload rating(1365lbs vs. 1640lbs) but has about half the towing capacity (~3,500lbs vs. ~6,500lbs)

I'm not "guessing" weight, I'm trying to see what info I can find on it and receive input form others. Honestly the only hard number I've seen so far (I believe on NADA) was 910lbs empty. I have solicited input from Lance (via email), but was hoping others could help me. Once I get the thing on my truck my first stop will be the scales (before modifications or adventures).

I know my Tacoma wasn't made for heavy hauling. But it's what I have, and what my cabover fits. The brakes should be fine if they can tow that much. Tires can be replaced. I know suspension and center of gravity will be my weak link, that's why I'm trying to do research.

LanceSpecAddonWeights.jpg

I saw this over at TW, too. We can speculate until the cows come home - You need to find out how much weight we are talking here.

I believe you that your truck can handle it - and at that price, it's definitely worth a shot. With more information we can give better advice.

Airbags + AAL are probably your best short term option. But you really need to consider upgraded springs - I had the 4leaf on my taco, and the truck would squat pretty good with 800lbs of gear and crap on.

Finlay, you caught me double dipping. Both sites offer A LOT of insight so I thought it wouldn't hurt to post on both.

Trying to get more info on the camper so we all have a better baseline.

I think airbags will be a must. If needed I will probably replace the springs all together (with wheelers HD springs, or similar) rather than put a band aid on my old leaf pack with an AAL.

Great for levelling your truck when loaded(still have to stay within gvwr), loss of articulation, can get pretty expensive

Timbrens in the Rear? You can feel them impact when the truck is empty (unless you mod them like me for easy removal) great ride loaded. Loose less articulation then air bags. Still ride well offroad.

AAL / Overload leaf:
Pretty good all round, a little stiffer ride over stock. Truck will sag less with air bags, or timbrens.

Wheelers Super Bumps? don't have any experience with these. But it does not look like that they are intended for load control

Firestones are under $300 and can stay cheap if you don't install the "extras".

Superbumps would only be for the front to dampen any potential bottoming out over dips, bumps, etc...

Attachments

• Ranger - Lance Squire LS1000 7.6.JPG
    Ranger - Lance Squire LS1000 7.6.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 44

slosquirrel

WEIGHT!!!

Got a response from Lance with some specs and info (pretty quickly too... within ~48hrs). Unfortunately not the clearest scans but it gives me some ideas.

According to their specs this thing weighs 910lbs.

While that might not be the lightest thing out there it isn't bad for a hard-sided cab-over from the late 80's. I'll still take it to the scales to figure out actual weight and weight distribution.

I still have some work to do to the camper. I plan on cleaning it up and "lighten it up" it wherever I can.

Also have some work to do to the Taco (I plan on going the Firestone Ride-Rite route)

A few questions now:
  • Does anyone know where the best deal is on these? Any recommendations for securing / tie-downs to keep this thing on the back.

Attachments

• 1987 Lance LS Series Spec Sheet - Reduced.pdf
    183.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 1987 Lance Squire LS Series - Toyota Pickup.pdf
    162.6 KB · Views: 44

goulou67

hi! there, you will have a pretty good load on you tacoma with the camper loaded water, gear, food , beer etc...one sugestion, timbren load helpers, do not bother with airbags they are a waste of money, i went trough three sets of airbags before i switched to timbrens, never looked back, installed them 4 years ago!!!! i live in new brunswick canada were we get long hard winters, warmer climates might be different for airbags just my opinion safe travels!!:victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles