MG Metalworks Van Build

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Got the adapter parts back from plating.... :drool:

In the foreground is the clocking ring for mating the NV271 to the Allison and hanging out on the left are the input/output flanges for the transfer case. Plating isn't perfect corrosion protection but it is better than raw steel...and it looks good!

DSC_0717 (1024x865).jpg

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Wow, that's pretty! Is that reflection or scuffing on the ring?

Reflection. Ain't no scuffs up in here! Well...not until my 2 year old yanks the corner of the blanket the parts are sitting on which will send the newly plated pieces across the shop to bang and slam and slide against every possible abrasive surface from the table to the ground... Excuse me while I bubble wrap these and put them back in the box.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
While I do love my van and I'm generally pretty happy with it, there's always room for improvement. Two goals I'm working on here... 1) a little more lift so I can step up to 35" tires in the near future and 2) correct the not-even-close-to-enough caster problem (my van is currently measuring out on the low side of Ford's spec for this axle).

I did try to get to my goals using the radius arm brackets that are on the van now but it wasn't going to work out how I really wanted it. I spent part of the day today "fixing" the problem...at least in CAD. The inner and outer brackets will be welded together to make a solid unit but this will be all bolt-on to the frame. I still have a little fine tuning to do for ease of forming/fixturing/welding and then some gussets to design in but the hard part (the correct geometry) is done.

Now I've got the axle where I want it. I need to go talk to my press brake guy... :)

brackets.JPG

fmboss429

Observer
While I do love my van and I'm generally pretty happy with it, there's always room for improvement. Two goals I'm working on here... 1) a little more lift so I can step up to 35" tires in the near future and 2) correct the not-even-close-to-enough caster problem (my van is currently measuring out on the low side of Ford's spec for this axle).

I did try to get to my goals using the radius arm brackets that are on the van now but it wasn't going to work out how I really wanted it. I spent part of the day today "fixing" the problem...at least in CAD. The inner and outer brackets will be welded together to make a solid unit but this will be all bolt-on to the frame. I still have a little fine tuning to do for ease of forming/fixturing/welding and then some gussets to design in but the hard part (the correct geometry) is done.

Now I've got the axle where I want it. I need to go talk to my press brake guy... :)

View attachment 283055

Sweet...

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I started playing around with the fitment of the Cummins today. I'm happy that it fits in the frame just like I expected. Some clearances are tight but for the most part things are fairly accessible. The radiator will have to move forward a little but I'd rather do that than reshape the doghouse.

DSC_0725 (1024x685).jpg
DSC_0726 (1024x685).jpg
DSC_0728 (1024x685).jpg
DSC_0730 (1024x685).jpg

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
I just spent the last hour or two reading this from the beginning, and all I can say is, "Not bad." Actually, you're freaking amazing! Congratulations on how far your project has gotten so far. Add me to the band-wagon of fans you have, because I am subscribing for updates!

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I just spent the last hour or two reading this from the beginning, and all I can say is, "Not bad." Actually, you're freaking amazing! Congratulations on how far your project has gotten so far. Add me to the band-wagon of fans you have, because I am subscribing for updates!

Thanks for following along! I might finally get some time away from work to crank this project up in the coming weeks and I'll post as often as I can.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Time for a little Allison love in preparation of mounting the drive train. Because this trans hasn't seen much use (built in early 2008 then less than 2500 miles), I was on the fence about whether I needed to tear it all the way down for inspection. But then I started thinking that I had to pull it mostly apart for some part upgrades anyway so what the heck...let's gut this thing!! Just about everything inside looks like brand new. The valve body harness connector was cracked and would have likely leaked really bad so that was nice to find out now. At least now I can clean up the cases really good and make this thing look like new on the outside too.

DSC_0732 (536x800).jpg

Front bellhousing off
DSC_0735 (800x536).jpg

Deep inside the front half
DSC_0736 (800x536).jpg

The back half
DSC_0739 (800x536).jpg

Bare case
DSC_0755 (800x536).jpg

The innards...
DSC_0756 (800x536).jpg

Bonus discovery of the day... This trans is configured with the PTO gear. :)

This was originally a 2WD trans so I'll be replacing the tail housing and output shaft when it goes back together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94