MG Metalworks Van Build

Arctic Travelller

Adventurer
Wow, I've been a mechanic all my life, but automatic transmissions have been the one thing I prefered to leave to those that specialize in them. Your a brave man, but in light of the scope of this entire project, I guess this is pretty minor. .......

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Wow, I've been a mechanic all my life, but automatic transmissions have been the one thing I prefered to leave to those that specialize in them. Your a brave man, but in light of the scope of this entire project, I guess this is pretty minor. .......

The Allison is simple, nothing to be afraid of. I took lots of pictures and I have the factory manuals to look through if I get stuck.

I wish Newberg was feasibly on the way to Moab. Would love to see your progress and catch up.

Yeah, not the most direct route is it?

fmboss429

Observer
I just spent the last hour or two reading this from the beginning, and all I can say is, "Not bad." Actually, you're freaking amazing! Congratulations on how far your project has gotten so far. Add me to the band-wagon of fans you have, because I am subscribing for updates!

I got hooked too! The man has an amazing talent for design and engineering. MG is a rockstar in my book... (I'm just glad i'm not the only one will to admit it)

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Waiting on a bunch of Allison internal parts but I'm not letting it slow me down! I am 99% sure this is where I want to mount the engine/trans. All of the measurements so far are looking good for clearances except I need to drop the trans mount down a little to get the correct angle and the power steering pump might need to be relocated. Neither are show stoppers...just opportunities to practice making stuff. :)

DSC_0758 (800x536).jpg

DSC_0762 (800x536).jpg

DSC_0761 (800x536).jpg

This position gives me a couple inches of doghouse clearance at the back of the head. Plenty of room to service the A/C compressor and there might even be room to change the oil filter (I have a relocation kit if needed).

Good times!!!

mgmetalworks

Explorer
... and the power steering pump might need to be relocated.

With the steering box in place now, there is definitely a need to relocate the power steering pump. The good news is that a simple laser cut bracket (or brackets) will do the trick. There is no bad news... I'm not letting a little power steering pump stand in my way!!! I am trying to use the same size belt as the factory but it looks like it would be a little cleaner if I could source a belt just a tad shorter. Time for some internet searches through belt catalogs to find a readily available size in the range I'm looking for. :)

Last edited:

mgmetalworks

Explorer
It may seem like I'm bouncing around a little here but there is a method to the madness. So many things have to be done on the van while it is conveniently torn apart for the Cummins swap that whenever I have a spare moment, I try to get smaller projects lined up as best I can. Here are some examples....

The F-series head light switch fits in the van dash with the added bonus of a pull-on switch for a set of fog lights. Same connector as the van, just a few additional wires to add in for factory look headlight/fog light switch. (stock van switch on the left, F-series switch installed).

DSC_0767 (800x536).jpg

When I have the van harnesses out for the Cummins swap, I'll just run some extras up to this switch, find an empty fused circuit in the panel and an extra relay if possible.

I'm going to set up ESOF so how about this switch that also includes a pull on switch for a differential lock? I will have to do a little custom dash work to make this look factory clean but after doing the mirrors, this will be a cake walk. This will work perfectly for the upcoming Sterling 10.5 with ARB locker.

DSC_0769 (800x536).jpg

I also started getting parts to finish up the Allison. Like this box of fresh grade 10.9 Cad plated bolts for the cases and pan. Call me crazy but I get a bit excited over the little details. :)

DSC_0768 (800x536).jpg

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Awesome on the switches!! Does the F-series headlight switch only fit in '08+ new interior vans?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior