MG Metalworks Van Build

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Haha! Ok, I hadn't planned on posting because the last couple of days has mostly been parts hunting but here ya go...

I picked up some laser cutting today. These pieces are for reinforcing areas of the cross member that were either previously cut by Quadvan or areas that will be part of the engine mounting locations. CAD screen shot of how things go together...

and the parts...

I also got everything I need for the A/C lines either here or on it's way. The Cummins compressor has one hose that is the same size as the Ford and the other is slightly smaller. I was hoping they were the same size so I could just crimp one end and be done but no such luck. I went to the Pick-n-Pull yard thinking it would be relatively easy to find a similar hose end fitting that could work but after 45 mins of poking my head into engine bays I was starting to think I'd have to come up with a different condenser or something. I was walking down one of the rows headed for the exit when my phone beeped (text from wife) so I set my toolbox down on the car next to me to type out a response. I went to pick up my tools and right there in front of me, on a 2001 Jeep liberty, was a fitting similar enough in shape and the perfect size for my conversion. What freakin' luck! (Ford fitting on bottom)

The ends are clocked just a tiny bit differently but it will work fine for what I'm doing. I have the crimp ferrules on order, the tool is here ready to go. Just have to cut to length and crimp then A/C lines are done! Heater hoses are done too. Ready to snap on just factory lines. So nice to be checking things off the list!

Only reason I can think of Ford doing that was to create a flow restriction so they could increase "soak" time in the condenser. This helps reduce the size of the condenser needed.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Wow - this is amazing - you must spend a fortune on laser cuts ;) Look real nice.

Actually it's not that bad. This was a relatively small order so the price was kinda high compared to others but it still worked out to less than $20 per part. I'm ok with that for the level of detail I can cut to and the 4 day turn around...

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Only reason I can think of Ford doing that was to create a flow restriction so they could increase "soak" time in the condenser. This helps reduce the size of the condenser needed.

That could be. I can always change out the condenser if there is an issue. Adapting the lines would be simple now that I have the parts and tools.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
More work on the fuel tank conversion....

I decided that I want the fuel filler door at the back of the van but because of the rear A/C and an under body cross member, accomplishing this task isn't as easy as cutting a hole for the fuel door. With the body off, it's much easier to do stuff so I notched the under body cross member so the filler tube could snake around the A/C unit and have an all downhill fill path.

Started with a hole saw

Cut both sides

With a piece of tube welded into the fresh cut, I now have clearance for the fuel filler tube. The filler tube will come out from the side of the van, turn into the "tunnel" i just made then turn again into the tank filler neck. Should be an easy bend to make for an exhaust guy. I'll have a tube made next week.

Next up is the fuel door opening. Not a lot of access to the outside panel from the back for cutting in and mounting the fuel door until I cut the interior panel out. I'm thinking of 3D printing a dimple die set the shape of the fuel door recess and attempting to form the shape into my quarter panel rather than weld one in and repaint the area.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
After a few iterations, I finally have my power steering bracket dialed in. The 3D printer sure is handy for this kind of work. In a couple hours I have a part I can install and test for fit and function while burning through maybe $3 in materials. Also pretty stoked that I can retain the factory fan shroud mount arm and not have to build something from scratch. The way the mount bends around the pump, it's like it was supposed to be that way.

The belt path is good, clearances are tight but acceptable and I gained a little extra room for the intercooler hose routing. Part drawing made up and released to CNC vendor for machining quote...typical lazy Sunday around here. :)

tgreening

Expedition Leader
What material did you print your part from? Is the part solid or skeletal? From the pic it looks solid. Print time?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles