HEADLAMPS ON MY 96 'BURB ARE ACTING UP...

nosnerd

wanna be tourist
..they started flashing on/off for the thrird time now.i turn them off then back on real fast.prob solved.but we were coming back from my moms along a very dark highway with some freezing rain...and i gotta say i awas somewhat worried..i have yet to install the PAINLESS PERF relay for 4 bulb hibeams,,it is my next upgrade once the snow melts..but any(other) tricks i should know?

is it the switch?

grounds look ok..a buddy of mine had his switch burn up on him...i would really like to avoid this...a fire in dash that is..:Wow1:

1stDeuce

Explorer
Yup, switches burn out pretty easily, and the grease turns black and makes it worse. Put in a new switch and go from there.
C

greengreer

Adventurer
Look into an upgraded harness, as was said before it is likely the switch. The factory runs the power through it whereas the aftermarket harness hooks the light directly through the battery. Also this will give you all four on high

Revco

Adventurer
Get a new switch and install that Painless Harness harness at the same time. Save yourself the headache and get the AC Delco switch.

1leg

Explorer
New switch, then do the head light relay upgrade. switch going out is pretty normal on these rigs. Also check all the wiring connections are clean and tight.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
As stated above, most headlight issues on this generation of GM truck are in the switch. But not the headlight switch itself, but the multifunction switch (turn signal switch in the column). Didn’t see anybody specify which switch to replace. That is not to say problems with the actual headlight switch do not exist.

AC Delco D826A or Napa DL6087 for Tilt column. Not cheap either, MSRP is around $300
102896.jpg

Unfortunately the headlight switch isn’t much cheaper… Around $200 AC Delco D1523H or Napa HL7043
275207.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94