Plasma cutter or Torch??

warwgn

Explorer
So gonna be building my bumpers soon which will require cutting some plate steel for sure. I only have my sawzall and 14"chop saw, so not gonna "cut" it for the fab work I want to do. My problem is I dont think I will have the cash to buy both new tools so got to choose one.

I am leaning toward the torch, I can cut stuff no issue with a torch and if you clamp some angle iron down as a guide you can make very straight cuts and not too ruff. Cost right now at harbor freight is $279 for a kit but only has 20 cubic ft. oxygen tank and 10 cubic ft. acetylene tank so I think it will run out fast. So would need to get bigger bottles to make it really usefull for fabrication.

The up side I can tote it around for small stuff with the little bottles, and can use to heat and bend tube, pipe, plate, and start the fire place when it's been raining and the wood is wet..etc..etc

image_11359.jpg

On the other hand I can get a CUT50 Plasma cutter free shipping for $295, it's 220V and ready to go with some extra consumables. can't heat stuff but it will make quick work of the 3/16 plate I will use and better for any body work cutting that will be in the future too. Got some doors to patch and this would work like a champ to remove the bad spots.

I think in the short term the plasma is cheaper, but long run torch would be way more useful.

!CCVpBUwCWk~$(KGrHqIOKjYEzmRmHvuZBNKznl(H(!~~_35.JPG

So what do you guys think, any ups and downs I am missing?

ExpoMike

Having both, I find I use the torch more for heating steel than cutting. I have never mastered the art of torch cutting to get a clean cut. I do about most cutting with the plasma, when I am using a heat cutting device. Since getting my industrial 14" band saw, I do 90% of my cutting on it. Way cleaner, less heat and clean up.

That said, I have definitely used the plasma about 5-1 over the torch for cutting, especially when doing sheet metal work. That said, I tend to use the body saw or cut off wheel more than the plasma. Not sure if I was any help looking at this. I find I just can't have enough tools! YMMV

BradtheWelder

If buying the cheaper stuff I would go with the oxy torch. There is some cheaper descent plasma cutters out there but more bad ones than go ones. Do some research. You will need a oxy torch for heating up things for sure...you might be able to pick one of those up used also for even cheaper than the one listed.

eggman918

Adventurer
If I could only have one I would want the torch,and I would buy a used Victor or Harris before a Harbor Freight torch they can be overhauled and never truly "wear out" .With a little luck/patience you might fine a set with big bottles also when cutting you use 2 to 3 times as much oxygen as acetylene.Once you have a torch you will be amazed how often you will find a use for it. just my two cents.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I also have bolth. I use my torch not than any thing and probably use one 3-5 times a day at work(auto tech) torch is the best bang for the buck.

uriedog

metal melter
I would go torch my self. Plasma is great, but you will also need a good size air compressor for it to operate properly.

warwgn

Explorer
Got a good compressor, but I think I am gonna go torch. The first set of bumpers I built 15yrs ago I used a torch, and worked perfect.

Now if I can just find a good deal on the large bottles!!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I agree with the used Victor option. Look on Craigslist, pawnshops etc and see what you can find. "Only a rich man can buy cheap tools".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles