Dodge Ram suspension upgrades complete

my1stcummins

Adventurer
After years of slowly building my Ram's suspension for durability and mild(it's all relative) performance enhancements I've decided to sing the praises of my latest mods.

This last week I installed a set of Carli control arms up front and sulastic shackles in the rear. Both of these mods were for increasing the softness of the ride and comfort of my rig especially on washboard roads or concrete paved highways.

I first installed the rear shackles and drove for a day before installing the front control arms. Around town and on rougher roads the rear end was both more planted and less prone to bouncing as it did before without a load. I haven't yet had a heavy load in the back to compare this situation to stock shackles. Install was easy and took about 2 hours.

The next day I installed the carli control arms which arrived in nice packaging and the quality of the welds(mig on mild steel) and powder coat were tops. The install took about 5 hours in my garage and could have been expedited had I done this before or if I was in a rush. Luckily my bolts were not very rusted but I still used a hefty amount of PB Blaster penetrating oil just to be safe. Some people in salted climates might want to have spare bolts on hand. The only challenge in this install was having to remove the down pipe on the exhaust and the passenger side was somewhat more difficult to align the bolts.
My driving impressions are that these control arms make my truck handle like a completely different rig. It's still a 3/4tn truck but the ride is not as "crashy" or harsh going over bumps, I no longer feel like I need a sports bra on concrete roads, and the cornering is amazing. Before, the truck would go around corners but it it reminded me of someone with a neck brace and a cane, now the truck feels like a runningback. The suspension and steering now actually feel responsive and unrestrained. Looking at the factory parts compared to the carli arms its no surprise. Now all of the other upgrades seem to shine as they are not held back by any factory bits in the system. Simply awesome.

If you own a Dodge you owe it to yourself to do this mod! I should have done this long ago.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Nice upgrade! I don’t think I’ve read anybody ever regret using Carli components or the sulastic shackles. The sulastic shackles sure make the originals look pretty sucktastic :sombrero:

High_Country

Adventurer
Great, now I have to spend more money on MY truck! :drool:

I've been eyeing the Carli stuff for some time now. I've heard nothing but good things about their products and their customer service.

I have a '11 2500 Outdoorsman, diesel. I'd love to have at a minimum their level kit with new front springs and shocks and the steering stabilizer. I guess I need to add control arms to the list!

Thanks for the write up and pictures.

(By the way, I've also been researching bumpers. I noticed you have an ARB bumper. Near as I can tell, ARB does not yet make one for the 2010+ trucks. I've been eyeing Road Armor as they look pretty nice. How do you like your ARB?)

my1stcummins

Adventurer
My original suspension build started out to rid my truck of deathwobble and to handle the rough stuff better. As all things with trucks go, I dove in and replaced just about everything possible with help from Don Thuren and other mfg's as seen in my sig. If I had a newer dodge with the upgraded steering I'd start with the control arms honestly. They were about $700 shipped and can be done in the driveway if need be. With my 3" soft ride Thuren springs these arms also helped to move the axle forward. If you do any lift or springs you'll also want to do an upgraded trackbar to help keep the axel centered. I originally started with a level kit/spacers and bfg km2's but the level kit was a waste of money compared to new springs. It really all depends on use. I've built mine over time when funds were available and I had to be careful as to not go too crazy when I lived in San Diego with that Baja/desert crowd. Talk about temptations to blow some coin.
I looked for bumpers for a long time and settled on the ARB for price and looks. Overall I am really impressed with the engineering and quality. While the road armor bumpers do look good, they are pricey and i always see them on "small manhood" trucks that never see dirt. I think ARB bumpers say, "I have a hairy chest and im proud of it!" :p
There is one spot on the backside of a weld where the powder coat was too thin but a touchup dab of paint can fix that. If I were to get anything else it would be a buckstop.biz bumper.

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Thank you for posting your recent upgrades 1st. Looks like your truck has come a long way and you are now really enjoying the rig as it should be. Lets see some pics of you out enjoying that rig in the bush soon. Cheers, Chilli....:)

Ugh...thanks alot! My banker is screaming as I write this. :sombrero: Seriously, thanks for the report. I'm still chasing steering and ride gremlins.

n2dfire

Observer
No doubt Carli is the good stuff, I love your truck! I am running BDS Long Arm Kit and am very happy with the ride as well, and providing a ton of flex.

my1stcummins

Adventurer
So what made you go with the Carli arms over Thuren's?

Sent from my Tbolt

I had placed an order for Thuren arms and after almost a month of waiting, Don said that his fabricator was behind and that there were other people in line ahead of me. Much of my suspension is Thrurenized, but I cant wait forever. I'd like to get Don's new bumpstops someday.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I'm hoping to score some Carli arms with our tax return. I'm running some of Don's HD adjustable shackles. These things are beasts.
Can't go wrong with either company although Carli offers instant gratification with ample stock on hand or at one of their dealers.
Ordering through one of Carli's dealers usually includes free shipping and no tax if they are out of state.
I've been to Carli's hd several times. They are currently moving to their third facility and will out of touch during their move.
Don and Sage are real nice guys.

Carlyle

Explorer
Interesting food for thought, i may have to contact them about a 15k truck. Someone on the Cummins Forum had a 20k truck that was too much for a Carli system, but perhaps I may be able to squeeze in under the wire...

BTW, I had a Buckstop on my last truck, solid bumper that could take a hit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94