Camper shell skylight

CorkOrangutan

Has anyone ever put a small skylight in their camper shell? My sister has a Vanagon Westfalia and I was thinking about putting one of those little skylights in the shell. Obviously this would require cutting a hole in the roof and some sealing but nothing I can't handle. Havent seen anyone thats done this yet and thought it would be nice.
Thanks, Pete

Owning a Vanagon, I would NOT install the Westfalia one - expensive and not that great. Personally, I think they do little for the Vanagon, but there are those who like them.

For a camper shell, I think they would certainly be a good addition . I have not seen these fan-models, but they look good - see this VW site thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=540623&highlight=
There are also solar powered vents that are used on boats -see West Marine.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I have not seen these fan-models, but they look good.
If you do have interest in a fan with your skylight--and I've always found it very handy--the standard in the RV world is the Fantastic vent fan, which is a standard 14x14 inch square. They come in different varieties, from basic to fully-automated. Good quality and excellent support from the company.

http://www.fantasticvent.com/

CorkOrangutan

Thanks, those would be perfect. The fan looks like a nice option but a little pricey. $120 or so is the going price on eBay

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
After reading very good things about them, I've just bought two Dometic Seitz Mini Heki Plus rooflights, one with fixed ventilation, and one without.

They have a double glazed dome, and are fitted with a flynet and blind.

heki.jpg

CorkOrangutan

I know from looking around that lots of people on here have some pretty well setup camper shells on their pickups, has anyone ever put something like this in their shells? This is a pretty long way off for me right now (getting my truck set up for camping is going pretty slow, highschool budget), but I had the idea and couldn't find much about it.
Thanks

FAW3

Adventurer
I know from looking around that lots of people on here have some pretty well setup camper shells on their pickups, has anyone ever put something like this in their shells? This is a pretty long way off for me right now (getting my truck set up for camping is going pretty slow, highschool budget), but I had the idea and couldn't find much about it.
Thanks

I have a simple aluminum cap on my truck. Here are some thoughts about forced ventilation and some other stuff:

Has screened windows on rear/sides and a pass thru window in front...for a range of needs (fan, light, charge laptop/phone) I added a fused power port rigged in the back. I can easily plug in a "clamp on 12vt. fan" and direct it where I need it. Mine came from West Marine but I've seen ones at Walmart too.

If insulation is needed try Reflectix (foil bubble wrap contact cemented to ceiling). I have this on my aluminum cap and it works great.

If you need/want drapes...make something up out of synthetic bath towels...microfiber. Tonight they are drapes, in the AM your bath towel...and they dry on the window rack all day.

I use a "Rollacot" cot...comfortable. Fits easily along side of bed as cot has no middle leg to conflict with tirewell. Storage under with plastic bins. Could fit two cots in back. A cot and a thermarest pad = great sleeping. Plus is that they fold up or come out (when needed) can be used in or out of truck...not like a heavy platform system.

If you buy two telescoping tent poles and some ground pegs/rope...you can easily run a tarp off the back...just clip tarp "front end" over the cap and use bungees to clip to the wheel wells...flip it back and use poles to hold up the aft end. Makes a great sun/rain shelter off the back. A camp chair and your good. The tailgate then is a great table.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles