Trailer build question

CdnMike

Hi guys, this is my first post on here despite lurking the site for over a year now.

I love all the trailer build threads, especially the M101CDN ones!

I'm looking to build my own offroad trailer to tow behind my 2-door jeep JK (2012 Sahara). Nothing crazy, but something to haul gear on the trails and use as a platform for a roof top tent. This will be a budget build since I don't want to break the bank (my other hobby is riding motorcycles which I also dump enough money into).

I'm considering all options and will probably have my father, a welder by trade, weld up a trailer frame similar to that of a M101 cdn tub to bolt onto a sturdy axle.

That said, I'm considering all options and the trailer in the following link is something I'm wondering about. It's meant to be towed behind an atv, and they explicitly say not for highway use, but I wonder if it would work perhaps bolted onto a beefier/taller axle/tire setup?

http://www.atvwagon.com/800aluminum.html

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Legality is the question. Manufacturer stating not for highway use, means any lawsuit down the road, you will most likely be at fault, no matter what you do to the frame.

I think it would depend on the thickness of the aluminum as to whether it would be trail useable. It would have to be awfully light weight for an ATV to pull it around. I have never seen one up close. I have an agrifab trailer that I pull with my ATV, a dump model, and it is not built to with stand everyday highway/off road use. It is steel and bolted together.

I would have your dad build a frame, making military type trailer is not that hard. If he has been welding that long he will be able to build one very easily, and not that much more than the ATV trailer is my guess.

CdnMike

Legality is the question. Manufacturer stating not for highway use, means any lawsuit down the road, you will most likely be at fault, no matter what you do to the frame.

I think it would depend on the thickness of the aluminum as to whether it would be trail useable. It would have to be awfully light weight for an ATV to pull it around. I have never seen one up close. I have an agrifab trailer that I pull with my ATV, a dump model, and it is not built to with stand everyday highway/off road use. It is steel and bolted together.

I would have your dad build a frame, making military type trailer is not that hard. If he has been welding that long he will be able to build one very easily, and not that much more than the ATV trailer is my guess.

That's a good point about the potential law suit. But I wonder if that argument would also go for a home build welded frame trailer?

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Californian requires inspection by DMV to be registered, IE lights, turn signals, chains and brakes if a certain weight. I think that would clear the builder, unless said builder stated on title that trailer was solely for off road use.

Lacy Hershey

Adventurer
I have been looking at these also. Talked with a guy there. He said he would sell me the larger aluminum tub for $1000 plus taxes and freight. My idea was to take the tub and bolt it to another frame so I could run matching wheels and tires from my JKUR.

Cody1771

Explorer
it would be fine as long as you didnt use the running gear, being in canada you will need to fill out a bill of materials form, showing where everything (frame, axles, tires most importantly) comes from, this will need to be notorized and a VI will need to be done, bolting that tub onto a DOT approved frame will not have legal issues, no more than building a plywood and metal framed one would. the key is having the approved VI as you will need to register for a VIN for it.

i have a few friends that have gone through it. you will need reciepts for everything. it's easier here in BC since we have one insurance agency for everything but shouldnt be to much of a hassle for you. build the frame, get it approved, registered and insured. then worry about what you want to put on top of it. takes some time to jump through the hoops, don't expect to get it all done in one day.

or better yet buy a registered flat deck and put some walls on it, do an axle flip and put some bigger tires and you'll be camping in no time. there are TONS of used 4x4 flatdecks out there everywhere you look, i used an old boat trailer, just had to cut down the tongue a bit.

CdnMike

or better yet buy a registered flat deck and put some walls on it, do an axle flip and put some bigger tires and you'll be camping in no time. there are TONS of used 4x4 flatdecks out there everywhere you look, i used an old boat trailer, just had to cut down the tongue a bit.

Thanks for the info man. Any pics of your build?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online