The Australian Perenties latest sales

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
The first batch for sale were 1988 to 1991 builds. I'd be surprised if none of the US LR importers has their eye on the sales already, it could be quite a lucrative business...

Old enough to bring into Canada right now too.

-Dan

MarkIIa

Observer
Mark,
will there be any of the SAS versions of the 6x6 going on sale, too?
I am after the LRPV version.

Hi Robert,
I don't think there is any clear answer on that yet, the entire Land Rover fleet is meant to be sold off by 2020, but the LRPVs are probably the most abused of all versions, are in very limited numbers (reportedly 27, with at least one in civillian hands and one in a museum and who knows how many wrecked) and are also the most sought after by collectors so expect a higher price than most variants. Some say those abroad may never come back from the sandpit...but that's just speculation.

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
I saw that they are disposing of some 6x6 dual cabs.

Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_218 using Board Express

blue bomber

Adventurer
Awesome, collection for sale. Once again denied worthwhile rigs in the land of the free. Not only a real engine but a tapered bearing lt-95 trans( hence the lt-85 designation). Correct me if I'm wrong. I believe the frames are made of thicker steel and galvanized.

MarkIIa

Observer
Awesome, collection for sale. Once again denied worthwhile rigs in the land of the free. Not only a real engine but a tapered bearing lt-95 trans( hence the lt-85 designation). Correct me if I'm wrong. I believe the frames are made of thicker steel and galvanized.

No, an LT95 is not an LT85 and never will be, LT stands for Leyland Transmission, the 77/85/95/230 number refers to the distance between shafts in millimetres-and hence the LT85 is weaker than an LT95, with the LT77 as the weakest of the lot. An LT95 with tapered roller bearings is still an LT95, if anything refer to it as an LT95a. An LT95 has the gearbox and transfer in one integral case and is a four speed+dual range, the LT85 uses the LT230 transfer case separate to the LT85 gearbox case, and is a five speed+the LT230's dual range. Different bellhousing, gearbox mounts, everything.

Yes the frames/chassis are galvanised on Perenties. Not sure about material thickness but some seem to think so. Might just be the 6x6s.

The 6x6 wheelbase is 119.7" primary and 155" overall, so theoretically could just squeeze a 35" tyre in, 255/85/16s would be perfect :)

Jitterbug

Adventurer

The frames are all galvanized. Here is a pic of my civi 6x6 defender, same frame and running gear as the military ones. It is a custom designed for the 6x6 and a long way from a defender chassis with an extra axle.
C39EC79F-D7CA-4335-969F-7F832C43F795-3644-000005AA96FB2570.jpg
A6465405-0DD2-4E1A-B024-92F31E61D4CA-10117-00000B59C27056F7.jpg

blue bomber

Adventurer
No, an LT95 is not an LT85 and never will be, LT stands for Leyland Transmission, the 77/85/95/230 number refers to the distance between shafts in millimetres-and hence the LT85 is weaker than an LT95, with the LT77 as the weakest of the lot. An LT95 with tapered roller bearings is still an LT95, if anything refer to it as an LT95a. An LT95 has the gearbox and transfer in one integral case and is a four speed+dual range, the LT85 uses the LT230 transfer case separate to the LT85 gearbox case, and is a five speed+the LT230's dual range. Different bellhousing, gearbox mounts, everything.

Yes the frames/chassis are galvanised on Perenties. Not sure about material thickness but some seem to think so. Might just be the 6x6s.

The 6x6 wheelbase is 119.7" primary and 155" overall, so theoretically could just squeeze a 35" tyre in, 255/85/16s would be perfect :)

Easy, sorry for the mistype!!! I am aware of the differences.
Any truth to the frame thickness question?

Jitterbug

Adventurer

255/85/16 will be going on mine (once it gets an engine :)). 35s will squeeze in but by the time you factor in torrerances and the slight radius increase as the tyres spin at higher speeds, i thought it would be asking for trouble.

Hj61 12ht

There are a few of those for sale in NZ now too, if only I had a bigger garage and a lot of spare cash!
The chassis are thicker and a lot wider at the back, The 6X6 ones seem to be all turbo & LT95.

301629512.jpg

MarkIIa

Observer
The Landy fleet is being replaced with Merc G wagens, both 4x4 and 6x6 versions, specially developed for the Aus Army (just like the Perentie 6x6 was!)

If anyone wants a 110, I go to most auctions held in Sydney, a mate is getting export permits etc sorted for exporting to the USA. Only 4x4s at this stage as the 6x6s are much too young.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz