84 Suburban; another cummins in a chevy

rxm6

Observer
I would really like to help you out on the heat exchanger thing but i really know nothing about them. There is a discussion on the site here about those kind of units. Maybe you can get some help there...:)

Thanks, I appreciate it. I've read through a lot of threads on here and elsewhere regarding installing hot water systems on vehicles. I don't ever remember reading about temperature control or seeing any installed on Subrubans of my vintage. After this engine transplant, I'm kind of tired of thinking, you know? I'd love for someone to just tell me what to do and what works. :)

rxm6

Observer
It turns over

Here is a better picture of the 1st gen intake setup as well as the windshield wiper reservoir I'm going to use as a coolant reservoir.

The 93 truck that I took this engine out of only had one battery strangely enough and apparently, there is a year or two where Dodge only used one battery for the truck. I still wanted two batteries though. So, because my intake took up the spot of the second battery, I had to relocate it. I decided to relocate it to the frame to free up some space in the engine compartment. Ford makes a really nice battery box that fits a 65 series battery, so that's what I went with. The way the box is designed makes it stick down below the frame by quite a bit, so I made some angled brackets and attached them to the top of the frame to move the box up. It's now about 1/4 inch below the frame and well above the transmission cross member, so clearance shouldn't be an issue.

The shift boot I received with the transmission had a rip in it that I discovered when I went to put it on. Dodge doesn't make them anymore and no one (as far as my research could find) makes an aftermarket replacement. I eventually found a boot that I think will do the job just fine. It's a heavy duty, thick rubber boot, like the Dodge unit, and is nearly the same dimensions from a Kenworth W900. I also bought the trim ring for the boot, but that hasn't arrived yet.

All of the other work that I've done has been boring work: valve adjustment, new fuel tank sending unit, brake bleeding, installed the driveshafts, installed a new steering gear, new oil, new filters, et cetera, et cetera. I have the frame guy coming out tomorrow morning and I'll also be sorting through the wiring, so getting pretty close and I'm looking to start it before the weekend is out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior