Trailer drag wheels, yeah or nay? - Part Deux with pics

zimm

Expedition Leader
unless you can recess something like that 40% of the radius, i think youre just making hook. you could weld some drag ramps up to the wheels, but then why bother? youre back to rock rash.

LJRockstar

Adventurer
I really don't see the need for the rollers. I wheeled the heck out of my M416 this summer and took it of of some really large drop offs and never ran into any real troubles with departure angles. The thing I ran into most was the top of my overland hitting the rack on the back of my LJ when the trailer was still on an obstacle and the Jeep was on relatively flat ground.

Just my $.02

Photog

Explorer
ntsqd said:
A simple wear plate tacked to the frame, and an angled lead-in on the front side would be my first choice. Perhaps a similar lead on the back side as well.

:iagree: This is close to what I would do.

I would use some plate steel (3/16"), the full width of the trailer frame. I would have about 1/2" hanging behind the back edge of the trailer, and bent up at a 45 degree angle. I would have about 8" forward of the trailer frame, bent up to the unserside of the trailer. Weld the thing in good and forget about it forever. This prevents the frame from hanging up on the rocks. Let it drag and scrape.

If you can't seal up the forward section, you may need to put in some holes to rinse out mud, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles