Winter trip, So. Arizona

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
While planning a backpacking trip, I noticed some roads that I want to go check out sometime. No solid plan yet, not sure what condition the trails will be in (although I expect them to be pretty mild), not even sure when it will happen, other than after it cools off. Likely this will be a 2 day/1 night trip. The general area will be due north of Aravaipa Canyon, access from the east...I don't see access from the west side.

Does anyone know of any access issues with this area? Ever been there? Anyone want to go? There is no real destination, as I don't know what is out there...which is why I want to go.....

datrupr

Expedition Leader
GT, Though I can not answer your access questions, I would like to go. Let me know when and I'll see if I can make it.

Attachments

• 3928.jpg
    3928.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 0

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
goodtimes said:
While planning a backpacking trip, I noticed some roads that I want to go check out sometime. No solid plan yet, not sure what condition the trails will be in (although I expect them to be pretty mild), not even sure when it will happen, other than after it cools off. Likely this will be a 2 day/1 night trip. The general area will be due north of Aravaipa Canyon, access from the east...I don't see access from the west side.

Does anyone know of any access issues with this area? Ever been there? Anyone want to go? There is no real destination, as I don't know what is out there...which is why I want to go.....

The Rug Road from Copper Creek to Klondyke is the only trail over the mountains buddy!

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
ShottsCruisers said:
The Rug Road from Copper Creek to Klondyke is the only trail over the mountains buddy!

It's a great road too. From the east some of the road has been hit with a blade and made easier, but whoever it was must have ran out of money. The rug climb is a an adventure to say the least!

Attachments

• 66.jpg
    66.jpg
    526.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 55.jpg
    55.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 2

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Where is the east end of Rug Road? The trail I am looking at starts in Aravaipa canyon (east of the actual steep walled canyon), and heads north ~2.5 clicks, turns west in Arizona Gulch, north along Deer Creek, west again across Booger Canyon and Horse Camp Canyon, then north to Ash Canyon, it doesn't continue east from there. The USGS 7.5' quad doesn't show an exit to the west...gotta go back out the way you came in.

***oops....I may see why I can't see.......Booger Canyon quad (east entrance to Aravaipa) was field checked in '72, Brandeburg (west entrance), was checked in '49.....so if Rug Road was cut between '49 and '72, this may be what I am looking at. Or, I could be looking at a bunch of roads that no longer exist....guess I'll have to go see, won't I?

Scott Brady

Founder
You know another one that would be interesting to investigate, is from Mammoth to I70. From the other side of Copper Creek (Sibley Mansion) the trail continues, and on the topos show it connecting to I70, 33 miles away :D

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I have seen that on the maps.....but never saw a trail heading east from Sibly Mansion, although I must admit I never specifically looked for it either.....

awalter

Expedition Portal Team, Overland Certified OC0003
goodtimes said:
I have seen that on the maps.....but never saw a trail heading east from Sibly Mansion, although I must admit I never specifically looked for it either.....

There was a track heading out past the warehouse ruins. Maybe?

Attachments

• IMAG0148.jpg
    IMAG0148.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • rrt 2011 008.JPG
    rrt 2011 008.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0143.jpg
    IMAG0143.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Scott Brady

Founder
Al,

That is the one. It would be quite the exploration, and VERY remote :luxhello:

Attachments

• FJ with trailer.JPG
    FJ with trailer.JPG
    886.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Trailer with RTT.JPG
    Trailer with RTT.JPG
    609.7 KB · Views: 1

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
GT -
Have you picked out specific dates for this one?
I would like to go along but the dates will ultimately determine.
Thanks
Brian

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
No, I haven't picked out dates yet. My schedule is still kind of screwy at work. Right now I am scheduled to work every weekend from now until eternity. I am working on getting that changed so I have a weekend off once every 50 years or so.....I beat my boss up about it again today. I'll beat him up again on Monday (the next time I see him). Eventually he will get the idea that I am serious....then I will be able to do some actual planning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles