Barn door strength

stewwalker

Observer
I got to thinking the other day and was wondering how much weight my suburbans bard doors can hold. I am thinking about hanging a jerry can holder off the back of the truck. I know it might warp the sheet metal without a solid plate backing the bolts but will the door hinges hold the weight? Has any one done this successfully before?

Carlyle

Explorer
Are the hinges welded or glued? Some of the manufactures are gluing believe it or not and I would think that is a weak link. Then again, I've been wrong before...

stewwalker

Observer
I believe the hinge pins are tack welded into the hinge and the hinge is bolted to the body. That must be some strong glue!

Revco

Adventurer
I don't think I'd want that much weigh hanging off the hinges. A bumper mounted holder would just be safer. On my Suburban (that I sold last weekend) I was planning to build my own version of the TireGate HG Adventure Series that pins into the 2" receiver hitch, has a swing out spare tire carrier, and jerry can holder, or just build a custom rear bumper with the can holder/tire carrier.

I see you're from Kingsville, I was born there. :sombrero:

stewwalker

Observer
I'm trying to avoid the bumper swing out, but I guess thats the best way to avoid door and body damage over time.

Yep, studying wildlife management here. Unfortunately the only time I get to do any overlanding is when I'm in a top drive...

Carlyle

Explorer
My spare hangs off my 1/4" steel bumper, truly the only safe way.

file-876.jpg

file-1035.jpg

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I don't know which would fail first, your door hinges or the sheetmetal. Sheetmetal is too thin without doing some re-enforcing on the inside of the door and Chevy door hinges aren't known for their strength. You will be much better off with a good bumper mounted system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior