New Member and Looking for opinions.

nevets

Hey every one.This is my first post and i wanted to show off my rig and ask some questions. Most of my exploring is by pavement so its not extreme but does have some off road capabilities with the mud tires and 4x4. I also want to point out that this is my work truck so everything i do has to allow me to have full use of my bed through out the week. I did at one point have a camper for the bed of the truck but it was more than i liked to mess with so i just always kept it at a hunting club till i sold it.

Now i am toying with a canvas top for the bed. I already have wooden side walls on the bed that i use for work. I think i can have a canvas cover made that will roll up on each side as needed and i think i will add bent conduit across the top to act as removable trusses for when the canvas is on and keep it from sagging. I think i can have this made for a decent price as i will already have a frame that they will just build it around.

I would like to see what yalls opinions on this idea are. Also i would love the cover to be black because it would go with the truck better but i realize black with collect heat more. how much difference will having say charcoal or tan make during warmer times and only planning on being inside it at night mostly? I would also like some ideas on how to design the back. should it just be a normal roll up or should i have it made to the length of the floor and have sipper put in? if so how should i sure it along the sides all the way down and along the bottom?

My next order of business will be the interior set up. I'm thinking of building a bunk bed system on one side. i know there wouldn't be much room for sitting up but i thing it could work. has anyone ever tried this in something around the same height as mine. 24 inches above the bed rails.

I will also be building rack with lights on it above the canvas to haul my canoe and friends kayaks on our trips. This i can do easily as i am a decent welder. Not great but i get by with my own projects.

I guess i should ask if there are any things that you would recommend i add as well. such as interior lighting or just use flash lights in the camper or anything else

Thanks for reading guys!

when i had the camper
1.jpg

as it sits now
truck sides 2.jpg

also a view of the inside although a little full of junk
truck sides3.jpg

FAW3

Adventurer
Yep...with the design aspects you describe I would also consider a canvas/vinyl tarp covering with some simple bow supports. That would give you basic storage and shelter protection. A custom sized "lumber tarp" or "box tarp" where the "box" drops over your wood supports and you have a flap at the rear for entry. Look at these folks: http://www.mytarp.com/custom-made-tarps.aspx

Plastic storage bins to hold stuff. A partial removable platform or perhaps a cot or two for sleeping.

A simple approach gets you "doing it" easily & quickly - spring is coming!

I just have a lightweight aluminum cap on my truck...simple, easy to remove, but I really value the shelter aspects of it. Your approach could work fine just as you envision.

Carlyle

Explorer
If you need the bed of the truck cleared on the weekend and only have mild off road plans, have you thought about a pop up to tow behind? Keeps the truck intact, found in abundance (cheap), and easy to upgrade.

Just a thought.

nevets

Thanks for the replies guys. Im not sure anyone is making the conduit pieces like i am imagining for my truck. im thinking a a piece of 3/4 inch conduit with a constant curve the entire length of the pipe. so at the center it will be about 4 inches above the sides, just enough to help shed water i dont want a high pitch.

Sort of like this but not to this extreme. It would not stick up as high but would still shed the water from the top.

Chinese_FAW_military_truck.jpg

On the pop up idea. I would like to get a trailer at some point but it would cost more than this plan most likely. Plus i also need a cover for my bed a good bit for work which makes this a business expense and the camping is just a perk for having it put on.

A pop up or small trailer is on my list for one day though!

nevets

I just got done at looking at regular camper shells on craigslist. There are some pretty decent deals and matching color and size ones are easy to find for my truck.

My question is how well do the canvas tops keep the weather out compared to the hard shell tops. If im looking at around the same price between the two which would you choose?

Look at the Softtopper or the one by Bestop. A lot of people really like how they fit that in between that you're looking for, a canopy when you need it but easy to take off or move out of the way.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Hard shell tops have an advantage... they're hard. If I'm going down a trail and a tree branch rubs the side of my truck... it ain't gonna put a rip in my fiberglass shell.

Kaisen

Explorer
Since you have an 8ft bed, have you considered a surplus military canvas top from a M1008 CUCV GM K30 pickup?

BCHauler

Adventurer
The only con that I have experienced with the hardshell truck canopy is removal and installation. They are heavy and awkward, and you need to have a place to store them. That being said, this is my 4th truck, and finding a canopy is always my first move.

gsanders

Observer
Have you looked for a used Can-back soft canopy? Might be a good start. If not, find a local upholstery place or in your area maybe a sail or boat upholstery place. They will be able to use durable materials and sew up anything for any size. I would look at bimini top fitting to attach to the wood sides you already have and then just wrap in some sort of marine canvas. After that, figure out how to organize the interior. That being said, I have always loved a hard canopy/shell/topper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94