Expedition Overland 2013 Tacoma Build

mvbeggs

Adventurer
If you look at his pic, he's doing ~70 @ ~2300 rpm.

I saw the pic, which had me confused. Speed and RPM's looked about right, but couldn't believe the mileage. Larger tires, geared lower than stock, added weight from body armor, and only lost ~ 1.3 mpg! I'm setup very similar to this truck, minus the gearing and running a smaller tire, and my mileage is no where close to this. Just wondered where Clay found the flux capacitor. :)

Then I became more confused when Clay said he was actually turning 2950 rpm at 70, after regearing. That seemed waaayy high for the tires and gearing. I hate it when the more I know, the more confused I find myself.

Last edited:

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
We will try and get the new pic of the scan gauge at 70 mph after the regearing. Its usually holds about 2950 RPM and we are still experiencing pretty good mileage at 17mpg even after the lift and front bumper.

Cody1771

Explorer
cool video. you guys should make sure to turn off the auto video stabilization feature in youtube. makes the tire movements really funny.

Booosted Supra

Observer
random music hahaha awesome... is it just me or is there alot of frame/body flex if you look at the front bumper? Or the slow motion just makes it stick out noticeably

Lord Al Sorna

Harebrained Scheming
Truck is looking very capable and tasteful! The music choice for this vid is hilarious and GREAT! I played it three more times while eating Serrano peppers and bouncing around the room with a :sombrero:

Is it just me, or does it look like this truck has a lot of positive camber?

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
Frame rate mixed with tire speed makes the tires look like that. a little faster or a little slower and this effect would go away. Not stabilization used in the footage. Theres lots of this stuff to come! Keep your serrano peppers handy.

Toyotero

Explorer
I just watched the quick vid on the front page of ExPo.
It is surprising to see how much the ARB moves relative to the sheet metal during 0:03 - 0:07 and 0:16 - 0:23 of the video. Look at the right end.
Or is that perceived movement due to perspective changing? (the angle of the truck to the angle of the POV)?

I'm looking forward to more of this Taco :)

Ramjet

Explorer
I just watched the quick vid on the front page of ExPo.
It is surprising to see how much the ARB moves relative to the sheet metal during 0:03 - 0:07 and 0:16 - 0:23 of the video. Look at the right end.
Or is that perceived movement due to perspective changing? (the angle of the truck to the angle of the POV)?

I'm looking forward to more of this Taco :)

If im right, it's due to the fact that its Body on Frame construction. What you're actually seeing is the body move in reference to the frame staying rock solid. If you we're to try to move the bumper when it's stopped, it would not budge. My FJ ARB bumper does the same thing. I've had zero problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles