Engel vs ARB fridge pros and cons

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
Thank you all for the responses! I ended up going with the ARB and used it at OX13. Plenty of room, was not a power hog (solar back to the second battery kept ahead of the fridge.

What size solar panel do you have? I have an ARB also and am looking at this as an upgrade and would love your feedback.

Now.....if I could get some pointers on how to sell getting a Defender 130 and taking a 2 month trip that would be great!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smiley_drive:

Yeah. And if you can bottle that and sell it you'll make a gajillion dollars just from the guys on this forum!:wings:

Zecko

The temp gauge on the ARB probably measures the temp like my National Luna at the wall and not the air temperature in the unit. The Luna temp gauge works in celsius but setting it at 0 degrees gets you slightly cool drinks. I have to set it to -4 degrees celsius and fill the fridge almost full in order to get my drinks cold enough like I want. Nothing freezes even at -4 degrees.

bat

Explorer
The swing compressor in the Engel is more efficient than the Danfoss unit used in the ARB.
So much on the digital temp what about the heart of the machine.

moto-treks

On the road
So much on the digital temp what about the heart of the machine.

If you are talking about efficiency, I've run my ARB with a second battery on several different occasions for multiple days before I get a low power warning.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
http://skagit.craigslist.org/app/3870607060.html

Good purchase?

I'm a little leery of it being stored for nearly 10 years without any use; should I be? I know that the compressor is hermetically sealed..

Offer full price?
This is a re-badged Engel. If it's in good shape $400 is about half what a new MT45 goes for, seems fair to me. Plug it in to both 120VAC and 12VDC and listen to it, it should be a solid, low volume hum with no loud mechanical noise or noticeable vibration (unless you put your hand on it). Let it run a little while and see if the sides get cold and start developing condensation. Not much you can beyond that without letting it run overnight with a bunch of bottles of water.

jeverich

Luddite
This is a re-badged Engel. If it's in good shape $400 is about half what a new MT45 goes for, seems fair to me. Plug it in to both 120VAC and 12VDC and listen to it, it should be a solid, low volume hum with no loud mechanical noise or noticeable vibration (unless you put your hand on it). Let it run a little while and see if the sides get cold and start developing condensation. Not much you can beyond that without letting it run overnight with a bunch of bottles of water.

That's about what I was thinking.. Hopefully, I'll have a chance to check it out within the next few days. Seller said he no longer has the 12V DC cord - I'm fairly certain that I'll be able to fabricate something that'll get the job done.

May have to start bargaining at $300. Just because. :sombrero:

Thanks for the input.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
That's about what I was thinking.. Hopefully, I'll have a chance to check it out within the next few days. Seller said he no longer has the 12V DC cord - I'm fairly certain that I'll be able to fabricate something that'll get the job done.

May have to start bargaining at $300. Just because. :sombrero:

Thanks for the input.
Never hurts to offer less, that's fer sure. I wouldn't be bothered going to $400, though.

The DC cord on Engels is a bit of sticking point and I dunno if ARB used the same cables. The plug on the back is unique and seemingly unobtainium other than from Engel. The DC cord is about $30 from all the regular sources, so it's not terrible. But a lot of people just want the plug or a pigtail so they can put preferred connectors or even hardwire them. But you end up buying the full cable and cutting off a perfectly good cigarette plug. The AC cord is a standard IEC type, you probably have 10 of them around the house from old computers and stuff.

See if you can borrow (or buy) a DC cable for the test, you really should make sure it works on both 120V and 12V since the power supply is one common failure on the Engels.

Last edited:

ExpedH3T

Explorer
60W, not having any problems. I would recommend 80 or 100 if you are going to pull any more power off the battery.

What size solar panel do you have? I have an ARB also and am looking at this as an upgrade and would love your feedback.

Yeah. And if you can bottle that and sell it you'll make a gajillion dollars just from the guys on this forum!:wings:

ebg18t

Adventurer
See if you can borrow (or buy) a DC cable for the test, you really should make sure it works on both 120V and 12V since the power supply is one common failure on the Engels.

Exactly. If the unit runs on AC that is great, but if the DC doesn't work Engel charges ~$250 for new power supply. The DC power cord is $39 from Engel.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I'd have no qualms at all about packing up with a 10yr old ARB (rebadged Engel) in fact my standard fridge is just that. It has bee in and out of a pickup bed, snowed on, rained on, in dust, pressure washed and has never skipped a beat. That is a great price.

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
I realize this is an old thread but can the ARB frig bracket be secured with existing factory rear seat bolts? 2012 Jeep JK

moto-treks

On the road
I realize this is an old thread but can the ARB frig bracket be secured with existing factory rear seat bolts? 2012 Jeep JK

My ARB sits too far forward to reach the rear seat bolts. You might be able to extent the mount with a piece of metal or angle iron.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne