2000 Ford Excursion as expedition vehicle

RKraft

Observer
Hi I am fairly new on this site but have been looking around. It's a great site and glad I joined. My question is this I have 2000 Ford Excursion and in process of building roof rack for it, start to build front & rear bumpers in near future. Also thinking a mild lift of 4-6" lift, 12V Cummins conversions in a year or so since it is a V10as of now. We are a family of 4 wife, me & 2 kids oh yea 1 dog. Would like to start taking family out exploreing and trail riding. My son wants to get a 4 wheeler but I think it would be more fun if the whole family. Sorry for long winded post but where in upper midwest can we go to start with & how should I set up my Excursion? Thank you for your time & opinions.
Randy

Kaisen

Explorer
I'm relatively local to you!

Pros of a 2000 Excursion:

H-U-G-E inside....easy to build a bed platform with a real queen size mattress and still have room
Based on the F250, replacement parts and aftermarket solutions are everywhere
Solid axles front and rear, they're strong
Leaf springs front and rear, simple, and very easy to install that 4-6" lift you're considering
Hybrid dutch-door rear doors mean you can have bumper-mounted gear and still open the upper glass liftgate
So many bumpers available, you don't have to make your own. You'll even find them used
Originally available as a diesel, so a diesel conversion is easier. Even a Cummins swap

Cons of a 2000 Excursion:

H-U-G-E outside....probably okay in the MidWest, but there are lots of places an Excursion simply won't go or won't fit
Based on the F250 with leaf springs, the turning radius is atrocious. Makes it very difficult to navigate tight trails
They are very, very heavy. Over 1000 pounds heavier than a comparable Suburban 2500. This affects nearly everything
I'd stick with the V10, it's a good motor and doesn't lack power --- the Cummins swap is complex, expensive, and heavy. You'll never save enough in fuel costs to justify it

Welcome to Expediton Portal, and have fun enjoying it with your family!

RKraft

Observer
I know it is a big just figuring could start with it then maybe find 1st gen explorer or jeep Cherokee to build a nice trail rig. Already have 97 12V Cummins sitting in shop that's why I was thinking of conversion. If & when I find a explorer or jeep I know I have a go tow vehicle already. Thank you for your response.
Randy

d67u57

Adventurer
how long do you reckon the conversion will have your machine sitting instead of you driving it and having fun? :)

in the long run, i say go for it, the ability to go twice or so the distance before thinking about refueling is probably worth it.

as for the trail rig...xj please. leave the explorer where it belongs(street) :)

ps before you do said conversion, is there a way to fit bigger tanks on these beasts?

gl with the build. dont forget piccies!!

ps2 : because these are really heavy(plus the 12 v's weight) you may want to go a bit mental on tire sizes and such. that will of course affect road keeping.

bjm206

Adventurer
A mild lift that gets the springs away from the bump stops and tires seems to really transform Excursions when it come to trail ability...at least it did on mine. Size can be a limiting (or at least annoying) factor on some trails and you should expect some non factory pinstriping to occur. The ability to easily carry a lot of gear can also be very useful...when in doubt take it!

I have also thought about the 6bt 12V conversion which is fairly strait forward to do. My concern is emissions laws. If they ever enacted mandatory visual emissions inspections (or worse) you are going to have issues.

RKraft

Observer
As far as fuel tank these Excursions have 44 gallon tanks. Not to worried about emissions. Ia have a few of the key pieces for conversion the big part the engine & intercooler as of now.
Randy

BCHauler

Adventurer
Owned a v10 01 crewcab f250, had a buddy with a lifted v10 excursion. Good, reliable, low maintenance trucks. 10mpg is very normal. Turning radius is comparable to a cruise ship. Before you do anything, try using your truck the way you see yourself using it, then see what you think. Typically, we don't need to do nearly as much as we think.

Montereyman

What I have seen work the best for family outtings such as you envision is to have a 4WD pickup truck pulling a travel trailer and having an ATV stowed in the bed of the truck along with a couple ramps. An ATV will easily go places that a large and top heavy SUV would be difficult and possibly unsafe to use. This makes it easy to carry kayaks or mountain bikes or additional items on a bed rack as well as the ATV.

The wider and longer and the higher the center of gravity the more limited the use of any vehicle in the western USA. A jacked up SUV may look cool but it is not a good off-road choice and interior storage that is needed for seating and for gear and for sleeping and for cooking is much too limited for a family in even good weather.

Roudy

Observer
Randy,

You have the best North American Overland Vehicle made since the Suburban was introduced in 1933.

My daily driver is a 2005 6.0 diesel Excursion, 3 boys and two dogs. One, a Great Dane, who happily walks around inside without ducking her head. This is the most underrated North American overland platform around. Based on the F-250 it's solid and proven with extensive aftermarket support and a Ford dealership in every town.

On road performance, both diesel and the V-10 blow away all other platforms. I've been to two Overland Rallies in VT and both times the Ex out performed expectations. We conquered obstacles some jeeps and rovers failed to negotiate. Actually I had to strap a Disco who couldn't make a muddy hill climb that I made with ease. Both years crowds gathered to see the carnage only to watch, drop jawed and literally cheer and shake my hand, after we made it through. The VT trails are very tight but if you know your truck you will be surprised what you will fit through. Where the Ex really shines is on the road; space to spare, 44 gallons at 15+ mpg (diesel) range, seating for 8, plus 2 dogs or equivalent all with DVD entertainment and power to spare.

Three advantages of the Excursions size:
1.- I don't need a trailer, the roof rack and interior capacity cover this need. Don't get me wrong I WANT a trailer cause it's so cool but now I can't justify the need. Plus side....I'm nimble vs a Jeep with a trailer and completely self contained.

2. - I don't need a rear swing away bumper because there is so much room inside . I now have a 35" spare stuffed away in the stock location including the carpet cover...yes it fits. You will need get a large chain link from Hm Dept to extend the mounting point.

3.- Happy family - importance level HIGH for the intended use of vehicle. Example..... I went from VA to Yellowstone down to Moab then home with three boys 10, 8 & 6, my brother and my mom. 5,000 miles, 17 days and everyone was happy, comfortable and had fun. You will not do that in a Land Rover, Toyota, Pinzguar, Unimog or Gwagon. Nor will you get Fords F-Series proven reliability and the security that you can be repaired in every rural town.

Based on the Overlanding philosophy of minimal lift and retaining simplicity of platform.........KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)
Here's the mods I made to make sure I could get out of what I got into:

ReadyLift 2" lift $400 (does not change suspension function, only raises platform with rear bock and front mini spring pack)
35" tires that do not rub after trimming plastic in wheel well, approximately two inches (just plastic)
front Auburn electric ECTED locker with stock rear limited slip (lockers will get you further than large tires and a lift)
front ARB winch bumper and winch, giving you at least a little overland bling
defenderracks.com 9.5' x 5' roof rack, made for a van but works if you extend the stock roof track system. I used Yakima tracks but, after research, found you could just buy additional sections of track from ford which would have matched up nicely.

Love to see more Excursion builds on this sight so welcome and keep us posted!

Roudy

hollaback55

Explorer
that's an bad ***** rig. well done

they have the size for a real family plus a canine friend and all the gear you could want.

Humvette

Adventurer
Awesome X

If i had to build an Expo vehicle for a family and could only have one rig (no H1 and no f250) this would be at the top of the list. Since the diesel ones hold there value so well i would probably buy a V10 and rock a cummins!!!

If i ever get more placed to put vehicles i would love to build and extreme X!!!

My first truck was a 95 2Dr yukon so i have a passion for discontinued SUV's :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior