2000 Ford Excursion as expedition vehicle

Raul B

Explorer
here was my excursion before i sold it... didnt own it long enough to wheel it thought
IMG_2786.jpg

here is my f250 i built that did see its own fair share of wheeling
DSC00695.jpg

like others have said.. the superduty/excursion platform is a great start. i wish i would have never sold my excursion and just lowered it to a 4.5" lift and ran 40's with cutouts...
here is Tanks with a 4.5" lift, 40" tires and cutouts
10-JanuaryTANKS_250_zps315d89c7.jpg

EricU

Observer
here was my excursion before i sold it... didnt own it long enough to wheel it thought
IMG_2786.jpg

here is my f250 i built that did see its own fair share of wheeling
DSC00695.jpg

Nice looking rigs,

I find it ironic the lifted Excursion with "Stealth" on the side!

I am currently looking for a low mileage diesel 4x4 Excursion (Eddie Bauer preferably) to tow our boat and a bunch of teenagers around in. So far the ones that I have found have the 6.0L without the head stud kit and they want too much for them. Going to put 35x12.50-20s on the X with a 4" lift.

I also have an '01 F250 4x4 7.3L that I bought brand new, now is on it's third tranny and has just over 180k miles. Gonna give it a slight lift and put 33s on it this time.

Again, nice looking trucks!

crazy

Adventurer
Nice looking rigs,

I find it ironic the lifted Excursion with "Stealth" on the side!

I am currently looking for a low mileage diesel 4x4 Excursion (Eddie Bauer preferably) to tow our boat and a bunch of teenagers around in. So far the ones that I have found have the 6.0L without the head stud kit and they want too much for them. Going to put 35x12.50-20s on the X with a 4" lift.

I also have an '01 F250 4x4 7.3L that I bought brand new, now is on it's third tranny and has just over 180k miles. Gonna give it a slight lift and put 33s on it this time.

Again, nice looking trucks!

I was thinking the same thing. A not so stealth, stealth Excursion.:sombrero:

brut4s

Adventurer
DROID cell phone pix (1081).jpgDROID cell phone pix (1080).jpg Here's pics of another one!

Attachments

• DROID cell phone pix (1079).jpg
    DROID cell phone pix (1079).jpg
    171 KB · Views: 102
  • DROID cell phone pix (1082).jpg
    DROID cell phone pix (1082).jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 910

TKSC01

Adventurer
New shoes in the near future!

I have been waiting two years for these and now I found a set of Michelin XML 325/85R16s and I couldn't be happier! The Excursion is getting 38's!
photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

ilike2ride

+1 for the X

I believe the X is a great platform. I began with an 05 X with a 6.0 Diesel (I was hesitant with the 6.0 reputation). Here is what I did:
-Installed a BulletProof Diesel system to remedy 6.0 problems and I have had zero issues with this engine (again I was very hesitant)
-Swapped front Leaf spring/Dana 50 for an 06 Coil Spring/Dana 60 axle
-4.5" lift gives me option of 35's or 37" tires

I have been running this setup for about 2 years. At first I was very impressed with the ride quality. Now I can't decide what is more impressive the ride or the turning radius. Initially my wife hated this vehicle but now when the time comes to load up for camping, we always take the X. We are also considering slimming our herd and we both agreed the X stays. I am a fan.

mmuthart

Observer
I believe the X is a great platform. I began with an 05 X with a 6.0 Diesel (I was hesitant with the 6.0 reputation). Here is what I did:
-Installed a BulletProof Diesel system to remedy 6.0 problems and I have had zero issues with this engine (again I was very hesitant)
-Swapped front Leaf spring/Dana 50 for an 06 Coil Spring/Dana 60 axle
-4.5" lift gives me option of 35's or 37" tires

I have been running this setup for about 2 years. At first I was very impressed with the ride quality. Now I can't decide what is more impressive the ride or the turning radius. Initially my wife hated this vehicle but now when the time comes to load up for camping, we always take the X. We are also considering slimming our herd and we both agreed the X stays. I am a fan.

Any more information on the coil sprung Dana 60 swap? Pics.? Writeup?

BnBRacing

I'd also like to know a little more about the coil spring swap! I'd probably just fab up some coil spring mounts for the dana 50 since I have no need for the 60 at the time.

Raul B

Explorer
I'd also like to know a little more about the coil spring swap! I'd probably just fab up some coil spring mounts for the dana 50 since I have no need for the 60 at the time.

there are companies out there that make 4 link/coil conversions for the dana 50. but its prob easier to just find an axle off of a 05+ SD with all the suspension components. it will require some modifications and some drilling but you can make it work. or you can buy like a 4" lift suspension for a 05+ SD and use that as a base. you will need to make frame mounts.

Cult Hero

Observer
Glad I found this thread. With three kids out trips in our honda pilot are getting stretched. Love the excursion and am looking hard for a 7.3. Found some higher mileage ones (200k) but from what I understand that is barely broken in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier