2000 Ford Excursion as expedition vehicle

Raul B

Explorer
Glad I found this thread. With three kids out trips in our honda pilot are getting stretched. Love the excursion and am looking hard for a 7.3. Found some higher mileage ones (200k) but from what I understand that is barely broken in.
Majority of the time the engines are ok. But what you have to remember with a truck with that many miles is that the small things are what's going to go out first and then go up from there. The biggest weak link on these trucks is the transmission. The engines are nearly bullet proof but the Trans leave much to be desired. For about 3k you can have a fully built Trans and never have to worry about it again. You may also need to do ball joints with a vehicle with that many miles.

Crewcab

Going to do glow plugs soon also a coolant flush maybe a trans flush bought it with 120k or 160k 6yrs ago and i believe the trans is stock. (Always in the back of my mind)

Crewcab

ebajuqy7.jpg

Had to keep the height down for where we live and it's my wife's daily driver with 3 kids so I keep it mild but it is our travel rig/baseball/soccer etc

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
You will be very surprised what you can do offroad with a vehicle this size. While I was stationed in Utah I got into rock crawling, most of the vehicles in my signature have been used for it. Out of all of the trips, we found 1 trail that my full size could not fit. little less than 100 yards down the trail, it narrowed to a single track for dirtbikes and nothing bigger would fit. Point is offroading with a large vehicle works for the vast majority of trails/rocks/mud, just need to learn the abilities of the vehicle.

XploreBaja

Observer
2002 Excursion that has been all over the West and up and down the Baja Peninsula way to many times to count .... here at El Requeson and has never let us down!

image.jpg

Kuneefay

One mod that I would highly suggest is to swap your stock steering box with a redhead steering gear. Makes all the difference in the world. I absolutly love my 2000 ex (also a v10 and i dont plan on swapping) obviously you have to treat it like the fat chunk of steal it is but pro's far out weigh the cons in my opinion. Also ford-trucks.com is an excellent source for excursion mods, maintenance and suggestions. Good luck with your build!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles