Say NO to Rock Auto.

ColoDisco

Explorer
As some of you know I needed to do front brakes on the Disco. So last Sat. I installed new calipers, Rotors and pads. I bought the calipers from Rock Auto and my brake rotors and pads from Atlantic British. Here is the end result:
00ee978ae5be0885c002c04a4d1b7de1.jpg

i then drove to Steve's in Elizabeth and honestly did not hear any abnormal noises. I did have trouble bleeding out my calipers, (Disco has to be done gravity feed only). It felt like the right brake line still had air thus pulling hard left under braking. After picking up the Disco from Steve's and bleeding it again I found this:
right brake:
ddf2b0559123b5b7b5f83ae8963af672.jpg

92e4971caca947e40e4fd6bf9d0228cb.jpg

1971d48f520528a6806d0b1c1948c395.jpg

left brake:
5ce54ed9c45355577c3a38dff7a54e14.jpg

After some inspection and questioning the pads I found the tolerance for the caliper was way off. Whoever rebuilt these at Clearly did not check mounted tolerances. It is required that the two casings be separated to install new seals, I can see that the casings are just tossed together.

So on to resolution. I called Rock Auto first and asked if these were just rebuilt factory calipers. I was told yes. What they did not say is these were probably pieced together from a bulk box of inner and outer castings. I turned my attention to the rotors and pads and Chip at Atlantic British asks for pictures and explains they have never had a issue with any of the EBC brake kits. We both came to the conclusion that the calipers are the cause. As they are a fixed caliper it makes sense.

I thank Chip and call Rock Auto. I get no empathy whatsoever from the guy on the other end. Instead I get the following resolution.

A bit of paraphrasing but basically accurate:
RA-"Send them back and we will send you another set."
Me-"Really? So I am supposed to leave my vehicle disabled while I wait for another possible defective set of calipers?"
RA-"That is the only way we can send out another set. Or you can start another order and pay for those and we can send another set right away, then we could refund the second set."
Me-"It is your calipers that just trashed my new rotors, there has to be another way. Why would I pay double and have to wait for the refund?"
RA-"that is how we do it. You have to send them back in order for us to send another set."
Me-"is there someone higher up I can speak with? It is your parts that are at fault here."
RA-"that is the way we do it. Or I can send a shipping label and issue a refund."
Me (noticeably frustrated)"Never mind! Just send the packing slip and issue a refund. I am done with Rock Auto. You have the worst customer service I have ever experienced."

on a positive note Chip at Atlantic British discounted a pair of brand new not remanufactured calipers. They have earned my business. Chip also empathized with me out of the gate. RA actually told me they have had no complaints with these calipers almost setting up the "you must be crazy" excuse.

chris snell

Adventurer
You put new calipers on and never checked the clearance? Did you even bother to spin the rotors after you put it together?

ColoDisco

Explorer
No. The EBC pads fit very tight until you break them in.

Even so, it was not my DEFECTIVE part that failed. I suppose I should have checked first. Then what? Install both my leaking old calipers? Leave my rig sitting until they finally correct their mistake?

chris snell

Adventurer
Yes, but a simple inspection of the rotor/caliper mating would have revealed this:

92e4971caca947e40e4fd6bf9d0228cb.jpg

You went the cheapskate route on some rebuilt calipers and then didn't check the fit on your aftermarket rotors. Then you bashed the vendor when totally avoidable damage happened. The fault lies exclusively with you.

Last edited:

ColoDisco

Explorer
Not really. Pads were VERY tight. Outer casing was incorrect. There is no machining on the inside edge.

I guess you work for Rock auto? Stick up for their crappy rebuilt rotors and their really crappy customer service? Sorry, despite my oversight they ultimately are at fault. Now piss off.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Not really. Pads were VERY tight. Outer casing was incorrect. There is no machining on the inside edge.

I guess you work for Rock auto? Stick up for their crappy rebuilt rotors and their really crappy customer service? Sorry, despite my oversight they ultimately are at fault. Now piss off.

Of course you're right lil' pooter; it's not your fault for turning the wrench on your truck -- it's those mean men at Rock Auto's fault.

Wahhkitty.png

chris snell

Adventurer

I'm not the one out chasing rock-bottom prices for a critical safety component now, am I? If I'm buying calipers, it's new-in-box Genuine for me, and you can damned sure bet that I'm checking the fitment of my installation before I get the truck out on the road. And if I do **** up an installation and ruin something, I'm taking responsibility for my mistake.

I learned a long time ago the importance of spending money where it counts and not blaming others for my ****-ups. It's time you do the same.

1leg

Explorer
I have had zero issue with all my purchases at RockAuto. You will find that most online part house will not send out new parts until they recieve the old ones back. It is pretty much standard business these days.

I know nothing about discos but i have been doing brakes for over 20 years and find it hard to believe you didn't feel or hear something wrong. I suggest turning the radio down.

ColoDisco

Explorer
I'm not the one out chasing rock-bottom prices for a critical safety component now, am I? If I'm buying calipers, it's new-in-box Genuine for me, and you can damned sure bet that I'm checking the fitment of my installation before I get the truck out on the road. And if I do **** up an installation and ruin something, I'm taking responsibility for my mistake.

I learned a long time ago the importance of spending money where it counts and not blaming others for my ****-ups. It's time you do the same.

Really? Did I ask for anything for free? No. Get off your high horse.

I too have bought Alot of parts from them with no issue. Unfortunately this first time I have had a problem and because of their piss poor customer service I am now out a good set of rotors and have to do the brake job all over again. What is Rock Auto out? Nothing but one customer.

This is supposed to be a buyer beware post. Not a criticize the victim for not double checking my clearances post. I suppose I am in the wrong for trusting a major parts supplier to have good parts? While we're at it I should question my vehicle choice, as perhaps all the parts I buy from them for my discovery are going to be questionable?

Keep supporting poor customer service Chris. See where it gets you.

ColoDisco

Explorer
My last post on here, I really don't give a crap if you want to shop there, feel free. Unfortunately because of a few Internet tough guys, this has turned into a farce and not a helpful beware post.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Places like Rock Auto and parts geek are a "you get what you pay for" place generally. Sometimes they do have nice stuff at great discounts, but in the end they'll never have the customer service that places like AB, us(Rovers North), Lucky8, and so on can give you. Rover specific places won't always have the best prices, but actually know what they're dealing with. The cheapest parts aren't always the least expensive, like in this situation. Sorry for your misfortune.

chris snell

Adventurer
I too have bought Alot of parts from them with no issue. Unfortunately this first time I have had a problem and because of their piss poor customer service I am now out a good set of rotors and have to do the brake job all over again.

No, you are out a set of rotors because you didn't check your work. You claim to be an Audi tech?

What is Rock Auto out? Nothing but one customer.

After your libelous post, who knows?

This is supposed to be a buyer beware post. Not a criticize the victim for not double checking my clearances post.

Victim! The victim!!! You bought a ****ty rebuilt aftermarket part and tried to mate it with another aftermarket part from a different manufacturer, didn't check your work, and now you're the victim.

While we're at it I should question my vehicle choice, as perhaps all the parts I buy from them for my discovery are going to be questionable?

Yes. When you buy the equivalent of Auto Zone-brand parts from a company who also sells Ford F150 fan belts, yes, you need to question every part you get from them.

Keep supporting poor customer service Chris. See where it gets you.

Poor customer service? Because they didn't bend over backwards and overnight you a new El Cheapo caliper? LOL.

Time to pull out the Big Boy credit card, throw down $140 for some ****ty Britpart caliper at AB and have it overnighted. Own up to your ****-up and quit being the victim.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I'm going to have to agree that the mechanic here is primarily at fault, and yeah, it's quite common for vendors to require charging for a new part then issuing a refund.
That said, my first and only experience was in 2007. It was my only experience because I ran in to their customer "service" department when they shipped a part listed incorrectly.

Wow, I hope this post doesn't keep folks from buying from RockAuto.com.

I've had nothing but excellent service from them and highly recommend them.

As far as complaining on the internet about how you were "done wrongly" is childish, as I do not know of any company that will overnight you a part and await for their's in return hoping you send the part back.

Where does RockAuto claim that they are 100% perfect?

This is what the risks are when you buy a rebuilt part.

Oh, I couldn't resist!!

wambulance_logo.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles