Say NO to Rock Auto.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
RockAuto calipers, $55 each

Crappy EBC brake parts, $220

Posting on the internet expecting to be a hero but turning out to be a zero, Priceless

lady-justice2.jpg

southpier

Expedition Leader
Really? Did I ask for anything for free? .... this first time I have had a problem and because of their piss poor customer service ... a buyer beware post. Not a criticize the victim for not double checking my clearances post.....

i don't usually jump on the dogpile, but for a second, put yourself in the parts guy's place. he doesn't know your mechanical ability. you could have made a grave error and be expecting parts for free. or no error at all, and expecting parts for free.

i think he offered two fair alternatives and you chose to decline.

jatibb

Adventurer
frankly, i dont think the rotor is ruined. looks to be a 1/8-1/4" bevel at top edge only? use it,after you file down the lip on the caliper. your pad will wear to fit

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Also curious of your wheel bearings are torqued correctly for the record. There is tight clearance there even with a factory caliper and if your bearings are loose or races not seated properly this could be an issue!

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Ask yourself this. If you paid a shop to do this job and you had this result would you:

A) Hold the shop accountable for it?

B) Give the shop a fee pass and blame the parts vendor for it?

I think most reasonable people would hold the shop accountable for installing them and letting it get out the door. Well, that's you so.....

Pads shouldn't be that tight so that doesn't make sense to me either. Drag a little yes, tight no.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Not sure how you drove that and did not hear anything

Obviously you did not even try to rotate the hub and check the clearances before you put the wheel back on.

It wasn't that the pads were tight the caliper was impacting the disc- no gap no worky

I think the responce from the supplier was good- money or new parts.

The damage - error lies with the installer who did not check his work properly

Car parts are often out of spec- wrong size wrong part number- bits don't match.

Unless you buy OEM, and even then sometimes there are fitting isses

fishEH

Explorer
The sad part is he replaced D1 calipers with D1 calipers. For about $320-350 he could have had brand new D90 calipers, vented/slotted/drilled rotors, and pads from Lucky8. And he would have had good customer service.

Snarky

Hell Paso
I don't know if I've ever seen a thread with this kind of response on these forums. I'm sure they exist, but I don't visit as often as a should. I was looking at the Rock Auto website just at Toyota stuff in brake calipers.

It's all weird reman and off brand stuff. It looks like the harbor freight of auto parts. While I'm sure you can get some cheap stuff that works, you ultimately have to take a close look at it to make sure it's going to work properly and not catch fire. I don't agree with the way everyone jumped on you like that (though it was pretty funny), but I also don't agree that it's totally the vendor's fault. From the vibe I get from their site and parts listing, I'm sure quality control, customer service, and thorough research are non-existent with them.

At the same time, where are you going to get a brake caliper for 30 bucks other than a wrecking yard? You gotta check that stuff carefully while assembling to make sure it works. Hell. You could buy a dealership part and STILL have the same issues.

Toyotero

Explorer
"Buyer beware, everywhere."

Personally, I've bought parts from Rock Auto several times, and always been satisfied. I even once had a problem with the part I received due to their web ordering system giving me the incorrect part number (Taco TRD Bilsteins)... a quick call to their cust svc, review of how I followed the part selection and ended up choosing the wrong part indicated as the only part option, and I had a return shipping label then a full refund upon receipt. I turned around and purchased the correct parts almost immediately, totally satisfied with how they handled my situation.

I highly recommend Rock Auto to people who wrench on their rig and are meticulous about the work.

Daryl

Adventurer
who the hell told you that?

I was waiting for someone to bring that up.

On a D1 the standard euro cap adapter that comes with any reasonable pressure bleeder works. It's the D2 where you have to make your own or fight with one of the universal caps, but it's still worth it for the time saving and pedal feel. And bleeding through the SLABS without needing a testbook bleed.

Did someone say this guy is/was a dealer tech for some other brand?

gm4x4lover

Observer
Wow, a little harsh? Yea he should have checked the clearance of the caliper first. But working in a shop I can tell you that mistakes like this arent uncommon. People that do this every day become complacent. The last 200 calipers installed worked fine, this one didnt. The real problem is shopping on line. If he had bought the caliper locally then he would have simply returned them for another one or pair. Because he shopped online there is no way to fix the problem fast or effeciently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior